Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have to somewhat agree with mudstud... I have seen the same thing when two bidders who REALLY want something drive the price up beyond reason. The only way to know for sure is seeing what the next several auctions bring...but with this rifle we may be waiting for a while as they are so rare.

I have had the same thing happen to several of my auctions. A Remington 600 in 6.5 RM sold for over $1400 when the going price was around $950. An ERMA .22 LR M1 Carbine that usually sold for $450 sold for $950 because two bidders wanted it...

But in the case of these Custom Shop rifles if the next three sell for in the $9-11,000 area we will know that is now "the going price"...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Bob: YOU... are going to wait a long, NO a VERY long time, to see "the next several auctions" of this style Remington 40X's selling!
I disagree completely with your contention.
I will repeat - the Rifle was at public auction and the Rifle sold for an exact price and that is EXACTLY what it is/was worth - to the seller and to the public.
That is undeniable and irrefutable.
You are just trying to deny reality by trying to rationalize away what in fact just happened?
Puzzling to me why anyone would argue with reality?
But to each their own - I guess?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
VG...I don't disagree that it happened but one auction doesn't make it the new priceline...

That said I just checked the Bid History and there were multiple bidders right up to $9K. The last $1600 was a bidding war between two bidders.

So there is at least one person out there who is still willing to pay $10,600 but if the next person down the bid chain is only willing to pay $9K does that make the next rifle like this worth $10K because one person is willing to pay that or $9k because that is where the bidding is going to stop when the #2 guy quits.

All I am saying is that with anything one has to have a sales history before one can say what an item is worth... And...if the guy who bought it for $10K today needed to sell it tomorrow do you think he would get all his money back especially if the #2 guy was no longer interested or found another one....

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mudstud
These are rare and highly collectible rifles, but in no way worth what that one sold for. . . .

Amazing how some supposed gun experts on here can tell someone what a gun is worth before it sells, but after it sells its not worth what it sold for? grin

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You guys crack me up. It is obvious most of you, like me, don't fish in the same waters these types of collectors do. We just don't have the money, interest, wherewithal, or whatever it takes to spend that kind of money on rare, collectible pieces.
Also, the kind of people who buy rifles in this class aren't the type who worry about if they "had to sell it tomorrow to recoup their money". These collectors not only know more about these guns than most of us, but have a pretty good idea what they will be worth as an investment which may last for years before recouping their money plus a bit of "interest". It doesn't matter what it is worth today or tomorrow, but what it is worth at the target date the investor chooses. And these types of rifles and the rarity they possess aren't going down any time soon.

The last upper grade 40X I saw sold was an "F" grade and I believe it sold in the $12K area. Now, this is the epitome of 40X models with full engraving, the best wood and checkering available, and other features that put it in a very rare category, but the rifle being described in this thread is a very close second in grade and will IMHO appreciate substantially in the future. Wish I had the cash, I would have been in the bidding also.

Besides, just plain lust is as good a reason to buy a rifle as any other. Having the means to satisfy that desire separates most of us....

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
I would be suspicious of that rifle and would confirm the serial number with Rem to be sure it is authentic and not a conversion to repeater, no way it is worth that kind of money in the marketplace, if someone wanted it that bad then that's on them and ok by me. I would much rather have a 54 Anschutz sporter.

W
W
Originally Posted by cznut
I would be suspicious of that rifle and would confirm the serial number with Rem to be sure it is authentic and not a conversion to repeater, no way it is worth that kind of money in the marketplace, if someone wanted it that bad then that's on them and ok by me. I would much rather have a 54 Anschutz sporter.

Hi all, I just saw this thread, its real old but ill clarify some info. First it is real, I bought it, It is an extremely rare rifle in an even rarer combination of options. There are several options that make this rifle truly special. I am an astute collector of all rimfires and of 40x's specifically. There were a total of 700 or so made in all combinations across the entire production period. As noted above I could buy a dozen CZ's for that, I wouldn't and do not own a CZ, that rifle couldn't hold this ones jock strap. For instance in the CZ 452 finale edition alone they are making what 1000 rifles that is way more in one run than 15 years worth of 40xb's. The vast majority of Remington 40-xb repeaters are very similar, but about 10-15 percent or roughly 100 or less of the total production are special rifles, some are even more special than others. This rifle is one of the later. As Auctions since this one have shown, the numbers are holding in this ball park. I have witnessed some sell for 8000.00, 9000.00, and one sold for 15000.00 so obviously the marketplace has shown these are the price ranges. I am open to questions if you like.

Rich

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
WATCHADDIC: Thank you for all the information and for you to taking the time to share.
No questions just thanks and I am hoping your pride of ownership is rewarding for you.
Enjoy your rare Rifle!
I love my simple (lone!) Remington 40X rimfire Rifle - it is a single shot and I have been using it for years now Hunting Ground Squirrels in the Rocky Mountain west.
I got the Rifle for a song many years ago as it had an aftermarket fiberglass (nice though!) stock!
The trigger is sublime and the heavy long factory barrel provides for a very steady (supported) sighting picture.
I sometimes worry about using the perky Winchester Power-Points in its match chamber but so far no problems and no loss of accuracy.
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Cznut: I apparently overlooked your posting from two years ago - I have to differ with your contention as well!
THAT Rifle sold for THAT amount in the "marketplace" and THAT is EXACTLY what it is worth!
Because you differ in YOUR estimate of its value does not make THAT its value!
PERIOD!
Like I posted two years ago THE price it sold for is EXACTLY what it is worth - not your conjecture.
That fact is just reality and is inarguable!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Auctions like this occur pretty frequently in the high end Kimber of Oregon 82 rimfire world. Besides money in these deals, one of the best resources to have is knowledge of what you are bidding on and typically those that lament the high prices really don't know the realities of the firearm in question. As in most things, knowledge is power.

To ride hard, shoot straight and speak the truth.
NRA Benefactor Member
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I was in college in 1973, I paid $600 for an SAE equalizer.
My friends whispered that I was nuts, because it was not worth that much.
But my brother that was an economics major said, "It was worth that much if he paid that much."

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
W
W
Originally Posted by sagerat22
Auctions like this occur pretty frequently in the high end Kimber of Oregon 82 rimfire world. Besides money in these deals, one of the best resources to have is knowledge of what you are bidding on and typically those that lament the high prices really don't know the realities of the firearm in question. As in most things, knowledge is power.

Lol Sage, I seem to be in those auctions as well. But Kimber of Oregons are in my sweet spot to, well certain ones anyway.

I wasnt being sarcastic, if anybody wants to pick my brain a little feel free. I'm open to a real Q and A session. One thing to remember with any Rare out of production rifle, there are no more being made, and fine rifles will only go up.You never overpay, just buy a few years early.

Rich

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Sagerat22: Wonderfully explained there Sagerat22.
I wish I could have been so succinct!
By the way I have a batch of Kimber of Oregon Rifles (all N.I.B.) that I bought new way back when - they are the higher grade "Super" Models for the most part.
They have stunning wood on them and IIRC I have a matching serial number set of Model 82 "Supers" in 22 L.R. and in 22 Hornet.
Been thinking about selling them in the future (before I cross the great divide) - what I am saying is I better get into the market and familiarize myself with current prices.
Is there a Kimber Collectors association or another place you suggest I check?
Think I'll search Kimber Collectors - probably something there.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
VarmintGuy, I think a great resource would be WATCHADDIC (Rich). I haven't personally talked with him but I know from looking on Rimfire Central, that he is a wealth of knowledge on many rimfires and especially Kimbers.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WATCHADDIC
Originally Posted by sagerat22

Lol Sage, I seem to be in those auctions as well. But Kimber of Oregons are in my sweet spot to, well certain ones anyway.

I wasnt being sarcastic, if anybody wants to pick my brain a little feel free. I'm open to a real Q and A session. One thing to remember with any Rare out of production rifle, there are no more being made, and fine rifles will only go up.You never overpay, just buy a few years early.

Rich

Just sent you a PM about a pair or Kimber of OR rifles I have with matching serial numbers. Full descriptions in the PM, just wondering what a ball park figure for the pair might be.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
DBrink: Thank you for that heads up. I am mostly interested in getting evaluations on my few Kimbers of Oregon.
I did a web search and found a place called "Kimber Talk" - it looked so-so and I have not made up my mind yet if I want to "join" (apply) for that site.
Thanks again for the tip.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
The Kimber forum on Rimfire Central is the best place to go. The thread "Show Me Your Kimber" will point you to several of us that can help with your questions. A quick PM will usually get a pretty quick response. Or you can start a new thread if you want to be public with the discussion. The best answers come from good questions that include pictures where possible. We have talked about a Kimber Collectors Association in passing but there are so few of us that actually collect them that it likely would be a pretty small group. Plus the number of Kimbers produced is actually pretty limited.

To ride hard, shoot straight and speak the truth.
NRA Benefactor Member
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Sagerat22: Thank you for the information and your observations. I appreciate it.
My appreciation of Kimber Rifles is not just confined to the Kimber of Oregon models I also have several of the later manufactured Kimbers and use these latter Rifles often, in my Varmint and predator Hunting endeavors.
I am not sure if you are aware of a posting I made a year or two ago regarding my conversation (face to face) here in Montana with one of the senior Kimber factory representatives.
Anyway after a time in my conversation I asked if the Kimber folks would ever resume the manufacture of Kimber rimfire Rifles?
His response was "that they are saving the tooling and machinery used in making rimfire Rifles and they hope to resume production someday".
He further described the companies policy/position in that they were SO busy try to keep up with orders for pistols and centerfire Rifles and had to switch production goals to pistols and the centerfire Rifles!
If I recall correctly (and remember this was two years ago when I spoke to the Kimber rep) he also alluded to a shortage of "qualified workers" causing the switching of priorities there at Kimber.
Thanks again for the direction.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Just goes to prove the old addage "a fool and his money are soon parted" especially when an auction is concerned.

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Gunswizard: I disagree with your contention.
Apparently there were lots of people bidding on the arm in question, and they bid LOTS of times - so there's very little (if ANY!) "foolish" money involved there.
To put it more simply for you, with a heavily bid upon item the "winning bidder" has very little "at risk" money!
Does he not?
Investing in firearms has been EXTREMELY lucrative for me these past 50+ years and the "profits" I make so often on the arms I invest in are further "compounded" (multiplied) by my reinvesting said profits in MORE arms!
Numerous times I have bought "user" type firearms both new and on the used market and I have lost a modicum of money when I resold said user guns and often those "user" guns have also appreciated in value.
But to date I have never lost a penny on an "investment" or "collector" type firearms I have purchased!
In fact if I were to relay to you my estimate of how much "profit" I have made on the collector guns that I have bought and sold over the past 50+ years - well, Uncle Sam (I.R.S.!) would not be amused - if you get my drift?
Like WATCHADDIC relays careful investment and patience will "pay off" in regards to rare or collector type firearms.
I contend your "old addage" is NOT proven, in this instance!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1234, 70 invisible), 2,624 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,977
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.