Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Topic says it all.

Anyone find any black friday deals on 2 stage varmint RRA on sale?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Rost, best I've seen is 86 shipped at ar15sales.com

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
thanks, thats a fair bit higher than last years 62 buck invoice sitting here, maybe I'll just hang on a bit and see.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Right now you can get a Larue for $99 if you're not in a hurry or a Geiselle G2S for $115.

I think both are better than the RR if you are willing to spend a little more.

MM

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
I hear ya. My match guns are all set.

Hunting guns are not that important, and the varmint one has been good so far and I can easily tune them a hair if need be for no cost to me.

Lets just say I have multiple lowers that have been in storage and it might be time I"m thinking to put parts kits and decent triggers in them so they are ready for any project as complete lowers.

Half price of a good one, makes a lot of difference when buying parts for double digit numbers.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Did anybody catch those SSA-E's on their site for $117? They were only that price for a real short time and now back up to 168. Never seen them that cheap before...

She's gone shootin..
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No, I missed that.........that would have been the deal of the year.

MM

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495
I"m thinking to put parts kits and decent triggers in them so they are ready for any project as complete lowers.

The various "enhanced" nickel plated triggers for about $30 or so, on sale, are usable for hunting or banging with a little polishing & spring work that I know you are well capable of doing.

I've been able to get them to a no-creep 5.5 lb range that are OK for those purposes.

Or the ALG ACT trigger for around $70.

Or just wait till RRA has another sale as they eventually will.

I was sorta underwhelmed at the BF sales this year...........

MM

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
No, I missed that.........that would have been the deal of the year.

MM
for a minute I thought it was a glitch or something..that's about $40 less than I've ever seen them

She's gone shootin..
IC B3

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

The various "enhanced" nickel plated triggers for about $30 or so, on sale, are usable for hunting or banging with a little polishing & spring work that I know you are well capable of doing.

I've been able to get them to a no-creep 5.5 lb range that are OK for those purposes.

No creep, from "a little polishing and spring work"? Your definition of creep must be a whole lot different than everybody else.

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
I"m thinking to put parts kits and decent triggers in them so they are ready for any project as complete lowers.

Or the ALG ACT trigger for around $70.

Or just wait till RRA has another sale as they eventually will.

I was sorta underwhelmed at the BF sales this year...........

MM

I"m fairly sure I'll find em around 60 again sooner or later.

I'm about done with polishing regular triggers. Just don't care for the work and the results, would rather drop the RRA in without touching it and just live with what it is. But I'm a 2 stage AR slut too...

have yet to pull a single stage AR that has zero creep.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Yondering
[quote=MontanaMan]

Your definition of creep must be a whole lot different than everybody else.

No, I don't think so.

MM

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Here's the best deal I have found with the G2S at 109.99 plus shipping and tax:

http://www.dpmsinc.com/On-Sale-Items_c_471.html

I "needed" one, anyway. So now that itch is scratched.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
[quote=MontanaMan]

No, I don't think so.

MM

How are you eliminating the creep then, without adjusting sear engagement and the disconnector? Mil spec triggers (standard or the slick "enhanced" stuff) have miles of creep, polishing doesn't get rid of that.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
[quote=MontanaMan]

No, I don't think so.

MM

How are you eliminating the creep then, without adjusting sear engagement and the disconnector? Mil spec triggers (standard or the slick "enhanced" stuff) have miles of creep, polishing doesn't get rid of that.

JP springs ($10) and the trigger adjustment screw (.50 or $18) can get a mil spec trigger to "pretty good" status.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The creep is actually a safety design that moves the hammer a little before firing. Use the screw to pre-load the trigger and you either still have some creep that could be ok or you have a dangerous trigger.

I don't care what trigger you prefer or how you tune it just be sure and know why it is like it is before you mess with it.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Direct_Drive
[quote=MontanaMan]

No, I don't think so.

MM

JP springs ($10) and the trigger adjustment screw (.50 or $18) can get a mil spec trigger to "pretty good" status.

I'm very familiar with that, but that's not what MontanaMan said.

I have made some mil spec triggers very clean and crisp, but there's a lot more to it than just springs and polishing, or even just adding an adjustment screw. Even then, the RRA 2-stage trigger is every bit as crisp right out of the box, and arguably more reliable and safer although I've not had any issues with my way either.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
FWIW, I like the RRA triggers. Hope that we see a heads up if-ever/when they hit a rock bottom sale price.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jeff,

I knew you wouldn't be interested, but ALG knocked their ACT triggers down to about $45 for Cyber-Monday (from $69 I think)

Sycamore

Last edited by Sycamore; 11/29/16. Reason: kncoked ?

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
$89 for match trigger in stock they feature varmint but out of stock

http://www.righttobear.com/Rock-River-2-stage-trigger-p/ar0093nmk.htm

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Sycamore
Jeff,

I knew you wouldn't be interested, but ALG knocked their ACT triggers down to about $45 for Cyber-Monday (from $69 I think)

Sycamore

Had I known that I'd have done one just to see what its like....

Thanks, Jeff

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sycamore
Jeff,

Sycamore

Had I known that I'd have done one just to see what its like....

Thanks, Jeff

delivered today, so one week from order to delivery, even though website said might be delay for holiday traffic.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
thats always nice for stuff to show up early.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

I"m fairly sure I'll find em around 60 again sooner or later.

Well, when you do please update this thread. I need three of them.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Rost,

Is the RRA your preference for competition? I thinks service rifles have to be held to 4.5lb's. Does this trigger serve that purpose?

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
National Match is 4.5# Varmint is 3.5#.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Thanks NV.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Its my choice for service rifle IF I'm running low...

My absolute choice was and may still be Milazzo.

But before I'd go that route I'd pick up the phone and call Bill at Geiselle since we shot together at Perry and he and I had some long talks about what an AR trigger was NOT,vs what an M14 trigger was and how to get there. Bill would not be a wrong move.

That said I think that unless you are a trigger snob like I can be, the RRA either service at 4.5 supposedly and the varmint at 3.5 supposedly, will suffice for most anyone. Obviously they are not drop in complete units so from lower to lower what you get may not be perfect and may have to be tweaked a bit. YMMV

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
What I should ad, if that didn't come across, is that I have numerous stripped lowers laying around that ain't gonna do any good naked... Heck some are in the white still... have to figuer that solution out one day too...

Anyway, not wanting to drop in 200 plus bucks in a trigger thats just going to be a house/hunting/whatever gun, rather than Camp Perry gun, thats what I was after, way better than stock, but cheap at 62 each last year... damn the luck, should have bought 20 last year.... LOL

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
primary arms Rock River Arms National Match 2-Stage AR-15 Trigger AR0093NMK

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dropped $86 yesterday on the RRA Varmint version. Price is right for trying it out on a PSA build.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
Rost,

Is the RRA your preference for competition? I thinks service rifles have to be held to 4.5lb's. Does this trigger serve that purpose?

Dave, The RR is a good trigger that gets the job done for a reasonable price. But the money-no-object choice is the Geissele NM trigger, part #05-130. The objective advantages of the Geissele are that it is readily adjustable and the lock time is faster. Feel is a subjective thing and varies depending upon who you ask and the particular trigger/lower receiver combination.

I like the RR and a pair of them have served me well for over a dozen years and probably a 100 thousand cycles on each. But if I had $$ I'd buy a Geissele.

The Milazzo's that Rost likes so much are back on the market and a lot of people really like them.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Thanks Barry.

I have thousands of rounds over a RR two-stage and I've never had an issue. I think I'd just run one of those to get started.

Travis

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Opinions. Would you go with a Rock River varmint or a geissele G2S?

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
unless you just have lots of money... my take, go to a reasonable gun, and start shooting.

Then find out what you like, if you like it, try others triggers, and then if you are MORE serious you'll end up building the gun as you want it to be with the trigger you want.

All the time keeping the first gun/trigger for a backup gun...

IE Rock River is more than good enough for starters.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Bouncing this thread for best price on RRA Varmint 2-stage delivered.

Editing to say:

Seems like I've been through this a hundred times, trying to find a quality 2-state trigger for a good price for large pin Colt 6920's. Nada. If anyone finds an alternative to a Geissele, please update this thread.

I have been everywhere looking. Just got off the phone with Rock River. Referred there by the owner of ar15sales.com to see if they were planning on reintroducing the large pin version of their varmint 2 stage. Answer: Not at this time.

Public assistance announcement:

For those of you who do have a .154" (small pin) setup, ar15sales.com has the best price I saw anywhere at $86 delivered. I believe this is the deal JPro was talking about.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anyone know the differences between the varmint and nm triggers. I have both and tried adding jp Springs to the nm and could never get it to work right. The varmint model I have is about 4 pounds and works great

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Did you change the dis-connector spring as well?

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I think he has a good question. What exactly is the difference NM vs Varmint, just springs?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just got my varmint model in today's mail from AR15sales.com and I think it's pretty dang great. Only others I've had have been CMC 3lb triggers, but I think I like this one just as much. The CMC will rebound off my finger sometimes and doubletap. This RRA Varmint has 1 3/4lb of first stage and almost 2lbs of second stage, as per my Lyman digital trigger pull gauge. No creep. Not bad at all for $86 shipped.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Jealous here. smile

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I used a RRA Varmint and it was slow to reset. I installed JP springs and it worked better. I think I was at about 4lbs when done.

On the other hand, I was able to lighten up the NM a little using the same JP springs. No problem.

Seems like 6 of one or half dozen the other, with equal springs. I suspect some manufacturing variation in both.

That why I was curious if anyone could answer cummingscowboy question: Is there any difference between parts in the Varmint or NM? Or is it just springs?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know about the RR, but Geissele says the difference between their NM trigger and their Match Rifle trigger is the springs. All of them are different.

Best thing to do with a Colt lower is sell it and buy something that will take a decent trigger.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by fourbore
Is there any difference between parts in the Varmint or NM? Or is it just springs?

I'm pretty sure the difference is just springs, supposedly ~ 1 lb difference in pull weight. If you were to change the springs in both, you should end up with the same trigger either way.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
2005 Colt lowers will take Geissele SSA and SSA-E triggers if I become so inclined.

Newer than that take any triggers.

Guess I could sell one of my 5 LEO 6920's if I really wanted to, which I don't, including 3 unfired 2015's with Kryptek Higlander Magpul furniture that are all small pin.

Everybody and their cousin wants a Colt. Easier to sell than phugkin ice cream.

What was your point, again?

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TWR
Did you change the dis-connector spring as well?

yes I did change the disconnector spring, you have to knock out the peened pin to get to it. its not really meant to be changed. I can't remember exactly what the problem was but I ended up putting the factory springs back in it. I think the RRA triggers are a bit heavier than what they advertise.

but if you get the varmint model your going to have to spend double that at least to get a trigger that is noticeably any better and even then its going to be a very small difference. I still have a $62 varmint trigger in the package never opened waiting for something, LOL.

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
I dunno about swapping springs, we just used to bend the trigger spring to make it what weight we wanted it to be while tuning it.

But for same price as NM, I won't mess with bending stuff to get to varmint....

Now, back to the 62 dollar search... LOL.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by local_dirt
2005 Colt lowers will take Geissele SSA and SSA-E triggers if I become so inclined.

Newer than that take any triggers.

Guess I could sell one of my 5 LEO 6920's if I really wanted to, which I don't, including 3 unfired 2015's with Kryptek Higlander Magpul furniture that are all small pin.

Everybody and their cousin wants a Colt. Easier to sell than phugkin ice cream.

What was your point, again?

Point being why would you waste any energy on a Colt when it is such a pain to find a trigger for and is so readily marketable? Buy something you can buy the trigger you want for it. Either that or just live with the trigger they came with.

You know that large pin Colt's are a pain in the azz by design, right? smile

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Please explain why it's so hard to find a trigger for a Colt.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The trigger pin holes are NOT mill-spec.
Oh crap, here we go!

Really, the trigger pin holes are bigger than standard.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Old colts, but I d ont' think new ones??? have larger trigger pins on purpose.

And there are not enough of them, IE no demand, to have all makers make replacement triggers with both pin sizes..

Heck its been so many years.. I don't even recall the two sizes. .154 comes to mind as one... I may be way off.

Now days most all lowers are more than good enough that you don't need a brand name...

YMMV

And now I see who asked the question.. LOL...

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Current production Colt's have .154" pin holes same as any other brand. Been this way for about 10 years or so.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Ya I'm a Colt snob, I've only had lowers from Colt, Noveske, RR, Armalite, Bushmaster, Charles Daly and even Anderson.

Current Colt's use the same triggers as any others.

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
I didn't see anyone mention you being a colt snob? May have missed it, being gone lots hunting lately I read faster than normal.

The old lowers with big pins were kind of a PITA but Milazzo made such and thats what we got before we realized we didn't need to spend money on names.

Hows the weather in OK lately? Pretty cool down our way.

Jeff

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
It was 10 degrees here today but little wind. Saturday I pulled stands on our lease since the place sold and just barely beat the front coming through. Got home and it was 27 with 30 mph winds and drizzling rain, snow, by the time I got everything squared away I was froze.

No problem on being a Colt snob, just messing around since I own one.

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yeah, I figured ya'll might have had a bit of icing.

We were lucky, no moisture. Hit here at 645 pm with strong winds... I gutted a doe shot with Carolyns new 10mm glock in the wind an hour later with sweats on... got cool. LOL.

Sorry to hear about the lease. That sucks.

Ain't a thing wrong with colt, never has been that I recall, other than some shoddy 380 mustangs at some point, and now some of the 1911s sure ain't what they used to be, but what is..

Stay warm!

Jeff

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Heck, trade that old POS Colt for a new Colt with milspec holes. smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
We're back to the same place. Why would I sell a gun at a potential loss that has gone bang every single time I've fired it through thousands of rounds with a combat trigger?

I've got 3 other 6920's with small pins I can mess with. For what I paid for them at their lowest price point last year (~ $750 average for the 3) I've got enough leeway to go with an SSA or SSA-E in the other 2 large pin guns. I'm just thrifty enough to have been looking for a possible alternative.

I don't look for reasons to sell my guns. What I really mean is, I rarely sell my guns and it burns a lot of gray matter to get to THAT decision.

I have a few, but I don't have many "Wish I had that one back" moments.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are offset adapter bushings to use small pin triggers in large pin guns. No idea how that works out, rost495 might have some insight, but it is possible.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The offset pin is for the front take down pin, not the trigger pin.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Local, I"m with ya. I buy a gun to keep. And if I have to put more into it, so be it.

Carolyns new 10mm glock... holster, mags, replaced the trigger. Replacing sights. May replace barrel. But its HER gun and its not going anywhere...

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
rost, I checked out a Glock 10mm at the LGS a couple weeks ago. They are... magnetic. grin

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yep, I think #2 is in the works so we can leave one in AK, and keep one here, setup all the same...

Sure whacked the heck out of a doe the other week for me. Big holes in each lung. I was kind of amazed.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Rost, still more than you found them last year, but better than previously posted... RightToBear.com has the RRA varmint trigger on sale today for $75.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

460 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 1,926 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,216
Posts18,447,378
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.