Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
If you were in the market for a new press, rifle only and no case forming, which would you choose, single stage or turret? Why or why not?

Thanks

RM

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I really like the Turret Press!

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just yesterday goy my new Forster co-ax press. Had to decide between it and the Redding turret press. I think the Redding is faster but I think you can make more accurate ammo with the co-ax. Been using a Rockchucker for years before that a Jr. hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've been loading ammo for my 6mm PPC benchrest rifle on a Redding T7 for several years, using Redding Competition dies. This isn't normal for benchrest shooting, where precise hand-tools are the usual deal--but I'm not a benchrest competitor, instead mostly using the rifle for testing various loading methods and components, along with a little varmint shooting.

Loaded ammo averages less than .0005-inch bullet runout, and with the rifle's best loads averages five shots into less than .2 inch. Might be able to beat that with another press, but I doubt it. And because of what I do, the T7 really comes in handy when loading ammo over a period of a week for article range-testing, which often involves 2-3 cartridges at the same time. I like being able to leave the press set up for more than one round, which saves a lot of time, and still maintain the level of precision desired.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I use a single for rifle loading, and a turret press for pistol rounds.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
If restricted to a one press, another vote for Forster Co-Ax. A single stage press with the speed of die change of a turret.

Exception: May need to reverse or even change out regular shell holder jaws if loading for cases that rims that won't fit.

Also, be advised that the lock rings of some die sets will not fit well in the press. Forster sells the correct size lock rings.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by carbon12
If restricted to a one press, another vote for Forster Co-Ax. A single stage press with the speed of die change of a turret.

Exception: May need to reverse or even change out regular shell holder jaws if loading for cases that rims that won't fit.

Also, be advised that the lock rings of some die sets will not fit well in the press. Forster sells the correct size lock rings.

My opinion as well, for the most part. Along with my Co-Ax, I have a Redding Ultramag for really long cases(like a 450 #2) that are a PITA to load in the Co-Ax.

Jeff

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I've been loading ammo for my 6mm PPC benchrest rifle on a Redding T7 for several years, using Redding Competition dies. This isn't normal for benchrest shooting, where precise hand-tools are the usual deal--but I'm not a benchrest competitor, instead mostly using the rifle for testing various loading methods and components, along with a little varmint shooting.

Loaded ammo averages less than .0005-inch bullet runout, and with the rifle's best loads averages five shots into less than .2 inch. Might be able to beat that with another press, but I doubt it. And because of what I do, the T7 really comes in handy when loading ammo over a period of a week for article range-testing, which often involves 2-3 cartridges at the same time. I like being able to leave the press set up for more than one round, which saves a lot of time, and still maintain the level of precision desired.

MD - Do you use any extra turret heads with the T7 ?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got an UltraMag and a T-7, I'd hate to be without either, but I don't see any downside to the T-7 for your application.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have two rockchuck presses and a single stage Lee and a hand held Lee and multiple old old Lyman hand squeezers. I've had a RCBS junior a long time ago and a CH press many years ago.

I had shared an ownership with a top of the line multi station press. I just sold my interest in it this month. Owner for 50 years. I may have used it once. It was a "Star" loader.

I am more concerned with checking my reloads during the middle of the operation, that is after the powder is in the case than I am with speed.

Nothing like being at the line and having a misfire or better yet squeezing the trigger and sending out the loudest click in the world as the trophy of a life time scampers away. Let alone, facing something on Kodiak island (never been there dang it) and the click happens. Same thing - Africa dangerous game.

For those of you who like convenience and or speed, good for you. It's not for me.

I enjoy decompressing at the loading bench and I have faith that my reloads are good.

Last edited by Bugger; 11/26/16.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
338Rules,

No, I don't use extra turret heads for the T7. Mostly I'm either experimenting with 2-3 rounds (and never know which they're going to be) or loading a LOT of one round. Then I'll set it up as a semi-progressive, including a powder measure. It probably would be a good idea to use extra turret heads for that, but space is already at a premium in my loading room!

So when cranking out, say, .204's for prairie dog shooting, I set it up specifically to do that, which takes about 20 minutes, then make enough ammo for at least a couple of years.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
T7's ROCK.

That said, Turret presses (T7) are single stage presses.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks for all the responses. I had in mind about 40 rounds per month when I asked the question. Would volume make any difference in your answers?

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Nope, I still think the T7 is about the best single stage press going.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The thing that turned me off the Redding was buying all the turrent heads I would need at 50 bucks a pop. Hasbeen

hasbeen

NRA Patron member
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Why do you have to buy turret heads?

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
The thing that turned me off the Redding was buying all the turrent heads I would need at 50 bucks a pop. Hasbeen

How many cartridges are you actively loading for ?

How many Turret heads would you really need ?

So, what is your alternative ?

Very Curious, because I'm looking at adding a T7 to my current bench setup of a RCBS Rockchucker w/ LnL inserts

Does anyone know if T7 turrets take Hornady's Lock'n Load inserts ? Would that be useful ?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
38 special, 357, 45 acp, 45 lc, 40 s&w , 270wby, 300wm, 22-250, 30-06, 243, 7mag, 270win and last but not least 308.
It seems like I'm always changing dies. On top of that I need to get more organized. I'm going to start writing on the die box , which rifle, bullet, are the dies set to partial or fl resize etc. hasbeen

hasbeen

NRA Patron member
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
My favorite press is the Redding Big Boss II. I have a Rockchucker, but prefer the Big Boss system of spent primers dropping thru the ram into a plastic collection tube.

The RCBS primer tray doesn't work as well, primers bouncing out, falling on the floor. Occasionally one will pop out with the Big Boss system, but it's rare.

I don't have/want a turret press, other than my Dillon 550B.

DF

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

634 members (10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 160user, 19rabbit52, 63 invisible), 2,087 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,243
Posts18,447,892
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.