Print Thread
Hop To
A
Aught6 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
I have a 1960's era, Browning Auto5 Belgian made 12 ga. 2 3/4".
It's in good shape but is worthless to me. I don't waterfowl or upland game hunt anymore and won't shoot steel if I did. I have two barrels for it. Both 28", one full one modified both with vent ribs and two beads. Functions flawlessly. It was my dad's but he traded up to an 11-87 some time ago to shoot steel and then to a Super Black Eagle. He told me to pedal it if I wasn't going to use it or wanted it. It's taking up precious room. I'd add some pics but I can't get this site to work for me when it comes to pics.

What should I ask for the gun and extra barrel? PM me with an e-mail if you want pics.

GB1

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Before you can get a decent answer we need to know condition of this gun. Give detailed description of wear or damage on both metal and wood.

A
Aught6 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
wood is in very good shape, minor scratch here and there. The wood is a lighter blonde color. metal has normal wear on the bluing from being handled. My dad was a machinist and taught the skill his whole life so he took care of his stuff. It even has the original owners manual and purchase card. I could send you some pics via email but have yet to figure this site out when it comes to posting pics

Last edited by Aught6; 11/07/16.
MWN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
PM sent for pics

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand at the ready to do violence on their behalf.
A
Aught6 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
A couple things to clarify. The purchase card is dated October of 1960 and it is a "round knob" stock. I believe that is the correct terminology. Original finish on the wood and bluing. The Butt plate is original and reads "Browning Automatic." Hopefully this gives a little more insight. Good gun, fires and functions flawlessly. It is just taking up room. I am one for working guns not guns that sit around taking up room. This one was retired in the mid 80's when the lead shot ban went into effect because it has very tight fixed chokes and it only takes 2 3/4" shells. And, it's a wee bit heavy for an upland game gun. My dad moved on to an 11-87 Remington and then to a Benelli Super Black Eagle. I quit waterfowl hunting and got a German Shorthair and a 12 Ga. O/U.

Last edited by Aught6; 11/10/16.
IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Unfortunately they do not command the price they used to. I have had it's twin for sale for about 6 months now and have dropped the price to $650.00. Posting pictures might help.

If you decide to sell the modified barrel separately I might be interested.

MWN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
FWIW, I've seen a couple photos and it appears to be an honest/legit A5; round knob, buttplate intact, etc. Some of the neat original paperwork too.

Yep, you have to be an old-schooler to appreciate these. There are certainly some design and manufacturing advancements, but the steel and craftsmanship can't compare.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand at the ready to do violence on their behalf.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Pm for pics

A
Aught6 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
So I've heard. I'ver decided to put up an Italian O/U I have to buy either a new barrel or a couple cases of Kent Bismuth shells.

A
Aught6 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Thanks to all of you for the insight. I am going to keep and use the gun. On a little different topic have any of you used Bismuth shot? I figure on using it with the modified barrel as that was the barrel bought separately and isn't the "original" barrel just in case. Browning said it will work fine and I have sent correspondence to Kent to see what they recommend or not for using in this gun. I remember my dad being able to cleanly take geese out to 65 yards or so with lead 2 3/4" No.4 shot. I believe 1 1/4 oz loads high antimony. Handloads obviously using the good ol' WW hulls. Pretty close to what they called a "square load."

Last edited by Aught6; 11/18/16.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bismuth is hard to find. I use Kent tungsten matrix in my old guns. Kills like lead and safe in your A5.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have used some Bismuth in my Model 37 Ithaca, seemed to work just fine with 2 3/4 loads for ducks and geese over decoys

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Aught6
I have a 1960's era, Browning Auto5 Belgian made 12 ga. 2 3/4".
It's in good shape but is worthless to me. I don't waterfowl or upland game hunt anymore and won't shoot steel if I did. I have two barrels for it. Both 28", one full one modified both with vent ribs and two beads. Functions flawlessly. It was my dad's but he traded up to an 11-87 some time ago to shoot steel and then to a Super Black Eagle. He told me to pedal it if I wasn't going to use it or wanted it. It's taking up precious room. I'd add some pics but I can't get this site to work for me when it comes to pics.

What should I ask for the gun and extra barrel? PM me with an e-mail if you want pics.

I have had a 12 ga 1948 Browning Auto 5 since 1999.
I have had a 12 ga 1995 Remington 11-87 Police and extra barrels since 1996.

I like the Browning auto 5. It just kills stuff. I shoot steel. Everyone says not to, I just keep doing it.

I could tap for remchoke and put the choke on the outside.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

66 members (808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, Bclark, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,397 guests, and 749 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,674
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.