Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I have a tikka 308 im looking to sell as im just not fond of it. I handled one of the bergara b14 rifles the other day and plan to purchase one. Juet not sure if i wanna go 308 again or go with a 6.5 creedmore. Will the 6.5creed do pretty much all a 308 will do with less recoil? Or would the 308 be a more versatile choice? Used for primarily hunting

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Personally, I'd go 308 although there is nothing wrong with the creedmoor except overhype.

Scott
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If I was all set up to reload the 308, brass, bullets, dies etc. on hand, I'd probably lean that way, but if I was starting from scratch, it would be creed in a heartbeat.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Yes and yes.

One of the reasons people cite for .308 is availability of cheaper ammo. Thing is the cheap blasting stuff isn't very accurate, so that can defeat the purpose. If you want cheap, but usefully accurate, plinking ammo you have to load your own regardless of whether you have a 6.5 or .308.

The other thing is the cheaper, but good enough, hunting ammo can get hard to find. There have been times in the past several years when .308 150gr Cor Lokt ammo was nearly impossible to get. In that situation you're paying for premium ammo and it costs more either way. Sometimes the less popular rounds are easier to get when the more popular was bought up in a panic.

I'd go with the 6.5 this time to see if the cartridge will make for a rifle that suits you better. You have to try different ones until you find your preference. I've used a .260 and a .308, so I know what works best for me. If you haven't then you don't know and you're gonna have to try the 6.5 to find out.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
What did you not like about the 308? If it was recoil,then you need to get the 6.5 Creedmoor. You can load a 308 down but there's no guarantee you will have as accurate of a load. In general you should be able to find an accurate load for the 6.5 with less recoil than the 308.

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
What did you not like about the 308? If it was recoil,then you need to get the 6.5 Creedmoor. You can load a 308 down but there's no guarantee you will have as accurate of a load. In general you should be able to find an accurate load for the 6.5 with less recoil than the 308.

The 308 was fine. Just didnt care for the tikka. Im more of a 700 guy and after handling a B14 id much rather have it than the tikka. I took a few deer with the 308. No issues. Recoil wasnt bad but sure id like a little less

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If only hunting deer sized game then I would go with a 6.5 creedmoore or the 260 rem. If going larger game than I would stick with the 308 win and get a good recoil pad/brake. I realize you can kill larger game with both but I tend to lean to the .308 bullet for bigger game.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I recently made the same decision, in favor of the .308, for reasons of versatility, component availability, larger diameter to augment expansion of the projectile. Recoil is not that much different, and a bit more weight in the .308 helps to reduce recoil(I went with a heavier barrel contour, which has other benefits as well).

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Originally Posted by longbarrel
Recoil is not that much different

Now that may be the silliest thing I've read all day.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by utah708
Recoil is not that much different

Now that may be the silliest thing I've read all day.

Seriously, maybe NOT. Stock FIT for the individual can make a whale of a difference. The same rifle/cartridge shot by different people CAN have varied reactions.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Everything else set aside, the .308 has been around since the 1950s and it's not going anywhere. You may want to ask yourself is the Creed here to stay or is it just the "big thing" until the next "big thing" gets here...just my $.02, your thinking may be different.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I guess some feel it is silly to calculate recoil energy, to consider the effects of different weights of components and of the rifle, stock fit, etc.

One could get into more variables like powder burning rate and gun weight affecting the recoil acceleration, the jet effect vs. powder charge and bore size (Mule Deer wrote an article on that effect some years ago).

NAHC Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Your use is "primarily hunting"??? What the heck does that mean? Are you hunting antelope or moose? Out west in wide open spaces or thick forest? The type of game hunted and the expected type of shots should always dictate your caliber selection.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Your use is "primarily hunting"??? What the heck does that mean? Are you hunting antelope or moose? Out west in wide open spaces or thick forest? The type of game hunted and the expected type of shots should always dictate your caliber selection.

It means purchasing a rifle more for the hunting aspect vs bench shooting. More specifically deer,antelope, possibly elk

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
If elk are included in possible usage, the .308 would be significantly better, imo.

NAHC Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If elk are included in possible usage, the .308 would be significantly better, imo.

I would agree. 6.5 would work fine for deer size animals and smaller. For anything 250 lb and up the 308 would make me more comfortable.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
With elk in the equation, .308 all the way. I think the 6.5 would work on elk, but given a choice, 308.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
How does a 308 kill elk better?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I think, both are great rounds. Should take animals the same.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

IDK, not sure it makes a difference too much, but an elk shot in the exact same place with both calibers one is going to start out making a 35% larger hole right out of the gate and thus possible make a larger hole in the lungs to bleed it out faster?

Thats about the only reason one might argue that I suppose.

I think both are great options, but up here in Alaska I am partial to the .308 over the .260 I have. The 180s going 2700 fps or 140s doing 2800 likely isn't much difference other than a bit more mass with the .308.

If you plan to shoot a ways out there then the 6.5 is better, but I don't shoot much past 400 yards so the .308 does just fine for me even for grizzlies and brown bears I have seen shot with the .308.

Would a 140 grainer from a 6.5 do the same? Likely so, but I prefer the .308. I am sure you could argue that the the 6.5 is better in every aspect right?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

because there are more $.02's, IMO's and more comfortables out there.

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Looks like ima go with 308. Thanks for the info guys. I would like to add a 6.5x55 or 6.5creed in the future tho

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I think the answer to this question is the 7mm-08.....

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
"The 221 Fireball is what the Hornet could have been had it stayed in school"
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The .308 has some advantage in terminal ballistics over the 6.5 just like the 6.5 has an advantage over the .22-250.

Last edited by longbarrel; 11/28/16.

NAHC Life Member
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Lol....chit

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Stick with the 308. I find that you can find ammo for it anywhere which is important to me. Its popular, not that much recoil and basically is a "do anything" type round. If Elk is in your future then for sure the 308.

I have a 308 savage and i will say that the recoil is pretty mild. I also have a 7mm-08 in a different model and the recoil is NASTY.

i would say 7mm-08 would be a good choice too, but from my experience the recoil is almost the same with the 308 having a bit more in size for bigger game.

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
.308 it is. Like i said tho i would like a creedmoor or a swede maybe for my next rifle but for my needs right now i thinj the 308 is the ticket

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hard to go wrong with a 308 Winchester!

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Killindeer: I have seen Moose killed with a 308 Winchester!
Personally, I have killed 3 types of Deer, Elk, Antelope, Mt. Goat and Black Bear with my 308 Winchester Rifles.
I have not shot, nor seen any game killed with the 6.5 Creedmore but tend to want to give the versatility and lethality advantage to the 308 Winchester.
Best of luck to you with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd rather talk rifles than cartridges any day, but in essence the .17 Rem and the 30-06 Springfield are more alike than they are different.

FWIW, I absolutely love the .308 cartridge, and have .308s in 2 different rifles.

But for a hunting cartridge I do believe that most guys are best served with a rifle chambered to a modern cartridge in .24, .25, or .26 caliber.

Aint' much a guy couldn't do with a sporter or light weight rifle made up in stainless/synth., and shooting a good 6.5 bullet.

My personal choice for decades was the .243 Winchester. Had a 25-06 built and it was a sweet shooting killing machine. Just this year i came home with a .260 Rem, and it's likely found it's forever home.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by johnw
I'd rather talk rifles than cartridges any day, but in essence the .17 Rem and the 30-06 Springfield are more alike than they are different.

FWIW, I absolutely love the .308 cartridge, and have .308s in 2 different rifles.

But for a hunting cartridge I do believe that most guys are best served with a rifle chambered to a modern cartridge in .24, .25, or .26 caliber.

Aint' much a guy couldn't do with a sporter or light weight rifle made up in stainless/synth., and shooting a good 6.5 bullet.

My personal choice for decades was the .243 Winchester. Had a 25-06 built and it was a sweet shooting killing machine. Just this year i came home with a .260 Rem, and it's likely found it's forever home.

I do own a 243, a 700 i picked up not long ago. Havent taken game with it yet but used to shoot an old Browning lever action when i first started hunting and killed quite a few deer with it. I really like the caliber. I kept saying last year i was gonna get a 6.5x55 but never did. Handled the new Bergara rifles and must own one. I guess its likely gonna be 308 but gonna research the 6.5creed some more

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche

IDK, not sure it makes a difference too much, but an elk shot in the exact same place with both calibers one is going to start out making a 35% larger hole right out of the gate and thus possible make a larger hole in the lungs to bleed it out faster?

Expanding bullets (save Berger VLD's) start expanding immediately upon contact and are generally fully expanded within the first two inches. With that- there is no difference due to being .308 versus .264.

I think both are great options, but up here in Alaska I am partial to the .308 over the .260 I have. The 180s going 2700 fps or 140s doing 2800 likely isn't much difference other than a bit more mass with the .308.

If you plan to shoot a ways out there then the 6.5 is better, but I don't shoot much past 400 yards so the .308 does just fine for me even for grizzlies and brown bears I have seen shot with the .308.

Would a 140 grainer from a 6.5 do the same? Likely so, but I prefer the .308. I am sure you could argue that the the 6.5 is better in every aspect right?

No, not better in every aspect. They are so similar terminally with good bullets that it isn't worth talking about. No one looking at a dead animal would be able to tell whether it was shot with a 243, 6.5/260, 7/08, 308, 30/06, etc, using bullets optimized for each.

The reality is that if they all have similar terminal ballistics, and they do, why wouldn't someone choose the one with less recoil, less wind drift, and better factory ammo for lower cost?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I pretty much just hunt deer and hogs down here, and I can't say there's a bad pick between the .308win and the Creedmoor. If hunting locations where shot opportunities typically exceed 300yds, I reach for my 6.5x47L. It shoots pretty dang flat, is easy on the shoulder, drifts little in the wind, and is easy to hit with. It's enjoyable to shoot. If hunting where most shots are 300yds or less, I often carry a .308win. With most good cup/core bullets, I get a bit more on-game performance regarding knock-downs and good blood trails, as compared to my Lapua or my 260Rem. It is one of the most boringly reliable and effective medium-game calibers out there, often impressively so, but there is more recoil. And then there's the 7mm-08, which for me has yielded excellent results on game, with a little more recoil than the 6.5mm offerings.

I guess it would boil down to what I wanted the rifle for and the conditions in which I planned to employ it. If I planned to shoot it a lot, and shoot it long, I'd go 6.5mm.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Expanding bullets (save Berger VLD's) start expanding immediately upon contact and are generally fully expanded within the first two inches. With that- there is no difference due to being .308 versus .264.

No, not better in every aspect. They are so similar terminally with good bullets that it isn't worth talking about. No one looking at a dead animal would be able to tell whether it was shot with a 243, 6.5/260, 7/08, 308, 30/06, etc, using bullets optimized for each.

The reality is that if they all have similar terminal ballistics, and they do, why wouldn't someone choose the one with less recoil, less wind drift, and better factory ammo for lower cost?

So they both expand to the same size?? Huh I didn't know that...why not go with a 243 or 22-250 for even less recoil.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

So they both expand to the same size??

Huh I didn't know that...

That's not how bullets work, but yes, their expanded diameter will be very similar.

There are three main points in terminal ballistics that matter to hunters-

1) Total Penetration depth (how deep the bullet actually penetrates)

2) Permanent crush cavity (what the bullet physically destroys by directly crushing the tissue)

3) Temporary stretch cavity (the tissue that is stretched outward radially from the bullet path)

In high velocity projectiles (above around 2200fps) the wound channel is significantly larger than the bullet. As such the difference in bullet diameter is nearly meaningless. As an example, using equally constructed bullets in both- if a 308win produces an average temporary stretch cavity of 8.30 inches wide, and a 6.5 produces a cavity 8.14 inches wide- you literally have a wound less an .16 of an inch wider..... Nearly unmeasurable in a lab, and completely meaningless in the field.

Terminal Ballistics isn't backyard "science" and gunstore myths anymore. What bullets do in tissue, why they do it, and how they kill is absolutely known and there is very, very little differnace between calibers everything else equal.

why not go with a 243 or 22-250 for even less recoil.

I would. That 22-250 can penetrate as deeply with the correct bullet as your 308 with 180 NPT's or have a much wider wound while still having enough penetration to reach the vitals of a 400lb animal.

Can you tell me what made these wounds?

This bullet penetrated approximately 20in, no exit. Point of the shoulder.

[Linked Image]

This one penetrated approximately 18-20in, no exit. Went through the shoulder blade, this is the wound behind the blade.

[Linked Image]

Another as above, 18-20in penetration, through shoulder blade. This is the blade itself.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cool so I will sell everything but my 22-250 and rock on. Thanks man!! Just saved me loads of money!

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Brother, there's little doubt that you know how to hunt, but you lack understanding of terminal ballistics. Presuming because you didn't say what gun killed what- that you can't.... which makes sense- because you can't. And no one else can either.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know and I appreciate you narrowing down my gun safe! Gonna simplify an awful lot for me. I def spend more time studying maps and scouting than reading and studying ballistics no doubt so I will heed your advice and just go with a 22-250 for all my hunting. Should be fine I believe since all my hunting is 400 yards or less I believe. Thanks again for the help. Been enlightening.

I certainly have pics from blacktail deer shot with a 375 hh while hunting on kodiak that showed less internal damage than those pics above so you are 109% correct you can't tell any difference between what is shot with a 22-250 or a 375 hh so might as well save the $$$ and recoil and do it all with the lighter recoiling and cheaper to load rifle.

Last edited by alaska_lanche; 11/29/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Formid,
You bring up some interesting points and have proof to back them up.

I cant disagree, one question though you refer to approximately 20" of penetration. Do you believe that's enough for larger critters like elk?

I read on a previous post you were considering a 243 for an elk hunt?
And you posted a pic of you? in Glacier close to a grizzly with a Glock 9mm.

We know 458win mag(Phil) stopped a charging grizzly with a 9mm.

With new bullet technology maybe we should rethink the old norms?

That being said, I shot a small whitetail at close range with a 22 Hornet, tight behind the shoulder in the lungs. The load was a 50gr Hornady at 2300fps, it ran off and I never found it, made me sick thinking about it.

Point being you can go too far with the marginally powered rounds.
I suspect Alaska Lanche would feel a little uneasy prowling around Alaska with a 22-250, I know I would.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by irfubar
Formid,

I cant disagree, one question though you refer to approximately 20" of penetration. Do you believe that's enough for larger critters like elk?

As long as you the bullet starts in the vitals quartering away or towards, yes it's enough. I, of course would prefer more, however I want the widest wound channel possible while still penetrating deep enough.

I carried a 243 twice this year for elk and will again one more time. As for the 9mm, it's about hitting. As far as bullets- I think it's both. People went through "magnumitus" in the mid to late 1900's where only a 300 Weatherby was good enough for Texas deer. With that- bullets are VASTLY superior in almost all calibers and people have more opportunities to kill animals now. It's nothing to kill 20-30 deer a year now in some places which generally wasn't possible 30-40 years ago.

Once dudes really start putting animals on the ground with a bunch of different cartridges with correct bullet choices they tend to see that they are generally more alike than different.

That being said, I shot a small whitetail at close range with a 22 Hornet, tight behind the shoulder in the lungs. The load was a 50gr Hornady at 2300fps, it ran off and I never found it, made me sick thinking about it.

I suspect Alaska Lanche would feel a little uneasy prowling around Alaska with a 22-250, I know I would.

There's no doubt. I wasn't, and am not advocating a 22-250 for general Alaska use. I am saying that if one doesn't notice a large (or any?) difference between a .375 and a 308 in deer, there's no way that there is a large difference between a 308 and 6.5.

You can definitely kill a WT with a Hornet, but it'd be best to pay attention to bullets and placement...... just like with every other one.

Amazing how people have no issue killing with a pointed stick in the lungs, but a bullet that creates for mare damage causes so much heartache......

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Once dudes really start putting animals on the ground with a bunch of different cartridges with correct bullet choices they tend to see that they are generally more alike than different.

Amazing how people have no issue killing with a pointed stick in the lungs, but a bullet that creates for more damage causes so much heartache......

True. One slices tissue causing hemorrhage ,the other crushes and destroys soft vital tissue with the same results.

I'd probably take the 6.5 Creed mostly because I hate the 308....

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Talk about irrational! laugh

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Well said, Bob!!!!

Molon Labe
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

I'd take it because I'm pretty sure I'd shoot it more.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Brad

Talk about irrational! laugh

Yes....... grin

I only like what I like.

And like Formid said there ain't much difference so it matters not what I use within reasonable parameters.

Pass the 270. wink

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
For my use I'd still choose a 270 over a 223 when it comes to shooting deer.

But whatever.

And of course no big diff between a 6.5 or .308.

The real question is, which one would be quieter with a suppressor?

I'm clueless, noticeable difference?

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K

Bob why do u hate the 308 ??

Amazing how people have no issue killing with a pointed stick in the lungs, but a bullet that creates for more damage causes so much heartache......

True. One slices tissue causing hemorrhage ,the other crushes and destroys soft vital tissue with the same results.

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K

Bob y do u hate the 308??

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

Amazing how people have no issue killing with a pointed stick in the lungs, but a bullet that creates for mare damage causes so much heartache......

I'm thinking if you treated every shot with a rifle with the same judiciousness that you treat a bow shot....there'd be a lot more meat in the freezer and a lot less debating about appropriate cartridges for big game hunting.....

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Bob, what game have you taken with the 308 that you'd choose the Creed over it?

Or is this just one of those emotional gut-things that aren't based in anything else? I've got several of those...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The Creedmoor is an amazing cartridge. What other 6.5 cartridge can launch a 140 grain bullet at 2700ish FPS? Absolutely ground breaking!

Scott
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
My impressions were that 300 magnums generally caused more trauma and broke up heavy bone better and more reliably than smaller standard cased cartridges.

They also seemed to hit heavy game harder,especially at distance..

When I was using them all a lot and seeing them used I always thought the 300 magnums really belonged in the medium bore category.

I definitely think that velocity matters as I have seen more extensive trauma from bullets traveling fast than I have once they slowed down.

Meaning to say I have seen a lot more difference between(say) a 270 and a 300 magnum than i have between a 270 and a 280.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by scottfromdallas
The Creedmoor is an amazing cartridge. What other 6.5 cartridge can launch a 140 grain bullet at 2700ish FPS? Absolutely ground breaking!

264 Win Mag, if you back it off some!

Last edited by knivesforme; 11/29/16.

If your a leftist, whatever Donald Trump says or does, that pisses you off rest assured, I am a Happy Camper!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

I personally don't think the Creedmoor's success is about ballistics.

In my opinion, it's about case design and factory ammo. It gave rifle guys something that worked within mag confines and high BC bullets (mostly). It turned anybody into a long range shooter that wanted to spend some money in a gun shop -- or so they thought.

Rifles manufacturers should take note of this. Any one of several manufacturers could gain a big share of the market overnight if they did it all right from the get-go. It wouldn't cost any more money to do so....

The Creedmoor also does it with minimal recoil and an affordable price. That doesn't hurt matters either.

Last edited by shortactionsmoker; 11/29/16.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Formid,

As long as you the bullet starts in the vitals quartering away or towards, yes it's enough. I, of course would prefer more, however I want the widest wound channel possible while still penetrating deep enough.

I carried a 243 twice this year for elk and will again one more time. As for the 9mm, it's about hitting. As far as bullets- I think it's both. People went through "magnumitus" in the mid to late 1900's where only a 300 Weatherby was good enough for Texas deer. With that- bullets are VASTLY superior in almost all calibers and people have more opportunities to kill animals now. It's nothing to kill 20-30 deer a year now in some places which generally wasn't possible 30-40 years ago.

There's no doubt. I wasn't, and am not advocating a 22-250 for general Alaska use. I am saying that if one doesn't notice a large (or any?) difference between a .375 and a 308 in deer, there's no way that there is a large difference between a 308 and 6.5.

You can definitely kill a WT with a Hornet, but it'd be best to pay attention to bullets and placement...... just like with every other one.

Not saying a .308 wil get it done better than a 243, I have likely seen more moose shot with a 243 than most here and it most certainly can and does work. Especially with the little 80 grn TTSX. Heck this same buddy has taken grizz with it. And it most certainly works, but just because you can't see a post op difference in a 243 and a 30-06 kill doesn't mean the 243 is just as good of a choice for hunting larger critters does it? If everything is perfect sure but I have found grizzlies don't always give the perfect shot and sometimes you gotta break some bone in order to get your shot into the vitals and such.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

oh, say:

260, 6.5 x 55, 6.5 x 57, 6.5/06....

Thats just the ones I've loaded for...

and then there is the magnum based cartridges....

I look at the Creedmoor as just reinventing the wheel, in comparison to the 260...

the market in the USA always seem to favor what's "new and improved" ( a marketing concept) over the "tried and proven" trends of yesteryear.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Not saying a .308 wil get it done better than a 243, I have likely seen more moose shot with a 243 than most here and it most certainly can and does work. Especially with the little 80 grn TTSX. Heck this same buddy has taken grizz with it. And it most certainly works, but just because you can't see a post op difference in a 243 and a 30-06 kill doesn't mean the 243 is just as good of a choice for hunting larger critters does it? If everything is perfect sure but I have found grizzlies don't always give the perfect shot and sometimes you gotta break some bone in order to get your shot into the vitals and such.

Amen to this.

The reason I do not buy into this notion of seeking the lowest level of ballistic terminal effect when choosing a BG rifle.

Last edited by BobinNH; 11/29/16.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Seafire

oh, say:

260, 6.5 x 55, 6.5 x 57, 6.5/06....

Thats just the ones I've loaded for...

and then there is the magnum based cartridges....

I look at the Creedmoor as just reinventing the wheel, in comparison to the 260...

the market in the USA always seem to favor what's "new and improved" ( a marketing concept) over the "tried and proven" trends of yesteryear.

Yes, you get my sarcasm! I have two 6.5x55s. I know the creed moor is fine round but so are the others you listed. It just baffles me when people act like the creed moor invented the 6.5 bullet.

Scott
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

The Answer is no it won't do "everything" a 308 will, but then again a 308 won't do everything a Creed will. smile

The 308 has more mass and frontal area which yields better terminal performance, but worse aerodynamics so it sheds energy faster than the longer heavier 6.5..

So the question becomes which cartridge looses what in an area you don't care about...

Availability (do you care)
- if you travel and forgot your ammo your screwed if you pick the Creed. You could go with a 260 vs the Creed and balance that out a bit. If you reload you already know the cost factor to the brass, and availability that both cartridges bring with them. Time and cost are bigger with the Creed.

Recoil (do you care)
- Not much difference here but the 308 does kick more than a Creed, if you are flinchy the creed will do you well here.

How far is your normal target engaged (how much drop- does it matter)
If you are a person who knows how to handle drop you are ok either way, but it's easier to shoot a flatter bullet, and better to pick one that doesn't shed energy at 350...If you hunt in areas where the normal shot distance is over 300 I'd go with the 6.5 and use bullets with a decent BC so they retain energy longer.

What type of shooter are you (risky shots, or not)
If you normally don't address targets over 350 than the 308 will give you a better margin of error for bad angle shots given it can keep going a bit more than a 6.5 .... HOWEVER this also depends on what type of bullets you use. If you shot only barnes or another alloy bullet this changes fairly quickly to be a level playing field. Either way if you aren't a precision shooter, or are flinchy, or .... where a marginal angle comes into play, well personal preference wise I go heavier so the 308 may be better. Again this is negated over 350 given the energy loss of the 308, or if you use lighter bullets in the 6.5 ... so other choices impact this one.

Other factors - that you won't choose that impact the results you may get..

Each rifle will "like" (shoot better) one weight.

308's tend to like 180's
6.5's tend to like 130's to 140's

Given these are short actions picking a long bullet can impact how much powder you can cram in... so if you are a speed freak do some research on the max velocity you can normally reach, the books lie about how each person is comfortable compressing a load, and I've seen folks disappointed with the top end... You don't want to be there.
300 WSM was like that - not sure on the Creed.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Energy is a theoretical number in a calculation....

Mass and frontal area, OTOH, do not change.

The reason we argue this nonsense endlessly is that the animals we hunt are easily killed with both so it's impossible to see much difference between anything (say) 6.5 to 7mm or 30 on standard cases.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
With bonded bullets like an accubond say a .308 will toss a 180 accubond at 2700 fps with a BC .507.

The Creedmor tosses 140 accubonds with a BC of .509 at roughly 2700 fps as well.

Not sure I am seeing the Creedmor walking away from the .308. Out to 1000 yards they are basically identical for wind drift and drop which makes sense due to the bullets have nearly the same BC and going the same muzzle velocity. Only difference at 1000 yards of note is the 308 has roughly 650 fpe and the Creedmor has roughly 500 fpe.

So really only unless you use VLDs. Then the Creedmor does it start to make show a difference at longer range as you can shoot the 140 VLDs which have a .612 BC.

The Creedmor does seem to give you a 1/3 less recoil (23 ft/lbs for the .308 and 15 ft/lbs for the Creedmor with the loads above) in 6.5 pound rifles to get the same trajectory with quality hunting bullets. So unless I were to plan on running VLDs the .308 isn't giving up that much even long range to the Creedmor. Or atleast thats what I am telling myself to keep from having to buy one. smile

Like someone wise mentioned before they are more alike than they are different.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

When you look at the success it's had in a field that crowded, it is amazing. And amazingly simple.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

The reason we argue this nonsense endlessly is that the animals we hunt are easily killed with both so it's impossible to see much difference between anything (say) 6.5 to 7mm or 30 on standard cases.

So true....at the end of the day either will work but whats the fun in that. wink

Aruging/learning on the internet is just entertainment we do when we can't be out actually killing animals

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The Creedmor tosses 140s with a BC of .509 at roughly 2700 fps as well.

I think you need to re-look at the BCs of 140s. The Berger is .600 and you'd be hard-pressed to shoot a .600 bullet at similar velocities out of a .308.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think you need to re-read my whole post and not cherry pick that one liner wink

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well, I did go back and read your whole post. Bergers aren't the only 140 grain 6.5 bullet with a BC of 140 or better. Just the most obvious example.

The simple fact is, the 6.5 has multiple bullets with a BC of .600 or better that you can shoot at 2700-ish, and the .308 does not. Not even vlds get you there in the .308.

So your whole post is kind of pointless, especially the premise:

"Not sure I am seeing the Creedmor walking away from the .308. Out to 1000 yards they are basically identical for wind drift and drop..."

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
With bonded bullets like an accubond say a .308 will toss a 180 accubond at 2700 fps with a BC .507.

What combination will do that in a .308? Those seem more like 30-06 numbers to me, but I don't own, load or shoot a .308.

Thanks,

David

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
OK like I said unless you shoot VLDs the Creedmor doesn't really have any advantage which was the whole point of the point but the English language is escaping you this morning I see.

Notice I didn't say BERGER anywhere in my post anyways. I was referring to all low drag bullets as VLDs and just gave the Berger 140 BC as an example.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Canazes9

What combination will do that in a .308? Those seem more like 30-06 numbers to me, but I don't own, load or shoot a .308.

Thanks,

David

No a 30-06 tosses 180s at 2850 and 2900 fps.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
OK like I said unless you shoot VLDs the Creedmor doesn't really have any advantage....

We're talking 1000 yards, right?

Why wouldn't you use the best bullet available in both chamberings for 1000 yards if you're shooting at that distance?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well I don't think would be a great choice for taking deer at 1000 yards. No doubt people will do it, but the energy just doesn't seem to be there at 650 fpe with the VLD at 1000 which is the same as the 180 accubond at 1000 too. But I'm sure let 'er rip with either anyways.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Two things. First, 2700 in a 24" .308 with a 180 is very optimistic. Nosler only gets slightly over 2600 with their data, and 2730 for the Creedmor and 140s. So you've got that.

And then wind drift. At 1000 yards, you have to hit the animal before "energy" even comes into play.

I'll take the .600 BC over the .509 for hitting at 1000.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just going with what I am getting using Alliants MR-2000 and their load data jives with that 2700 fps is easily done...might as well use the best powder available right? smile

Yes wind drift is better with the 6.5 creed. I mean you do need an extra 1/2 MOA correction at 500 yards. Like I said they are more alike than they are different.

Its just that folks make the Creedmor to be this great long range game changer but when I run the numbers it just isn't the much more impressive and isn't even hitting as hard all the way out to 1K.

Besides...if you are talking about using the best bullets out there:
https://cuttingedgebullets.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=MTH_308_180

Like I said both are great cartridges but all the Creed is really giving one is less recoil for similar trajectories and less energy (if that matters likely not).

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
1000 yards? shocked

I was thinking normal ranges for shooting animals.

Seriously all those who have scored one shot kills at unwounded BG animals at 1000 yards please raise their hands?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
1000 yards? shocked

Seriously all those who have scored one shot kills at unwounded BG animals at 1000 yards please raise their hands?

Exactly. The difference between the two is even less the closer in you get from 1000 wink

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Just going with what I am getting using Alliants MR-2000 and their load data jives with that 2700 fps is easily done...might as well use the best powder available right? smile

Right, and no doubt you could best the Nosler data for the Creed too, there are no new powders listed there either. But pressure tested load data is a good comparison of the potential of both cartridges.

Yes wind drift is better with the 6.5 creed. I mean you do need an extra 1/2 MOA correction at 500 yards.

I thought we were talking about 1000 yards, isn't that your original comparison? Big difference. But you knew that.

And that bullet you cited is a solid copper hollow point. I'm sure you've tried it in your .308 magazine with no COAL issues, and it's just as accurate as a vld, right? I've shot factory Creedmor 140s at long ranges and seen the results.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
1000 yards? shocked

Exactly. The difference between the two is even less the closer in you get from 1000 wink

You're the one who made the 1000 yard comparison.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smokepole
1000 yards? shocked

You're the one who made the 1000 yard comparison.

I know trying to give the Creedmor more of an advantage in ballistics as the closer in from 1000 the less of advantage (if any really) you'll end up with other than recoil. wink

Cause the difference at 500 yards is embarrassingly small.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I just ran the 165 gr AB in a 308 at 2850 fps,against a 130 AB for the 6.5 Creed at 2850.

I grabbed a quick eyeball average of velocities so the Creed may be a tad slow. But they were so much the same to 600 yards from a 200 yard zero,you couldn't shoot it.

I did not run any numbers for any of the High BC bullets but expect the Creed would rule there simply because a 308 does not have the case capacity to start a bullet with the BC of a 140-6.5 at the same velocity.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I did not run any numbers for any of the High BC bullets but expect the Creed would rule there simply because a 308 does not have the case capacity to start a bullet with the BC of a 140-6.5 at the same velocity.

That was my only point, and it was on the 1000 yard comparison.

FWIW, at the distances I'd shoot big game, I don't really care what other people shoot or their rationales. For anything bigger than deer I'd go with the .308, especially compared to a .243.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Exactly me either. I am merely saying aside from recoil the creedmor doesn't a major advantage over the simple 308 at ranges you would shoot deer at even using Low drag .6 BC bullets. But I guess that's lost on you as my posts don't make any sense to you and you can't see that. Or more likely I explained what I was trying say extremely poorly.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You're a bit touchy I'm this subject eh? None of it is lost on me, and the only aspect of your posts I commented on was your 1000 yard comparison.

Once again you introduced that, nnt me.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
PS, I'm signing off to get in some exercise, which is more important than any of this stuff for my kind of hunting.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My 308 does 2600fps with a 208gr amax with a B.C. of .648

My 260 does 2700fps with a 140gr VLD with a B.C. of .614

Run the numbers to 1000yds and the 308 wins in wind drift by 6"
The 308 loses in drop, by 10"
The 308 wins in energy by 330 ft lbs
The 308 loses in recoil

You can play with the ballistic numbers all day long and make your pet cartridge look better or worse.

Kinda silly to argue over but this is the campfire and good sport to us. whistle

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rembo
I think the answer to this question is the 7mm-08.....

This!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by killindeer
I have a tikka 308 im looking to sell as im just not fond of it.

OK, understood

I handled one of the bergara b14 rifles the other day and plan to purchase one. Juet not sure if i wanna go 308 again or go with a 6.5 creedmore.

Cool...

Will the 6.5creed do pretty much all a 308 will do with less recoil?

For deer hunting purposes, yes it will. Most of your bullet options will recoil less than similar options in the .308.

Or would the 308 be a more versatile choice?

On the top end of things the .308 might have a bit of versatility for the largest of game. Talking about stuff much larger than deer, here.
A 6.5, on the other hand will add versatility for anything like mid sized game and smaller, like coyotes and large varmints.
In reality the 2 cartridges really do overlap in usefulness. What you can do with one, you should readily be able to do with the other.

Used for primarily hunting

As I stated above, I think most guys who hunt are best served with a primary rifle in .24, .25, or .26 caliber. And this is based on the premise that most of us are primarily deer hunters.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I have yet to lay eyes on a Bergara rifle. If it suits you, make this choice in confidence that you will do well with it. In whatever cartridge you choose.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
A 180gr solid and a 180gr frangible has the exact same "energy", yet are completely different in flesh.

"Energy" is not a wounding mechanism, never was and never will be. It is an idea that was dreamed up in a time when they didn't know how to measure "killing ability".

That time is long over. How bullets kill and why is COMPLETELY known. It is simple- placement of wound, depth of wound and width of wound. That's it. Full stop.

If the bullet in question has enough retained velocity when it impacts the target to expand/upset/fragment/whatever, then it will kill just fine.

As for the difference between external ballistics with the 308 and 6.5..... It is possible to get very close. We compete with a 308 load that is within pressure limits yet launches a 185gr Berger at 2,800fps from a 26in barrel MR2000. It does over 2,700fps from a 22in barrel.

Yet UNEQUIVOCALLY in the field we get less hits in the same guns than we do with 243's/6.5Creed/260Rem/etc. Why is that? I mean ballistically they are so close you can't really hold the difference in the field, right? Wrong. And it's one word- SHOOTABILITY. It absolutely can not be over stated. Especially in lighter weight hunting guns the differences in hit rates (group size in the field) from varying positions, on varying targets under stress is measurable. It is for every single person. Given the same platform and mechanical precision, there is no one that can shoot a gun with 25ft-lbs recoil as well as they can a gun with 15ft-lbs of recoil. That is a mechanical fact proven through thousands of shooters.

There is so much more to killing animals at medium-long range than just external ballistics. Recoil, muzzle lift, mental focus, follow through, muzzle blast, etc all contribute to pushing one to NOT do what is required to hit things. They less stable the position, the more wind, the more physically and mentally stressed one is, and the shorter time span one has- the more the differences show themselves.

If both bullets cause enough tissue damage, both drop and drift the same, both have the same mechanical precision, and both arrive with sufficient velocity to cause bullet upset- the one with less recoil and less muzzle rise, will ALWAYS result in more hitting and killing. It is only with drastic changes in terminal ballistics that you see an increase with going bigger.

An example would be a 300 magnum using a 178gr AMAX started above 3,000fps. There is a massive, measurable difference in wound channels between that a 168gr AMAX in a 308win going 2,700fps. Yet even then- the actual "killing ability" (that is how many shot fired for how many animals dying) almost always favors the lesssor recoiling platform. Some people can shoot well enough to do very, very well with the 300's, but the vast majority will have better success with a 6mm/6.5mm even though they have less "power".

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
A 180gr solid and a 180gr frangible has the exact same "energy", yet are completely different in flesh.

"Energy" is not a wounding mechanism, never was and never will be. It is an idea that was dreamed up in a time when they didn't know how to measure "killing ability".

That time is long over. How bullets kill and why is COMPLETELY known. It is simple- placement of wound, depth of wound and width of wound. That's it. Full stop.

If the bullet in question has enough retained velocity when it impacts the target to expand/upset/fragment/whatever, then it will kill just fine.

As for the difference between external ballistics with the 308 and 6.5..... It is possible to get very close. We compete with a 308 load that is within pressure limits yet launches a 185gr Berger at 2,800fps from a 26in barrel MR2000. It does over 2,700fps from a 22in barrel.

Yet UNEQUIVOCALLY in the field we get less hits in the same guns than we do with 243's/6.5Creed/260Rem/etc. Why is that? I mean ballistically they are so close you can't really hold the difference in the field, right? Wrong. And it's one word- SHOOTABILITY. It absolutely can not be over stated. Especially in lighter weight hunting guns the differences in hit rates (group size in the field) from varying positions, on varying targets under stress is measurable. It is for every single person. Given the same platform and mechanical precision, there is no one that can shoot a gun with 25ft-lbs recoil as well as they can a gun with 15ft-lbs of recoil. That is a mechanical fact proven through thousands of shooters.

There is so much more to killing animals at medium-long range than just external ballistics. Recoil, muzzle lift, mental focus, follow through, muzzle blast, etc all contribute to pushing one to NOT do what is required to hit things. They less stable the position, the more wind, the more physically and mentally stressed one is, and the shorter time span one has- the more the differences show themselves.

If both bullets cause enough tissue damage, both drop and drift the same, both have the same mechanical precision, and both arrive with sufficient velocity to cause bullet upset- the one with less recoil and less muzzle rise, will ALWAYS result in more hitting and killing. It is only with drastic changes in terminal ballistics that you see an increase with going bigger.

An example would be a 300 magnum using a 178gr AMAX started above 3,000fps. There is a massive, measurable difference in wound channels between that a 168gr AMAX in a 308win going 2,700fps. Yet even then- the actual "killing ability" (that is how many shot fired for how many animals dying) almost always favors the lesssor recoiling platform. Some people can shoot well enough to do very, very well with the 300's, but the vast majority will have better success with a 6mm/6.5mm even though they have less "power".

Great explanation!

Im going to the range now to shoot the Mashburn and the 6.5 Creed.... grin

Last edited by BobinNH; 11/30/16.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I never considered a .308 to be hard recoiling. I mean it's always on the list as a good option for youth and women for good reason. The .308 is suddenly not "shootable"?

Is it always the case that a lesser recoiling rifle yields better shots if the same rifles are both capable of the same accuracy and the only factor left is human? So a person will see better accuracy with a .22 lr or 17 hmr than a creedmor? Only asking cause I never felt hamstrung by the recoil of a .308. I guess subconsciously I am? Interesting thoughts for sure.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

What you get with cartridges like the 6.5 creed(6.5x55,.260 rem. 6.5x47 etc.) over others like the .308 is the best of "the most with the least". The most BC., SD., mass and velocity with the least amount of recoil, blast, wind drift..., to effectively kill most big game animals in N. America( and Charles Shelton might have argued "All" NA big game animals).

If you are going to parse numbers, the less recoil of the creed wins out. And less recoil makes for better hits... and hits count.. and better hits count betterer.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I never considered a .308 to be hard recoiling. I mean it's always on the list as a good option for youth and women for good reason. The .308 is suddenly not "shootable"?

Is it always the case that a lesser recoiling rifle yields better shots if the same rifles are both capable of the same accuracy and the only factor left is human? So a person will see better accuracy with a .22 lr or 17 hmr than a creedmor? Only asking cause I never felt hamstrung by the recoil of a .308. I guess subconsciously I am? Interesting thoughts for sure.

It's not just recoil, but yes given everything else being the same a gun producing 5ft-lbs recoil will be shot better than a gun producing 15ft-lbs recoil. NOT JUST from pure recoil. One of the biggest things is to get people to learn is how to set themselves up and shoot the gun to catch their own trace and impacts AND then them learning to do it aggressively for every shot. Just as you should "fight" to get the most stable position possible, you should "fight" to catch your own trace, splash, and impacts on every shot fired.

There is stacking effect with doing so. Yes, watching the hit through the scope is good for follow through with helps greatly with proper form before the round has left the muzzle, but it does WAY more than that. When you make a call- elevation, wind, lead, or positionally AND you watch the results of the call in real time - your brain links the two consciously and subconsciously. You immediately learn from that one shot more than you would from multiple shots where you don't catch trace/impacts.

It is absolutely possible to spot your own shots with a 7lb 308 and 180gr bullets- I spot around 80% of the rounds fired from a 300WM past around 200 yards with a decent position, but it is significantly easier to do so, with far more consistent results with a 7lb 6mm or 6.5mm with close to the same case capacity as the 308.

Let's say that for example, peak shooting performance will be with a 223 and 75gr AMAX in a 10lb rifle- that's the baseline. Everything we do more than that will decrease our shooting performance. Less rifle weight= lower hit rates. More recoil- lower hit rate. More muzzle flip- lower hit rate. Etc, etc. Now when you add other variables such as range, wind, size of animal, etc it can and will change that. I may NEED (or want) the terminal ballistics difference with a 308 and 180gr TSX at 300 yards, BUT I will not shoot it as well. I may need (or want) the decreased wind drift of the 6.5Creed with147gr ELD's at 600 yards, but I won't shoot it as well- HOWEVER, I may get a higher hit rate due to less wind errors.

All of that is to say there is a sweet spot. The sweet spot for mid range shooting is somewhere between a 223 with 77's and a 308 with 185's and it meets around the 6mm and 6.5mm chamberings. They provide excellent external ballistics, very good terminal ballistics, are relatively easy to shoot, and tend to get shot A LOT. Those 4 things combined account for a lot more in the killing equation than any difference in "power".

If one were to take the wound channel of a 6.5Creed with good bullets and imagine that being put into the chest of an elk... There isn' a human alive that would say- "that ain't going to work". Yes, you have to hit the chest.... You also have to hit the chest with a 308amd a gut shot elk with one is a guy shot elk with the other.

With bullets, most hunters do not seem to realize that good companies design and produce bullets for OPTIMUM performance against whatever target they want. It is the reason (along with knowledge) that 223 and 9mm have went from "marginal" to being the absolute #1 choice of those how can choose, for killing bipeds. Animals are no different. It is not a big thing to design a .224 bullet to penetrate deep enough to get through an elks shoulder and reach the vitals- though to do so means a narrower wound channel. That's what you get when going bigger and/or heavier- a wider wound channel for the same penetration depth (or deeper penetration for the same width).

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
My 308 does 2600fps with a 208gr amax with a B.C. of .648.

Well, if we're talking comparison of the cartridges and not what your particular rifle will do, this points up one advantage of the creed, really the reason it was developed.

Because I'm sure that's not a standard factory magazine that works well with a 208.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cool!! Thanks for taking the ruins to explain! I appreciate it. Guess I am glad I keep shots under 400 yards where you don't need a masters in ballistics and such to hit an 8" kill zone.

Seems like this recoil aspect makes me wonder how anyone kills anything without shooting a 22 lr. I would hate to be a new hunter with my shiny new 30-06 ready to go only to be told that cartridge is way to big to shoot well with got trade it in for a 243 so you can watch your shots in the scope.

I guess I will just stick to hunting where my obvious ignorance is bliss and I didn't know I was over powered hunting with a .308

In all seriousness I do appreciate the explanation though

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Really --- Ok the guy should use a 6.5 mm pellet gun on elk

Energy doesn't count... really

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
No, it doesn't. Explain how you think "ft-lbs energy" measures wounding capacity?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am not quite sure why you still have a 300wm? Can you even hit anything with all that recoil? Would a muzzle break be a great equalizer in all of this low recoil equals better shooter biz?

Or better yet put a muzzle break on a 223 and 243 and have the ultimate killing machine?

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
No reason to be obtuse, but that's easy. Mainly sentimental reasons. It does have an advantage in terminal ballistics with certain projectiles, but that's not why I shoot it.

I shoot lots of 300WM, 300Norma, and 338 Lapua..... in 16-20lb sniper rifles.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was jokin about the 300 wm deal and sentimental reasons is as good as any for keeping a rifle I have one of those myself.

But seriously would putting a muzzle brake on a 243 or 223 make for an even better sweet spot for shooters?

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
It would and a suppressor better than a brake. In general I don't want a brake on regular hunting rifles. I've no issue with them on dedicated LR guns and do have a couple of regular rifles with them but don't really dig them. They are a great way to control muzzle flip which is a help with really light weight guns.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ok thanks! I appreciate all the advice sir.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

Really --- Ok the guy should use a 6.5 mm pellet gun on elk

Energy doesn't count... really

No it doesn't...but i am late to the party since Formid already answered.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
No, it doesn't. Explain how you think "ft-lbs energy" measures wounding capacity?

E = Mass * velocity ^2 divided by K (K is a constant)...

Some people understand bullet has too transfer it's energy (which depends on how well a guy knows how to pick the right bullet). However - it's transferring energy, so the terminal performance comes from one of these 2 (mass or velocity).

Mass has a linear relationship to terminal performance with "what it hits" -- bigger bullets moving at the same speed = more energy that can be potentially transferred - of course you could screw this up by using a FMJ right.

Velocity has a non-linear and changes over time...
- Low SD vs. High SD over distance velocity can actually cross depending on range, and bullet choice.

So was the question what is energy ? - well that's math.

The answer is - it can't transfer energy it doesn't have.. smile

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

E = Mass * velocity ^2 divided by K (K is a constant)...

Some people understand bullet has too transfer it's energy (which depends on how well a guy knows how to pick the right bullet). However - it's transferring energy, so the terminal performance comes from one of these 2 (mass or velocity).

Mass has a linear relationship to terminal performance with "what it hits" -- bigger bullets moving at the same speed = more energy that can be potentially transferred - of course you could screw this up by using a FMJ right.

Velocity has a non-linear and changes over time...
- Low SD vs. High SD over distance velocity can actually cross depending on range, and bullet choice.

So was the question what is energy ? - well that's math.

The answer is - it can't transfer energy it doesn't have.. smile

Bullets don't kill by transferring "energy".

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

No they kill by pure Fugg'n magic...

A wonder why people get hurt in car accidents, or even why cars just don't pass through each other when they collide.

So what's the problem here the word Transferring, or the word Energy.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
While your at it explain what happens to the energy of a bullet that is recovered under the hide of an elk on the far side.

The bullet stopped in the animal... did the energy magically disappear ?

Now I need to go out and touch a deer with a bullet to see if it falls over and dies.

I have heard that a deer can faint from a bullet shot just over it's head so maybe you have something here.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

No they kill by pure Fugg'n magic...

A wonder why people get hurt in car accidents, or even why cars just don't pass through each other when they collide.

So what's the problem here the word Transferring, or the word Energy.

What type of energy? Kinetic? ..or?

― G. Orwell

_Eileen Clarke

- Alexander Hamilton

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

M*V squared is a form of kinetic

Of course there are a great deal more factors here

- but saying you can ignore math is just posturing in an argument, which is not exactly being honest.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
While your at it explain what happens to the energy of a bullet that is recovered under the hide of an elk on the far side.

The bullet stopped in the animal... did the energy magically disappear ?

Now I need to go out and touch a deer with a bullet to see if it falls over and dies.

I have heard that a deer can faint from a bullet shot just over it's head so maybe you have something here.

Bullets kill by breaking bones,destroying muscle ,flesh, and vital tissue through the mechanism of expansion and penetration.

There may be an "energy" component to all of this but it is virtually worthless in predicting or quantifying terminal bullet performance.

All it means when a bullet is recovered agains the off side hide, is that the bullet expanded to a broad frontal area,and was "caught" by the stretchy hide. On its way through the animal the expansion caused gobs of tissue to wad up ahead of it as it expanded to a broad frontal area(creating that cavitation we hear about),and crushed that vital tissue, killing the animal.

It has no less, and no more, killing power than a bullet that did exactly the same thing but managed to exit by breaking through the off side hide. In fact the same bullet that was recovered at 100 yards might well exit the animal at 300 yards.

Can you tell me why?

Here is what they look like. You can compute the "energy transfer" of this bullet in a bull elk but I suspect you would be more accurate if you stated that it smashed a few neck vertebrae and pulped neck muscle before it came to rest under his chin.

Energy "transfer" had nothing to do with it.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by BobinNH; 11/30/16.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
A 650 grain arrow traveling at 150fps generates less than 40 ft lbs of KE. A 50 gr .22 varmint bullet traveling over 3500 fps puts out something like 1500 ft lbs. of KE.

Shoot both into the shoulder of a bull elk and see which one has a better chance of pass through. KE doesn't mean a hole lot.

― G. Orwell

_Eileen Clarke

- Alexander Hamilton

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I can tell you that if I drop a bullet on your head - it probably won't hurt you.

However, If I give it more energy - it can and probably will kill you. Savvy !

Yes the energy gets used by breaking bones, cavitation to cause a huge hole, and destroying material...

Without engery you can't do that - so yes you made my point well.

At least we agree that bullets make holes.

Remember my only arguement was that if a bullet doesn't have energy it can't transfer it.

Given you can set a bullet on your hand, arm, leg and so forth without it making a big old hole ... I think I may have something here.

Hint - if you said >.. hey spot, do you mean "transform" the energy into X, Y, or Z... you'd be right...

Last edited by Spotshooter; 11/30/16.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I can tell you that if I drop a bullet on your head - it probably won't hurt you.

However, If I give it more energy - it can and probably will kill you. Savvy !

No....if you give it more velocity it might kill him. smile

You did not read Fackler.

Old myths die hard.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yo, this thread is harsh!

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
LOL...

Fackler, not Falker... (Falker wrote a research paper..). He wasn't calling me a name.

I the ranges and speeds provided with the same powder column under them they are right - there really isn't much difference.

More deer have been killed by 22's than anything else - which is why I said "energy" that isn't there can't be transferred..

Both rounds have plenty for the most part...

Yes I was troll'n and they were bitting... Bad Spot !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's arguable as to whether energy kills or not. Without imparted energy a bullet is useless. To make a bullet move requires energy. To make a bullet expand requires energy. To make a bullet penetrate any given substance requires energy.

An arrow kills by a different mechanism than a bullet and requires less kinetic energy to achieve it's purpose. Still, without imparted energy an arrow does nothing useful.

It is less than useful and requires too much energy to argue these things endlessly.

I'd like to hear more about the Bergara rifles.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Why do I find myself choosing a 308 Win. over any of the half dozen 6.5's I own.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It sure ain't for lack of confidence!

Quien Sabe!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Geedub, couldn't care less what size hole is in the barrel of those riffles, a guy could look at those things all day long! Beautiful tools in so many ways.

― G. Orwell

_Eileen Clarke

- Alexander Hamilton

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
by no means do I denigrate the 6.5's

[Linked Image]

6.5 x 55

[Linked Image]

260 Remington

[Linked Image]

6.5 x 284 (my fav of the 6.5's)

[Linked Image]

6.5 Leopard (6.5-300 WSM)

I just seem to reach for the 30's more these days!

Quien Sabe!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Your killing me, so your saying the 308 isn't a modern cartridge?

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As modern as your 1950 Chevy.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
so your saying the 308 isn't a modern cartridge?

No idea where you came up with that.

Seems you're reaching for an argument that simply isn't there.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

However, If I give it more energy - it can and probably will kill you.

I can tell you that if I accelerate a soccer ball by kicking it hard, it will bounce off your chest harmlessly. But if I accelerate an arrow of similar weight to the velocity giving it the same kinetic energy, it won't.

They'd have the same kinetic energy, but which would you prefer?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
One problem with energy numbers as a quantifier of killing power is that it completely ignores bullet construction,penetration, and expansion after they hit.

Another problem is the energy isn't being "dumped"....you can't correlate wound channel size and nature to energy figures.

This business of the "bullet staying inside the animal for pure energy dump" is silly nonsense from another era. By the time the bullet reaches the off side hide all the serious damage is done and the animal will die whether the bullet exits or not,assuming you shot him right in the first place.

I can't believe the notion has any traction today.

Last edited by BobinNH; 12/01/16.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

This business of the "bullet staying inside the animal for pure energy dump" is silly nonsense from another era. By the time the bullet reaches the off side hide all the serious damage is done and ...

I can't believe the notion has any traction today.

Totally AGREE.

Much like the 'theory' of brush bucking bullets.

Altho the PROOF is old...

Some people just won't give up.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
It's arguable as to whether energy kills or not. Without imparted energy a bullet is useless. To make a bullet move requires energy. To make a bullet expand requires energy. To make a bullet penetrate any given substance requires energy.

Oh be careful there Mr. w--
I got grilled for saying those things 'here' sometime back.
What some WILL NOT admit is ...
WITHOUT energy >> nothing gets done.

Right On Mr. w.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What kills is sufficient disruption of organization. It requires energy to do that but energy itself is not adequate - it is the manner of energy transference that matters.

You could, in theory and depending on location, push an object through an animal very slowly, say over a period of many months, and the animal could live. Using the same object and amount of energy but do it in a small fraction of a second and the animal would often die rather quickly.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It is an observable fact that velocity kills. If all else is equal, using an expanding bullet, the faster bullet will drop a deer quicker than a slower bullet of the same weight and type.

The .308 is as reliable a deer killer as you could ask for. Use a 150 gr expanding bullet and it will kill any deer as dead as can be. But it is not unusual for a deer to run before falling.

Add energy in the form of velocity (kinetic energy) by using a larger cartridge and the same bullet as used in the .308 and the chances of the deer running decrease.

In fact, you can use a smaller diameter bullet, and if you add enough velocity the chances of a deer running still decrease. For most deer hunting, I'd put the .243 against the .308 on any given day and expect deer to drop quicker with the smaller faster bullet.

YMMV, but I'm not alone in my observations.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Velocity itself kills nothing. If it did, the light rays and subatomic particles and radio waves that hit and/or pass through your body would kill you instantly.

It is the disruption of organization that kills. That takes energy. Higher velocity for a given mass yields increased energy but again, if velocity killed you cold shoot an animal in its foot and kill it just as reliably as if you shot it through the heart.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll stand on what I said above. This is not the light ray forum, the subatomic particle forum, or the radio wave forum. This is the rifle forum. Any sane discussion of cartridges and bullets must conclude that velocity kills.

And, IMO, more is generally better.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'll stand on what I said above. This is not the light ray forum, the subatomic particle forum, or the radio wave forum. This is the rifle forum. Any sane discussion of cartridges and bullets must conclude that velocity kills.

Meh.

I find it has a lot more to do with matching the velocity to the performance characteristics of the projectile. During a 2 year period of our great pig jihad circa 2009-2010 I killed over 200 wild hogs and 6 or 7 deer with a Benelli R1 30-06 carbine shooting 150grn Hornady SST's @2650fps. That load dropped them like God himself reached out and turned their power switch off. The number of DRT's was staggering, probably 90+%. The wound channels were messy!

David

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I'll agree that, other things being equal, more velocity is generally better. That was pretty much the point of the second paragraph in my post above.

Still, it isn't the velocity that kills, it is the disruption of vital organization. Given a choice of a faster FMJ or a slower but fast enough expanding bullet, I'll take the expanding bullet for game every time as they do a better job of transferring energy.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Canazes9

Meh.

I find it has a lot more to do with matching the velocity to the performance characteristics of the projectile. During a 2 year period of our great pig jihad circa 2009-2010 I killed over 200 wild hogs and 6 or 7 deer with a Benelli R1 30-06 carbine shooting 150grn Hornady SST's @2650fps. That load dropped them like God himself reached out and turned their power switch off. The number of DRT's was staggering, probably 90+%. The wound channels were messy!

David

Bingo!

And BTW, the 6.5CM is a nice cartridge, but it's no speed-demon wink

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WhelenAway

Bingo!

And BTW, the 6.5CM is a nice cartridge, but it's no speed-demon wink

Compared to what? This whole thread is about a choice between the creedmoor and the .308.

There is no bad choice to be made between the two, but the creedmoor is certainly faster with it's middle weight range deer bullets, say 120-130 gr. And, pursuant to the OP, note that the recoil is less, as well.

Advantage 6.5...

FWIW, the weight/diameter ratio (SD) puts the 120/6.5 bullet exactly identical to the 165/.308

At any rate, use what you will, there is no wrong answer. If you wanna use the horse rifle, AKA the 30-06, that's fine. You'll do OK if you shoot it well.
Same with the .17 Rem. They are more alike than different.

Last edited by johnw; 12/04/16.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A lot of mental m..... going on. What a thread.

In the end they all work. Scott - no doubt the CM is a Johnny come lately since the Swede produced these ballistics in the 1800's. That said yes factory ammo and rifles with affordable quality ammo that flattens America's most common game animal with no fuss and great accuracy has introduced many to 6.5's and their virtues. I was shooting Swedes 20+ years ago and a 6.5-308 before the 260 was out. Owned a CM too and now have one 6.5. A Lapua as you know. All fine modest rounds.

6.5's aside most any normal round kills well with good bullets. The game changer for me and the 308 is the 130 TTSX. Run #'s and you find it hits within a couple of inches of a 260 130 at 400yds w a 200 POA/POI. Most game IMO is killer this side of a 1/4 mile. I could run either. Never "needed" a 308 but would like to try one sometime and with the 130 for lighter recoil.

Neither is a wrong choice and both very capable. It's like ice cream...pick a flavor you like.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Sorry I am late to the party I have been deer hunting!

The Begera looks like a nice rifle are you hunting the woods or across fields?

If I was buying the rifle I would opt for the 308 and a good scope suited to where I was hunting. Having cheap readily available cartridges is a big plus. I have killed a lot of deer with cheap power points/core locs, and I have killed a few with the 223 and TSX bullets.

If I had to choose one rifle to hunt with the rest of my life it would be the 308 Winchester. It will always work and there will always be cartridges available for it.

The cheap power points in the 308 and 30-06 as sold at Walmart for under $20 a box will kill any deer you hit right them with. Funny stuff.

Final question, how does a 140 grain bullet shot from a Creedmore or a 7-08 in an 7.5 pound rifle kick that much less than a 150 grain 308 fired from an 7.5 pound rifle provided velocity about the same?

Hope you enjoy your new rifle what ever it turns out to be!

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Sorry I am late to the party I have been deer hunting!

The Begera looks like a nice rifle are you hunting the woods or across fields?

If I was buying the rifle I would opt for the 308 and a good scope suited to where I was hunting. Having cheap readily available cartridges is a big plus. I have killed a lot of deer with cheap power points/core locs, and I have killed a few with the 223 and TSX bullets.

If I had to choose one rifle to hunt with the rest of my life it would be the 308 Winchester. It will always work and there will always be cartridges available for it.

The cheap power points in the 308 and 30-06 as sold at Walmart for under $20 a box will kill any deer you hit right them with. Funny stuff.

Final question, how does a 140 grain bullet shot from a Creedmore or a 7-08 in an 7.5 pound rifle kick that much less than a 150 grain 308 fired from an 7.5 pound rifle provided velocity about the same?

Hope you enjoy your new rifle what ever it turns out to be!

Thanks jimmy. Mostly open fields ,occasionally in the woods/timber. Probably leaning towards the 308. Heck i still have 5-6 boxes of ammo left over from my 308 tikka anyway. I would definitely consider a creedmoor in the future or possibly a swede or .260

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jimmyp

The 150/.308 and the 140/6.5 are an apples-oranges comparison.
In any given bullet style you'd have to drop to around 110 grains or so in the .260 to get an SD and a BC that was as low as the 150/.308.
And in fact, those who have 6.5 rifles that shoot them accurately have great success with the 100 gr ballistic tip, on deer. A 100/6.5 almost equals the 150/.308, ballistics wise.

In any given bullet style a 6.5/140 would compare very favorably to a 180/.308.

Same goes for the .243 with various 90 and 100 gr bullets. They don't really punch above their weight, but it might seem they do to someone who had only shot larger rifles on game. They are very effective.

Savvy riflemen figured this out 70 years or so ago. Old traditions die hard. And that aint' all bad. The 30-06 is at the core of every American rifleman's consciousness.
It was the cartridge that was prevalent and available at the point in time where everyday guys began to travel to hunt.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I know one thing for sure.

I do like the amount of "leakage" I get when employing bullets of larger caliber and increased mass.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I like having a blood trail a blind man can follow

[Linked Image]

should the critter not be DRT, and I have to track in the thick stuff!

ya!

GWB

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Hey Geedubya! Your break open is a beautiful rifle! You and I don't hunt with a calculator but with a lifetime of experience. Here are a few from the last 5 years or so. I shot a few slick heads as well, but no pics.

what you said...bigger hole is more blood.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm right there with Jimmy, Geedub... Can I borrow that break action rifle for a few years???

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here are some comparisons based on factory data and my daughter's .308 Win Ruger Hawkeye:

Code
SAAMI MAP
6.5CM   = 62,000psi
7mm-08  = 61,000psi
.308Win = 62,000psi

6.5CM - Nosler #8, Barrel=24" 
130 AB      BC=.488, SD=.266, MV=2953fps (43.5g RL17), Recoil= 14.63ft/lbs @ 11.21fps
129 ABLR    BC=.561, SD=.287, MV=2953fps (43.5g RL17), Recoil= 14.48ft/lbs @ 11.15fps
140 AB      BC=.509, SD=.287, MV=2731fps (41.5g IMR4350), Recoil= 14.09ft/lbs @ 11.00fps

7mm-08 - Nosler #8, Barrel=26"
140 AB      BC=.485, SD=.248, MV=2953fps (47.5g Big Game), Recoil= 17.13ft/lbs @ 12.13fps
150 BT      BC=.493, SD=.266, MV=2869fps (49.5g Hunter), Recoil= 18.57ft/lbs @ 12.63fps
150 ABLR    BC=.611, SD=.266, MV=2869fps (49.5g Hunter), Recoil= 18.57ft/lbs @ 12.83fps

.308 Win - Nosler #8, Barrel=24"
125 AB      BC=.366, SD=.188, MV=3036fps (50.0g TAC), Recoil= 15.96ft/lbs @ 11.70fps
150 AB      BC=.435, SD=.266, MV=2997fps (46.0g TAC), Recoil= 18.37ft/lbs @ 12.68fps

6.5 CM - Barnesbullets.com, Barrel=24"
127 LRX     BC=.468, SD=.260, MV=2865fps (45.0g Superformance), Recoil= 13.98ft/lbs @ 10.96fps

7mm-08 - Barnesbullets.com, Barrel=24"
120 TTSX    BC=.373, SD=.213, MV=3196fps (48.4g CFE223),        Recoil= 15.77ft/lbs @ 11.64fps

.308 Win - Barnesbullets.com, Barrel=24"
130g TTSX   BC=.350, SD=.196, MV=3207fps (49.1g H335),          Recoil= 17.72ft/lbs @ 12.34fps
150g TTSX   BC=.357, SD=.226. MV=2994fps (49.4g BL-C(2)),       Recoil= 19.61ft/lbs @ 12.98fps

.308 Win - Ruger Hawkeye, Barrel 22" 
130g TTSX   BC=.350, SD=.196, MV=3045fps (52.5g CFE223),        Recoil= 17.45ft/lbs @ 12.24fps
150g TTSX   BC=.435, SD=.226, MV=2765fps (46.0 Varget),         Recoil= 17.07ft/lbs @ 12.11fps

Nosler 6.5 CM, 130AB =     251/295yd Zero/MPBR; 500yds = -33.6"  2095fps  1267fpe
Nosler 6.5 CM, 129ABLR =   254/299yd Zero/MPBR; 500yds = -31.5", 2197fps, 1383fpe
Nosler 6.5 CM, 140AB =     234/275yd Zero/MPBR; 500yds = -41.4", 1944fps, 1174fpe

Nosler 7mm-08, 140AB =     251/296yd Zero/MPBR; 500yds = -33.6", 2090fps, 1358fpe
Nosler 7mm-08, 150BT =     245/288yd Zero/MPBR; 500yds = -36.3", 2034fps, 1378fpe
Nosler 7mm-08, 150ABLR =   249/293yd Zero/MPBR; 500yds = -33.4", 2183fps, 1587fpe

Nosler .308 Win, 125AB =   251/294yd Zero/MPBR; 500yds = -35.7", 1908fps, 1011fpe
Nosler .308 Win, 150AB =   252/297yd Zero/MPBR; 500yds = -33.8", 2037fps, 1382fpe

Barnes 6.5 CM, 127LRX =    244/287yd Zero/MPBR; 500yds = -37.4", 1991fps, 1118fpe

Barnes 7mm-08, 120TTSX =   263/309yd Zero/MPBR; 500yds = -30.3", 2049fps, 1119fpe

Barnes .308 Win, 130TTSX = 262/307yd Zero/MPBR; 500yds = -31.3", 1993fps, 1146fpe
Barnes .308 Win, 150TTSX = 248/290yd Zero/MPBR; 500yds = -37.7", 1852fps, 1142fpe

Ruger .308 Win, 130TTSX =  251/294yd Zero/MPBR, 500yds = -36.3", 1871fps, 1010fpe
Ruger .308 Win, 150BT =    234/274yd Zero/MPBR, 500yds = -42.8", 2018fps, 1142fpe

Wrote the above this morning before heading to the range where I shot my iron-sighted, 16.1" barreled and braked 6.25lb .308 Ruger Scout, a .30-06 Ruger Hawkeye, my Ruger M77 .257 Roberts and a (not mine) 6.5CM Ruger Precision Rifle with a Thunderbeast can. Have to say the Ruger Precision rifle with the can was the most pleasant to shoot. Recoil was minimal and with the US-whatever scope on top, dialed in for 600 yards and the correct windage, hitting the 600-yard steel was a point-and-shoot no-brainer.

The .30-06 Ruger Hawkeye had a Burris Ballistic Plex Fullfield II 3-9x and the owner of the Ruger Precision Rifle nailed the 500 yard steel on both attempts (his only shots with the rifle). The .257 Roberts had a Leupold Vari-X III 4.5-14xAO that has been upgraded with a MOA dial on top and Leupold's Varmint Hunter reticle. Hitting the steel at 500 was as simple as dialing in 5.4MOA per my Android calculator and holding left for the wind.

Really liked the Ruger Precision Rifle. With 140's at about 2700fps there was enough energy at 500 to wrap the chain on the 1/2" thick, 4" diameter steel around the supporting 2x4.

You can draw your own conclusions form the numbers above. If you have any problems with them, please direct your complaints to Nosler (whose velocities I often find impossible to match with my rifles) and Barnes.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 12/04/16. Reason: typo

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That Merkel is damn sexy!!!

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Guess you can't read. Right there .Not reaching for an argument.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
308 165 accubond @ 2750 pretty much covers it for me.

Ed
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sidepass

Guess you can't read. Right there .Not reaching for an argument.

Only if you're a moron.

Originally Posted by sidepass

Your killing me, so your saying the 308 isn't a modern cartridge?

I didn't even mention any cartridges in that statement. I mentioned some bullet diameters.

There's a lot I didn't mention. I consider even the 30-06 to be a modern cartridge, not that it's anything new.
I didn't mention the 6.5 creed or the .204 ruger. Any of the ruger cartridges. All quite new, for that matter.

Interesting to note that the bullet diameters I did recommend are mostly based on old cartridges. The .24 is mostly prevalent in cartridges based on the .308 or the 7X57. The .25 is mostly available based on the 30-06 cartridge. The .26s are most popular in cartridges based on the .308 or the .250 savage.

If you think I said anywhere that the .308 is not a modern cartridge, then find a tutor and work on your reading comprehension. Moron...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by killindeer
I have a tikka 308 im looking to sell as im just not fond of it. I handled one of the bergara b14 rifles the other day and plan to purchase one. Juet not sure if i wanna go 308 again or go with a 6.5 creedmore. Will the 6.5creed do pretty much all a 308 will do with less recoil? Or would the 308 be a more versatile choice? Used for primarily hunting

I purchased a Bergara B-14 Hunter chambered in 308 simply because I wanted to play with the rifle. I do not think you will regret your decision. My rifle is very well finished the stock is stiff and comfortable accuracy is excellent and the trigger is pretty damn good. If I would have had a choice between the Creedmore or the 308 at my LGS I would have picked the Creedmore. My interest in the Creedmore is strictly from a hand loading aspect.While it wont do anything the 6.5x55 cant do performance wise it was desighned to duplicate that level of performance in a true short action.With the proper bullets selected I doubt you would see any real difference in on game performance between the 308 and the Creedmore but IMO the potential accuracy advantage goes to the Creedmore strictly due to its throat Geometry and COAL latitude available to the handloader.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Guys, I've read thru P 8 and lost interest in the gack.

The following pics are on P 4 from 'formidilosus'
I have never seen that MUCH tissue destruction personally from ANY cartridges/bullet---I HOPE I never do. I AVOID any/all bullets capable of such carnage.

If you like it--it doesn't bother me. Whatever floats your boat.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Nice deer

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
jwall, what bullet is that? I had an antelope hunter blow a pronghorn to smithereeeens with an SST.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I really like the 6.5 Creedmoor...

I surely agree that Hornady makes good "affordable" ammo for it. But there's a huge vast selection of 308 Winchester factory ammo available from a multitude of sources, available, if reports are true, worldwide...

The factory ammo argument favors the 308 IMO.

Midway for example has 147 308 ammo choices, and 16 for the Creedmoor.

Nonetheless, I prefer the lil'Creedmoor.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by JGRaider
jwall, what bullet is that? I had an antelope hunter blow a pronghorn to smithereeeens with an SST.

Those are my pictures. They are from two different deer. Both 77gr TMK from a 223 Tikka. Approximately 20in of penetration through bone with a massive wound channel. They were posted to highlight that bullets kill by destroying tissue. All else being equal, the more tissue destroyed the faster things die. How much tissue is destroyed is primarily dependent upon bullet construction and not bullet diameter.

Bullets matter more than headstamps- With the correct bullets you can have a 300 Weatherby with a tiny wound channel and a 223 with a wound channel so big some people wouldn't want to shoot an elk with them.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
JG - This the post from Formid.. on P 4 I read fore & aft and best as I can determine the bullet is from a 223. NOT SURE but in the discussion Formid.. didn't specify WHAT bullet--UNLESS I missed it.

I noticed he didn't say specifically (what bullet) in his last post per your ? to me. The best I can do.
Jerry

I would. That 22-250 can penetrate as deeply with the correct bullet as your 308 with 180 NPT's or...
Can you tell me what made these wounds?

This bullet penetrated approximately 20in, no exit. Point of the shoulder.

[Linked Image]

This one penetrated approximately 18-20in, no exit. Went through the shoulder blade, this is the wound behind the blade.

[Linked Image]

Another as above, 18-20in penetration, through shoulder blade. This is the blade itself.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by jwall; 12/10/16.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's this one. Sierra Tipped Match King.
[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
To each his own, but I believe I'll pass on the exploding bullets.

This is the primary reason I do not like VLDH, 7mag @ 100yds

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

....and why I don't like 139gr SST's in 7mags @ 100 yards...

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
J G

We are riding the same BUS..

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

128 members (358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 21 invisible), 2,315 guests, and 915 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,648
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.