-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I once replaced the heater core on a '77 Wagoneer. The core fit inside a box under the hood and was really easy to get at. However, it was held in place by 2 bolts through the firewall...behind the a/c condenser. You needed an arm with 2 elbows to get at them. It took my dad and I 3 hrs to put those 2 nuts on. I would have just left them off but it rattled too loud.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Had an older Buick like that. You had to cut a hole in the fender well to get to a bolt

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I think automotive engineers should be required to work on their inventions before they're allowed to be sold. Maybe then they'd invent something that would be easier to fix.

― George Orwell

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I replaced a heater core in an '01 F150. Part was about $40 at NAPA, every place around wanted $1k for labor.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ironbender
Thanks. I know labor will be the lions share especially here.

Too bad, you can't do the work yourself...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My wife used to have a '98 Dakota. We spent $750 to get a mouse nest removed from around the core. Everything under the dash had to come out to get at it. We had them put in a new $30 core while it was apart. Cheap insurance.

― George Orwell

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Thanks. I know labor will be the lions share especially here.

Too bad, you can't do the work yourself...

What makes you think he can't do it himself... maybe lawrence he just doesn't want to deal with it... we await patiently for your rant about men not being men cause they don't work on their own cars anymore and the only good vehicle is a 1977 chevy C10 that gets 10 mpg.

Last edited by 79S; 11/28/16.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Best approach is to fix it right. I'd be concerned that stop leak products would clock up the radiator and cause the engine to overheat. I'd imagine some of the passages are a bit tighter in an import car than your old Fairlane.

I did once have a small leak in a radiator and as an attempt at a quick fix to hold fluid to get me to the repair shop I globbed on some RTV at the point of the leak and after letting it set up overnight was surprised it held pressure for a few days before I could get it repaired. I would suggest the same approach if she can put eyes on the heater core to squeeze a blob of blue RTV around the leak. I have no idea if it will set up overnight in AK winter temps, likely not.

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Car won't fit in the garage right now. I'm sure I 'could' fix it. Pretty sure I got enough chit to do and don't 'want' to fix it.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some are easy to fix but then there are the others. For some, you'd better have a good service manual on hand, and I don't mean Chiltons or Haynes. You'll need a factory manual to get all the other stuff apart and reassembled that has to come out to get at it.

― George Orwell

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Car won't fit in the garage right now. I'm sure I 'could' fix it. Pretty sure I got enough chit to do and don't 'want' to fix it.

I hear ya! I used to do most repairs on our cars, now I'm to the point that aside from oil changes and swapping winter/summer tires I'll take it to a shop. I think trying to replace the clutch on a Rav4 was the breaking point for me.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I worked on HMMWV's for 6 yrs in the Army that broke me of ever working on an vehicles again. Before I joined the Army I enjoyed turning wrenches. Thankfully I reclassed into another mos and I haven't had to to touch a hmmwv in 12 1/2 yrs..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Geez. Buncha old farts. smile

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Just checked my 08. Has rubber hoses into firewall. Just pull them off and clamp together with hardware store fitting. Take about ten minutes.

W

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If your daughters care doesn't have heated seats, an aftermarket heater is pretty cheap and easier to install than a heater core.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
I worked on HMMWV's for 6 yrs in the Army that broke me of ever working on an vehicles again. Before I joined the Army I enjoyed turning wrenches. Thankfully I reclassed into another mos and I haven't had to to touch a hmmwv in 12 1/2 yrs..

Whaaaaa... You are a fu cking cry baby...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by woofer
Just checked my 08. Has rubber hoses into firewall. Just pull them off and clamp together with hardware store fitting. Take about ten minutes.

W

Warmth is kind of a moot issue when you can't see out of the windows...this I know from driving around on the same roads that Ironbender's daughter probably runs on. -20 to -30º F has shown me a thing or two about the worth of a non-faulty blower over the last couple of days.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Bypassing the heater core would solve a big part of the link, but as Klik very astutely points out, it won't benefit windshield clarity.

Probably time for biting a TTSX and taking it in. Quotes are pushing $1K. frown

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't know who's reputable if she's in FAI, but I had the tranny replaced for my wife three years ago- (for, not on wink ) on the car my wife was driving, and we have put near to 50,000 miles on it since. Gabe's did a real good job on that project, very professional IMO. Gave us all the options; didn't try to push one or the other to pad their outcome. And they're a NAPA associated car/truck shop if that matters.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I thought u wanted to bypass. Never fun driving while wiping or scraping inside of windshield. Been there.

W

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

291 members (160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 257 mag, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 29 invisible), 1,487 guests, and 922 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,062
Posts18,463,338
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.