-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anyone have a chance to use the Garmin Smart Delta e-collars yet? My pup was started with a Garmin Trip-tronics collar by our professional trainer, but I haven't felt a need to use it since. That is until a couple nights ago when Mr. Rabbit came bounding through our yard at night when I had the pup out before bed. 45 minutes later I got my pup back. Glad it wasn't a coyote!

All that to say I'm considering getting an e-collar for command reinforcement at distance when off-leash. The Smart Delta collars look interesting but there aren't a lot of reviews that I can find. Real life experience would be appreciated. Thanks.

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
GB1

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
You don't mention what kind of dog you have or what you will be doing with your dog, but since you mention that it's been started by a professional trainer I would assume you intend to use it as a hunting dog. In which case this collar is probably not appropriate. 100ft of usable distance is too small for any practical use in the field.

It sounds like these are intended to take field dog methods and package it for a pet dog/urban setting.

The normal Garmin Delta XC is what Im using now and it's decent. Its a little cheaper, has a long range, and decent settings. I like to have a beeper on mine and the I have does, but it doesn't work that great. I've also heard good things about Dogtra products.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like Dogtra. I also consider the 'page' or 'vibrate' feature to be essential.

My mid level Dogtra is waterproof and has a range longer than I'll ever need.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sadly I feel the tritronics quality has went downhill since the purchase of them by Garmin. I have seen and heard a lot of battery and control issues with the Garmin, lots of guys have had their jackets etc change intensity without them knowing and they subsequently fried the dog when a gentle Nick was all they wanted.

TT was the gold standard forever and all of the pro trainers I know are swapping to Dogtra as their older TT Flyways, G2's etc die.

I still love my Flyway for training but its bulky and hunt my G2's due to smaller remotes but when they die it will be Dogtra for me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Get answers here. If you have any questions they are very friendly and will take the time to talk to you.

http://www.gundogsupply.com/dog-training-collars.html

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wildcat33
You don't mention what kind of dog you have or what you will be doing with your dog, but since you mention that it's been started by a professional trainer I would assume you intend to use it as a hunting dog. In which case this collar is probably not appropriate. 100ft of usable distance is too small for any practical use in the field.

Sorry about that. I have a Nova Scotia Duck Toller and have used him for upland and ducks.

After posting I did a bit more reading and realized that the range of the Smart Delta was only 100 ft and thought more about getting my phone out and opening an app every time I wanted to use the collar. I ended up getting what my trainer used, a Garmin Pro 70. There is a rebate on them at the moment ($50 USD) so it ended up being a little bit more than the Smart Delta, but range is much better. I also liked the remote lights on the collar.

Thanks all for the info.

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Glad to hear you found something. Thanks for sharing your breed info, that's a new one to me. Pretty neat looking dog. Good Hunting.

Dave

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

693 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 3,065 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,267
Posts18,467,209
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.