Print Thread
Hop To
B
BigNate Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
This time of year I keep having days where everything in my pack gets wet from condensation forming against my hydration bladder. I put it in a kitchen garbage bag but it's noisy, and the extra fluff isn't well liked. I usually carry a little extra clothes this time of year as the weather changes so frequently. Usually I layer glove liners with my gloves, bring extra dry wool socks, a skull cap, and a wool pullover or maybe a rain jacket.

What have others done to avoid damp socks, head gear, gloves etc?

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

BP-B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It's never been a problem for me.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BigNate
What have others done to avoid damp socks, head gear, gloves etc?

Bought a Seek Outside pack that has the sleeve on the outside of the pack bag and Talon. Not the reason I bought it but it is a fringe benefit. Any way you can rig yours on the outside?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

An empty bread sack might be a better fit or just starting with warmer water.

I've never had condensation problems but I have had a frozen line so I use disposable/crushable bottles late in the year.

What would Porter Rockwell do?
B
BigNate Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
My pack is a Tenzig 2220. The bladder is against your back, save for the padding.
It cools while sitting, or overnight when camping, but I'm wondering if it's body heat when moving that makes it so bad.

When it starts freezing I use a Nalgene hdpe bottle. It sweats some, but will tolerate freezing better.

Like the bread sack idea. Just seems like stupid problem to cause yourself.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
...I'm wondering if it's body heat when moving that makes it so bad.

It's a cold object (the bladder) that causes moisture in the air to condense on the outside of it. Just like it does on the outside of a glass of iced tea. It's never been a problem for me because the air is dry here, and the bladder sits in its own pouch so it's separated from the pack contents.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's a problem I've never had in so. Idaho but it's a lot drier here than in no. Idaho. During hunting season the humidity seldom gets much above 70%, even when it's raining.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Put warm water in the bladder?

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My pack is a Tenzig 2220. The bladder is against your back, save for the padding.
It cools while sitting, or overnight when camping, but I'm wondering if it's body heat when moving that makes it so bad.

When cold it would act as a cold finger and being near your back humidity/sweat would condense on it.

What would Porter Rockwell do?
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yep, the trick is not to put COLD water in your pack.

Took me a while to figure it out .. my problem was summer hiking. I'd fill the water bladder and put it in the fridge 'cause cold water is nicer to drink than warm water. Mistake. Just drink the water warm.

If you're out in cold weather, you might need to pre-heat the water up near body temp. Should (knock on wood) fix the issue.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
463 members (160user, 1Longbow, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 49 invisible), 2,025 guests, and 962 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,143
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.