Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
48.7 grains of Superformance has given me 3430fps and consistent .5" groups at 100 yards. This is with a Tikka 22.4" barrel.

Certainly not a mild load but one I'm sure would be good for your daughter after she is comfortable shooting full power .243 loads. It sure makes me happy.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by country_20boy
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by GregW
Max of RL-17...

3400+...

If ya wanna go domestic and old school....

work up to 42.5 grains of 4064....that will get you to 3400 fps neighborhoods, depending upon barrel length....

My nosler book and Hornady book both show a max between 38 and 39 grains with 80 gr cup and core bullets. Hornady online shows a max of 36 with a GMX.
Barnes doesn't have data online for 4064.
I'm not trying to get max velocity. I'd be happy at 3000-3200.
Anybody else use 4064 and 80 gr ttsx?

Edit to add:
I found several old topics here using google and several of you guys were using 41 and 41.5 grains of 4064 with excellent results. I guess I'll work up to 38 or 39 and see what happens.

42.5 grains is OLD load data, from the old IMR Brown Sheet..

I've used it for years and its been more than safe with 8 or 9 different 243s that have passed thru my hands over the last 20 or more years...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Bump this back to the top for additional questions.

I've tried RL-16, 4064, 4451 & IMR 4350 with various powder charges from mid to max according to the books I have. Virtually everything I've shot groups about 1 3/4" to 2 1/4" with the occasional 1" group that gets me excited then I can't repeat it next time out. So far nothing has really beat the Hornady Superformance 80 GMX factory loads that go about 1.5" and are screaming.

I really want to hand load the 80 TTSX, so I'm not giving up on them yet. Suggestions? I'm loading to 0.050" off the lands which is also only 0.004 longer than Barnes suggested OAL. Should I take the "best" load so far and play with the seating depth?

Also I know this is a factory model 7 with a cheap wood stock so I'm not expecting 1 hole accuracy but +/-1" repeatable would be nice.

Thoughts??

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[quote=country_20boy]Bump this back to the top for additional questions.

I've tried RL-16, 4064, 4451 & IMR 4350 with various powder charges from mid to max according to the books I have. Virtually everything I've shot groups about 1 3/4" to 2 1/4" with the occasional 1" group that gets me excited then I can't repeat it next time out. So far nothing has really beat the Hornady Superformance 80 GMX factory loads that go about 1.5" and are screaming.

I really want to hand load the 80 TTSX, so I'm not giving up on them yet. Suggestions? I'm loading to 0.050" off the lands which is also only 0.004 longer than Barnes suggested OAL. Should I take the "best" load so far and play with the seating depth?

Also I know this is a factory model 7 with a cheap wood stock so I'm not expecting 1 hole accuracy but +/-1" repeatable would be nice.

Thoughts?? [/quote)
I used 41.0grs. of RL17 with a Federal 210M primer seating the 80gr. TTSX 2.620" OAL and get 0.300" 3-shot group at 100yds. I chronographed it at 3045 fps. Haven't shot any animals with it yet. Hopefully has enough velocity to open up.

Last edited by 700xcr; 04/20/17.

Nothing like a Remington 700xcr.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
You might want to play with seating depth.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Try Varget

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I'll grab some varget next time I'm out. I loaded some rounds up with imr 4831 today that I found in my brother's reloading box.
I also loaded some with rl16 about 0.015 shorter than previously. Maybe I can shoot them Sunday afternoon.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
FWIW, a slightly faster powder may reduce some blast in the shorter M7 bbl, if that's an issue.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
FWIW, a slightly faster powder may reduce some blast in the shorter M7 bbl, if that's an issue.

Re Reading the thread, I was thinking the same thing...but I know it will reduce the muzzle blast...

powders that are readily available....Either of the 4198s, RL 7, H 322 and AA 2015....

try 25 to 30 grains of any one of those...

If you are hunting 30/30 ranges, you can drop either 4198 down to 20 grains and they will duplicate a 30/30 for MV...same with RL 7.

I've spent a lot of time developing loads for kids to shoot over the last 10 to 12 years...

where I deer hunt it is 30/30 ranges, so I use these loads myself...with an appropriate bullet they will work all day long on a deer.. regardless of size...your 80 grain Barnes falls into that realm...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
How about a reduced load of H4895?

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
How about a reduced load of H4895?

Cliff,

problems with H4895 reduced loads are:

1. More muzzle blast ( for some reason)....it intimidates young shooters and a lot of women shooters..
IMR 4895 is a better choice..

2. Accuracy and consistency...

in my experiences, its accuracy is not consistent... you might find a charge that is a real tack driver... and then move that up or down a few tenths of a grain and your groups start opening up...

the powders mentioned in my post above, I prefer those powders as they don't have either one of the above two problems...

H4895 works, but there are better choices....

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
John, thanks for this info. I was attempting to offer an alternative for consideration but since I've not used either one in reduced loads, I'm unable to comment on them and will yield to your experience.

I did read (here on the fire, I believe) A comment that Hodgdon technicians have recommended to NOT use IMR 4895 due to inconsistencies but recommended staying with H4895. For some reason, I think John Barsness posted that information. I'll go try to find it.

Thanks again.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Cliff,

As mentioned by Hodgdon, recommending NOT to substitute IMR's 4895 for Hodgdon's...

I deduce a simple explanation for that one...

a little speculation on my part here, but an educated guess isn't that hard to figure out...

ADI GAVE Hodgdon the data and load testing, using what is labeled H 4895 here in the USA... Hodgdon didn't do anything on their own... its not their data... its ADI...

NO ONE official has done the same work with IMRs 4895... so they don't have any official sanctioned and verified data...

But they DO have a legal dept... and to avoid any potential Law suits, suing them... they simply say that they don't recommend it...

A lot of the reduced load world, such as in cast bullet manuals, isn't sanctioned by the Powder Manufacturers...

its all about avoiding law suits, from idiots who screw up and then blame the powder manufacturers, and get themselves some ambulance chasing type lawyer... the "Better Call Saul"
types.

cast bullet loading and reduced velocity loading, is for people who can use their brains... ( which isn't everybody).. factory load data is for those who can't think and only know how to follow someone else's instructions...

but each handloader needs to evaluate their skill level and experiences and follow their conscience...

its a good thing, for those who really don't know what they are doing, to stay away from trying to do their own work.. and rely on factory info only...

however if someone does want a reduced load, for less recoil...I can tell ya, if they disassemble a Factory "reduced load" such as Remington Managed Recoil rounds, they will find the powder used, is IMR 4198... but it seems factories don't want the public to know that, or create their own loads, as it will cut into that profitable little product nitch...

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey

Re Reading the thread, I was thinking the same thing...but I know it will reduce the muzzle blast...

powders that are readily available....Either of the 4198s, RL 7, H 322 and AA 2015....

try 25 to 30 grains of any one of those...

If you are hunting 30/30 ranges, you can drop either 4198 down to 20 grains and they will duplicate a 30/30 for MV...same with RL 7.

I've spent a lot of time developing loads for kids to shoot over the last 10 to 12 years...

where I deer hunt it is 30/30 ranges, so I use these loads myself...with an appropriate bullet they will work all day long on a deer.. regardless of size...your 80 grain Barnes falls into that realm...

Thanks for the info Seafire. I am already loading some greatly reduced loads with Trailboss and 75gr NBT (thanks to you and others) for practice with my daughter. When I first made this thread, I was looking for a mild ttsx load for hunting, but about a week after I posted, she decided she was ready to try for her first deer and I hadn't made time to work up a load as I really thought she wanted to wait another year. So, I just loaded up the factory Hornady GMX ammo that I had used previously with the gun and hoped she could handle it. On our 4th hunt, she killed a 19 3/4" wide 10 point at 80 yards and never even thought about the recoil!! So after that, my goals changed a little and I decided I may as well go with full speed loads, as I firmly believe that the ttsx or gmx work best running hot. So I'm more focused now on getting something to group decent with the 80 gr ttsx and run 3200-3300ish.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Glad to hear the good news...and congrats on the young lady...that sounds like an awful nice deer for her first one..

if you want max velocity for an 80 grain bullet, the old IMR data for 4064, was 42.5 grains, for an MV in the 3350 fps range...

its a load that has been around for decades...

with the Barnes, work up of course as they seem to have different standards to apply than other cup and core bullets do....

but that powder has always been accurate for me...along with strong velocity potential.. even on barrels that are starting to wear a little...

IMR 4895 is never a wrong answer either... it'll get you to that 3300 fps range with an 80 grain bullet also...

best of luck to you and your daughter...

and congrats to a proud dad also...on setting the little lady up for that fine sounding deer...

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11652760/Re:_Daughter's_first_deer_(my_#Post11652760

Since you begged for it, I am forced grin to post her deer again! I'm just a little bit proud of her.

It seems that there are a number of powders that will provide the velocity, I just need to find the right combination. The 4064 loads I tried were decent (1.75" at 42 grains), but not quite what I wanted. I'm going to try same with a slightly more jump and see where it goes. There are so many combinations and so little time to shoot......!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It has been my experience with Barnes bullets that the best accuracy comes when pushing them to near max velocity. I've experienced this in several different rifles and calibers.

With that being said, a few years ago I worked up an accurate load using the 80 gr TTSX using 46.8 gr Ramshot Hunter for ~3415 fps. Since then, the multiple deer, antelope, hogs and coyotes haven't complained once.

Good luck!

Goofy aka graybird on other forums

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning"
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I’m going to try the Varget, need to load some for grandson to try.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by hanco
I’m going to try the Varget, need to load some for grandson to try.

If you have access to the 85gr TTSX, my go-to load is'

41.5gr H-4831SC
CCI BR-2
COAL - 2.650.

Routinely puts five shots into .750-.800" @ 100yds.

I have not chrono'ed it.

This is out of my .243 RAR Predator.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I saw this thread this morning and clicked on it before realizing that it was started by me over 2 years ago. LOL!!!

So as an update, I ended up with a great load of RL-15 pushing the 80 gr TTSX at +/-3,180 fps and it shoots 3/4" or better if I do my part. My daughter has now killed 5 deer with this load and every one has run less than 40 yards and had good blood trails. The latest victim was a 185 lb 9 point that she dropped in it's tracks on Sat morning at about 70 yards. I have highly recommended these bullets to everyone that will listen, especially for a youth. The recoil is very low, even for a .243 and they kill way above their weight class, always exiting on broadside shots and providing blood trails.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

364 members (1lesfox, 06hunter59, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 39 invisible), 1,872 guests, and 1,011 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,602
Posts18,454,655
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.