Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'm not much of an AR guy. I bought a Colt 6720 for my daughter to hunt with and put a Guissele SSA-E trigger in it because I like good triggers and hated the stock trigger.

What would be a good choice in an extremely accurate upper I could buy? I'm not looking for the most expensive one but not the cheapest either. Just something that offers good value while still being very accurate. I want a flat top with no front sight. I don't care about having rails enough for a bunch of accessories. I will only need a scope and maybe a tripod.

GB1

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I'm not sure there is a "best", Randy. Lots of times it's the luck of the draw. White Oak Armament is always a good bet, though. So are a lot of other makers, too.

Here's one to consider:

https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/sh...-gas-1-7-alg-handguard-emr-v3-m-lok.html

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The upper RickyD suggested would be hard to beat. WOA makes great stuff and that's a very good price for what you get.

Last edited by wareagle700; 11/28/16.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
I'll again plug a stag 6 upper. Have shot 3 and all live up to their 1/2" guarantee. For $600 it can't be beat..
That WOA upper looks nice and have heard good things. As was said sometimes it's luck of the draw but stag is 3 for 3 on the accuracy bit for me anyway..

Last edited by Certifiable; 11/28/16.

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Certifiable
I'll again plug a stag 6 upper. Have shot 3 and all live up to their 1/2" guarantee.

Be that as it may, that upper will make a rifle that comes in at 10 pounds, bare, & is more or less a very singular purpose rifle..........if that's what the OP is looking for.

But most "precision" rifles tend to be on the heavy side; just a matter of what level one is looking to go to.

MM

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Weight isn't too much of an issue. Mostly looking for something to play around with at longer ranges. I have the stock 6720 upper for light weight applications.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Is the Stag 6 only available in a 24" heavy barrel?

WOA has other configurations available, too, just not presently available.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Rock River Arms has a 25% off retail sale on their complete upper halves. The Coyote rifle upper is Wylde chambered, and should be about $590 on sale, complete with BCG, etc.

They have other uppers that would meet your requirements for no rails, mounts, etc.

Just a thought.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
MM,for sure it's not a light setup. A while back I saw stag offering the 6 in a few shorter barrel configurations. Don't think that's the rule tho and may warrant a phone call. In my experience they are very customer friendly..for the record they use ER Shaw barrels in the 6.

She's gone shootin..
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd suggest having WOA build you one using their SDM barrels. I know you say you don't care about weight, but having had a rock river predator persuit I just didn't care for the way the upper balanced but loved the way it shot. Going with the same contour but fluting it makes for IMHO a perfectly balanced very accurate 20" AR.

[Linked Image]

Easy enough to screw one together yourself.

IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Wilson Combat 5.56 barrels are in stock and on sale through today, if you go with the "roll 'ur own" build.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
White Oak Armament is a great, no bull schitt shop.
John Holliger keeps Service Rifle and precision competitors supplied with what they need.

And at honest prices....no boutique crap and the prices that go with that.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
hands down have what you want built. I trust John to all my stuff at WOA/WOP. Call them and tell them what you are after. That will dictate how and what they tell you to buy or have built...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
MM,for sure it's not a light setup. A while back I saw stag offering the 6 in a few shorter barrel configurations. Don't think that's the rule tho and may warrant a phone call. In my experience they are very customer friendly..for the record they use ER Shaw barrels in the 6.
Evidently Shaw has come a LONG way with their barrels if you have 3 that shoot 1/2 inch groups.

I sometimes had a time finding the right load to shoot .5 moa repeatably with TOP line barrels.

Thats good info to know though, when a cheap barrel will knock out winning groups easily.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I believe Rainier Arms still carries barrels made by Shilen, I have one of their ultra match barrels and have been quite happy with it.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Rost, I own only one, the other two belonging to family. But they have and will knock down 1/2". I however, do not possess the skill to do that each and every time and make no claims otherwise.
I had read Shaw hovered around "above average" myself in regards to their barrels, and had also read they had made great strides in quality. I figured with stags reputation for customer service and their 1/2" guarantee why the heck not? I remain very pleased and It has definetly been one of my better purchases in regards to value/accuracy

She's gone shootin..
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've seen the Stag 6 uppers do nice things. Have also seen a RRA Predator Pursuit perform very well too....and with their 25% off sale, a complete 20" upper is right around $600.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Rost, I own only one, the other two belonging to family. But they have and will knock down 1/2". I however, do not possess the skill to do that each and every time and make no claims otherwise.
I had read Shaw hovered around "above average" myself in regards to their barrels, and had also read they had made great strides in quality. I figured with stags reputation for customer service and their 1/2" guarantee why the heck not? I remain very pleased and It has definetly been one of my better purchases in regards to value/accuracy

It was not a flame post, I was simply saying if you can get that out of a shaw barrel repeatable .5 moa accuracy for at least say 5 shot groups, thats impressive and good to know. Mule Deer has said Shaw has come a long way in barrels. This seemed to prove it.

But if it won't do it all the time, then its simply one of two things, its not a .5 moa gun, or the shooter is not .5 moa capable.

Regardless if I had a gun that would nto shoot .5 moa consistently if conditions or shot calls didn't mess that up, IE faults not of the gun, then I'd advertise it as best groups around X, worst groups around Y

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Rost, not taken that way at all..I'd actually be very curious to see what a 6 upper is consistently capable of in the hands of a shooter such as yourself or some of the others we have here whose skills I'm sure outshine mine.

She's gone shootin..
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I don't consider myself to be that good of a shooter, only what I feel everyone should be capable of if they apply themselves and practice a bit.

Especially off a set of bags on a bench to simply test the capability of the gun.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (17CalFan, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 66 invisible), 2,196 guests, and 1,127 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,741
Posts18,457,686
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.