Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Having recently learned that the oil finish I've painstakingly applied to my rifle stocks is bad, and since I am finishing a walnut stock the question begs to be answered, "What is the best finish for a walnut stock?"

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
BP-B2

R
RAN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
http://www.woodworking.org/WC/GArchive99/1_20waltcunfin.html

I have used it on about a dozen stocks with satisfaction. One thing for sure, 6 months after you do it you won't see any pores looking back at you.

RAN

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RAN
http://www.woodworking.org/WC/GArchive99/1_20waltcunfin.html

I have used it on about a dozen stocks with satisfaction. One thing for sure, 6 months after you do it you won't see any pores looking back at you.

RAN

Horrible advice at every step...

It will add a ton of time and produce an inferior product... period...

This was state of the art a long time ago... before better finishes, fresher oils, poorer wood, and better understanding of the science behind it all.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Yeah, your advice is so much more helpful.
You should be proud.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
It is. and he should be. His advise has been given many times, just not right here. He's likely gotten bored with giving it to dumshits who won't use it.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Why be proud when you can be an azzhole. Seldom posts anything useful muchless noncritical, never tolerant of methods other than his own.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Why be proud when you can be an azzhole. Seldom posts anything useful muchless noncritical, never tolerant of methods other than his own.

Truer words were never spoken.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well, the "Dumbfecta" of finishing have spoken!

If Craigster, Gunswhizzer, and snyper are for it I know I am exactly right for speaking against it...

I have had dozens of folks make sample boards when finishing stocks to see what they like. I almost always have them do a sanded-in sample for comparison. Not one every chooses sanded-in finishes after comparisons.

As I have posted dozens of times:
Buy a tiny container of spar varnish and about 4 ounces of high quality oil at a paint or art store. Liberally coat the stock with straight spar varnish and wipe DRY after about 10-15 minutes of soaking. Repeat.

Refill tiny varnish container with oil and repeat the coats.

Depending on the wood and freshness of the oil the finish should be building nicely by the fourth coat. Keep applying coats until you like it.

Keep topping off varnish with plain oil.

Polish with extra fine Bear-Tex pads and wax after allowing a good long curing time.

Quick, easy, quite weather-proof, deep, and as lustrous as you could ask for. Light-years better than sanded in...

ALWAYS make a sample board or twelve to test your wood against several different finishes. With open-pored wood sanded-in finishes always look like garbage. Against tight-pored wood they do not look as bad, but involve a lot more work and never look as good...

NEVER trust anyone's finish without trying it first.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Show me a single error in any post I have made... want me to post some of your dandies?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Craigster

Truer words were never spoken.

Same question...

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Snyper

You should be proud.

Breath in...
Breath out...
Keep at it, you will be smart enough to handle that one on your own at some point...

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Bugger
Having recently learned that the oil finish I've painstakingly applied to my rifle stocks is bad, and since I am finishing a walnut stock the question begs to be answered, "What is the best finish for a walnut stock?"

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11571036#Post11571036

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

You should be proud.

Breath in...
Breath out...
Keep at it, you will be smart enough to handle that one on your own at some point...

You're just mad because you know what I said is true, so now you resort to your middle school intellect.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
+1 Snyper, you nailed it. If he can't get his way he has a pre-adolesent tantrum attacking and belittling the poster.

Last edited by gunswizard; 11/29/16.
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

If Craigster, Gunswhizzer, and snyper are for it I know I am exactly right for speaking against it...

I have had dozens of folks make sample boards when finishing stocks to see what they like. I almost always have them do a sanded-in sample for comparison. Not one every chooses sanded-in finishes after comparisons.

Buy a tiny container of spar varnish and about 4 ounces of high quality oil at a paint or art store. Liberally coat the stock with straight spar varnish and wipe DRY after about 10-15 minutes of soaking. Repeat.

Depending on the wood and freshness of the oil the finish should be building nicely by the fourth coat. Keep applying coats until you like it.

Polish with extra fine Bear-Tex pads and wax after allowing a good long curing time.

Quick, easy, quite weather-proof, deep, and as lustrous as you could ask for. Light-years better than sanded in...

ALWAYS make a sample board or twelve to test your wood against several different finishes. With open-pored wood sanded-in finishes always look like garbage. Against tight-pored wood they do not look as bad, but involve a lot more work and never look as good...

Thanks Sitka. I've put on several coats of Spar Varnish. I still have 1/2 gallon of high quality oil. I'm glad it will still be of some use. I've used oil since about 1960 when I finished a Herter's "C" grade varmint stock. That took me many months to finish to the satisfaction of a older sibling.

Last edited by Bugger; 11/29/16.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Old oil is a problem... adding it to any finish is almost always a mistake. I suggest getting a small quantity of high grade fresh oil from a paint or art supply store. It will cure reliably and save many headaches...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
+1 Snyper, you nailed it. If he can't get his way he has a pre-adolesent tantrum attacking and belittling the poster.

Tantrum? Wow! Sensitive without having added a thing positive to the thread...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Craigster
Originally Posted by Bugger

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11571036#Post11571036

That is an outstanding example of great work and a fine thread.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

You should be proud.

Breath in...
Breath out...

You're just mad because you know what I said is true, so now you resort to your middle school intellect.

Let's see... you have added nothing and not shown a thing wrong that I have posted and it is my middle school intellect creating a problem?

Breath in,
Breath out...
You will get it some day.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Thank you Sitka, I shall save that and give it a whirl when I get around to redoing my stock.

Simple enough to be worth the time.

Appreciated.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
283 members (257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 26 invisible), 2,009 guests, and 945 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,953
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.