Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I want to do something different with jerky this year. I shot a mature doe yesterday just for this purpose.

Historically, I've used different marinades and a dehydrator. I know some of you use electric smokers. I'm not opposed to buying one, I just need some info.

So....tell me how you do it. Smoker types, cook times, recipes, slicing thickness, etc. Take me to jerky school....

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I come across this Chipotle jerky earlier this year, and I keep coming back to it to make more... it's a little "tangy" and I like it that way. You might give it a try.

"...buzzards gota eat same as worms" Josey Wales
NRA lifer
Hunting is Conservation
RMEF Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like marinade in a bottle of allegro zesty game marinade + a bottle of tiger sauce. Then sprinkle cavenders Greek seasoning and red pepper flakes directly on the meat when put on a dehydrator. Over night at 105*

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is what I use, although I have tweaked it a little to suit myself. Ie. I salt and pepper the meat after it is on the dehydrator, instead of mixing the pepper in the marinade. I also omit the liquid smoke.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Blacklands Beef Jerky Marinade

Recipe By : Allen Phelps
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
10 ounces Pepsi Cola
5 ounces worcestershire sauce
5 ounces teriyaki sauce
2 tablespoons Liquid Barbecue Smoke=AE
2 tablespoons brown sugar (light)
black pepper

Combine all ingredients and marinate jerky meat overnight. Dehydrate
according to dehydrator instructions.

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I tried a couple of batches of this stuff and it was very good. Simple and I just dried it in the oven as I was being lazy.

https://www.psseasoning.com/collections/jerky-making-kits

I thought it turned out really good.

I used the garlic and cracked pepper.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
I like marinade in a bottle of allegro zesty game marinade + a bottle of tiger sauce. Then sprinkle cavenders Greek seasoning and red pepper flakes directly on the meat when put on a dehydrator. Over night at 105*

It's hard to beat an Allegro base for jerky, I'll try it with Tiger sauce. Allegro makes great fajitas too.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Here's a jerky marinade that I found several seasons ago, it is a crowd pleaser everyone who has tried it likes it. Although it is called Hot-N-Spicy I prefer to call it Tangy neither too hot nor too spicy.

Hot-N-Spicy Jerky Marinade

2/3C Worstershire Sauce

2/3C Soy Sauce

1 Tsp. Pepper

1 Tsp. Garlic Powder

1 Tsp. Onion Powder

1 Tsp. Sea Salt

2 Tsp. Liquid Smoke (I use Hickory, Mesquite is good too)

2 Tsp. Tobasco

Combine ingredients in a 2 cup Pyrex measuring cup and nuke in the microwave for a couple of minutes. Pour the warm marinade over your jerky and refrigerate 24-48 hrs.
Remove and place on drying racks in the oven set at the lowest temp. (my oven this is 160). Prop the door open slightly to allow moisture to escape and dry to your preference. Some folks prefer moister and some dryer, check frequently to avoid overdrying. I always make several batches of this each season, it is by far the best jerky recipe I've found. Enjoy!

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Do any of you use a smoker? I'm toying with the idea...

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yes I use a smoker for making jerky sometimes. I have a Luhr Jenssen Little Chief that I have had for 40 yrs.. My preference in wood chips is alderwood for wild game, fish and red meat, applewood for fowl.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

237 members (163bc, 12344mag, 2UP, 257 mag, 007FJ, 30 invisible), 1,846 guests, and 1,000 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,290
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.