-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Had a great goose hunt so I've got some huge goose beasts to cook. What's you favorite recipe for goose? This is a new one on me, and the guy I hunted with just makes jerky with them. I'd think there's got to be a better way, but I'm a jerky fan as well...

GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Flying prime rib.

Brad
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Let’s Go Brandon
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The key with any red fleshed game bird is not to treat it as poultry. I only eat the breasts rest gets boiled up for the dogs. The breasts get cooked like beef. Of course a little extra prep is needed. My favorite way to cook ducks and geese is to cut the breast into strips the long way about 1/2" thick. Then I poke the strips with a fork several times. Work your way up and down the the strip a couple times poking a line of holes.

Next marinate. Can of coke couple tablespoons soy sauce four or five cloves of garlic crushed and some black pepper. Marinate for at least four or five hours to over night. Ducks don't need as long as geese. Once they marinate drain them and dry thoroughly. Thread couple strips onto skewers. Grill them over a very hot grill preferable natural lump charcoal. Don't cook too long couple three minutes a side at most. DO NOT cook past medium med rare is better. You only need to turn them once. If you like you can brush them with a teriayke sauce as they come off the grill. Everyone that has tried these thinks they are beef or maybe venison.

Another great recipe is to freeze the breasts. Don't freeze solid just want them kind of icy and firm. Use a sharp knife cut very thin slices across the grain. Marinate for about an hour in half a cup of soy tablespoon sesame oil couple cloves chopped garlic black pepper. You can use the slices a couple ways. Use as you would use beef in a stir fry or any chinese type beef dish such as beef and broccoli. Cook hot and fast. Next thing to do with same meat is again cook hot and fast. Then get some flat breads or pitas. Makes a great sandwich. Top with whatever you like. You can also do a marinade of olive oil garlic and Greek spices and come up with a damn good gyro.

Kind of an odd one is to do schnitzel. Use duck or goose instead of veal. Pound the breasts down to about a quarter to of an inch working the edges out so you end up with a decent sized cutlet. Dust in flour then into milk and egg then bread crumbs. Fry fast in butter. Serve with some spaetzles a bit of red cabbage excellent meal.

Final thing is fajitas. Again very thin slices. I usually just marinate in a bit of oil with any packaged fajita seasoning and a bit of lime.

Really you can do most anything. Just treat as lean beef. Marinating and hot fast cooking and not over cooking are the keys. Cooking technique will do more for ducks and geese than the seasonings you choose.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
These sound great. Anybody else? I've got a bunch of geese...

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Slice up some breasts and marinate in teriayke overnite.Wrap goose slices with bacon and secure with tooth picks.Cook over high heat on a charcoal grill til bacon is crispy.I have had people tell me they cant stand goose meat try this then ask if there is any more.

I like my goose pretty rare so I microwave the bacon til halfway done before wrapping goose

This takes some time to prepare,but I think its well worth it

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mike7mm08

Kind of an odd one is to do schnitzel. Use duck or goose instead of veal. Pound the breasts down to about a quarter to of an inch working the edges out so you end up with a decent sized cutlet. Dust in flour then into milk and egg then bread crumbs. Fry fast in butter. Serve with some spaetzles a bit of red cabbage excellent meal.

Intrigued! Thanks.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
My wife Eileen Clarke just published her 10th game cookbook, TENDERIZE THE WILD, about how to use marinades, brines and rubs for tougher game, or tougher parts of game--and some geese can be tough. There are over 100 recipes for game, about half for deer, elk and other hoofed game, but there are 19 for geese. It just came out a couple weeks ago and can be ordered through www.riflesandrecipes.com.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Marinated some 1/2" slices in orange juice and hoyshin sauce for a few hours. I'm going to grill them up and see how they turn out. If not, on to the next. I'll be ordering Eileen's book too, John.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I cooked 2 huge breasts sliced 1/2" thick over pecan wood. They turned out great and my kids tore them up.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shoot goose, clean and soak overnight in salted water. Roast at 350* on a bed of sauerkraut. After two hours remove from oven, throw goose away and eat the kraut. grin
Sorry, never been a fan of sky carp. wink

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
My wife Eileen Clarke just published her 10th game cookbook, TENDERIZE THE WILD, about how to use marinades, brines and rubs for tougher game, or tougher parts of game--and some geese can be tough. There are over 100 recipes for game, about half for deer, elk and other hoofed game, but there are 19 for geese. It just came out a couple weeks ago and can be ordered through www.riflesandrecipes.com.

John, your wife sure knows her way around the kitchen with game meat.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

608 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1Akshooter, 1badf350, 160user, 70 invisible), 2,296 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,307
Posts18,449,115
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.