Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by shootsaswede
So after shooting a deer this year with a Creedmor and loving it I am inclined to hunt elk with this mild mannered cartridge. I know that Wayne van Zwoll killed an elk at 600+ yds with an SST but after reading other posts I am convinced this (SST) is not the answer. Since it isn't the fastest I am also thinking that monolithic bullets aren't necessairly the answer either. That leaves me with the Partition, Accubond, Scirroco, etc. What else would you suggest? Is the ballistic tip too soft? I'm all ears.

I would do what a lot of others are yammering about here on the 'fire lately--use the minumum C&C bullet that has the greatest risk of creating the most drama you can and proclaim it to be a "fine elk bullet".

What ever you do, don't use a Partition, TSX, TTSX, Northfork, or any other of those unnecessary bullets...........especially when using a smallish caliber........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by shootsaswede
So after shooting a deer this year with a Creedmor and loving it I am inclined to hunt elk with this mild mannered cartridge. I know that Wayne van Zwoll killed an elk at 600+ yds with an SST but after reading other posts I am convinced this (SST) is not the answer. Since it isn't the fastest I am also thinking that monolithic bullets aren't necessairly the answer either. That leaves me with the Partition, Accubond, Scirroco, etc. What else would you suggest? Is the ballistic tip too soft? I'm all ears.

I would do what a lot of others are yammering about here on the 'fire lately--use the minumum C&C bullet that has the greatest risk of creating the most drama you can and proclaim it to be a "fine elk bullet".

What ever you do, don't use a Partition, TSX, TTSX, Northfork, or any other of those unnecessary bullets...........especially when using a smallish caliber........

Casey

Never ending quest for the lowest common denominator by people who don't know much of anything.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Remington Corlokt.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've killed a dozen with the 140-142 smk/match burners from in your face to 742yds in 260ai. I'd worry more about accuracy and less about brands. If you can drive it there, the elk will flop.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why not a 140gr Partition? I realize it doesn't have a super hot BC(just shy of 0.5 IIRC) but it is a heck of a good design-lots of elk and moose have fallen to it.

Last edited by 340boy; 01/04/17.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 340boy
Why not a 140gr Partition? I realize it doesn't have a super hot BC(just shy of 0.5 IIRC) but it is a heck of a good design?

For me it boils down to velocity windows. I shoot medium speed chamberings, like the creed/260/×47 and feel that by not exceeding the useful velocity of the cup and core bullets I use, I get the best combination of expansion and high bc as a bonus.

If I were using a 257roy or an ultra, I'd be loading it with premiums for sure, but given that rounds that are middle of the road velocity tend to shoot middle of the road bullets (in terms of construction ) with great success.

270 win is one of my favorite examples, nearly every bullet made was designed to operate from 3k fps down. The middle pack 6.5's are very similar.

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a horrible shoulder injury that left me parking all of my big magnums. I ended up killing a roosevelt elk with a 100gr tsx from a 257roy at range. It died where it stood. That was the beginning of the end of me using 70+ grains of powder to kill elk.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by high_country_
Originally Posted by 340boy
Why not a 140gr Partition? I realize it doesn't have a super hot BC(just shy of 0.5 IIRC) but it is a heck of a good design?

For me it boils down to velocity windows. I shoot medium speed chamberings, like the creed/260/×47 and feel that by not exceeding the useful velocity of the cup and core bullets I use, I get the best combination of expansion and high bc as a bonus.

If I were using a 257roy or an ultra, I'd be loading it with premiums for sure, but given that rounds that are middle of the road velocity tend to shoot middle of the road bullets (in terms of construction ) with great success.

270 win is one of my favorite examples, nearly every bullet made was designed to operate from 3k fps down. The middle pack 6.5's are very similar.

I see your point. Not sure what the low end expansion cutoff is for the Partition? 1800fps perhaps? So if a Creed starts it out at what,2700, that doesn't get you out as far as is desirable, I suppose?

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not that the partition would not work perfectly, but the bc is not even in the hunt, so you would have to rethink every shot or burn the parts on rocks and gongs all year. Half of the allure of the match bullets is the consistency, the other is price. You can afford to burn hundreds all year and doing so builds confidence which contributes to a proficient rifleman.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've not used the Creedmoor on elk, but have certainly used similar cartridges. I've thought about building one, and if I did its first choice for elk would be the 140 Partition. If it didn't shoot that the 130 Accubond or 140 Ballistic Tip.

If it didn't shoot those it would get rebarreled. laugh

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by high_country_
Not that the partition would not work perfectly, but the bc is not even in the hunt, so you would have to rethink every shot or burn the parts on rocks and gongs all year. Half of the allure of the match bullets is the consistency, the other is price. You can afford to burn hundreds all year and doing so builds confidence which contributes to a proficient rifleman.

The BC of the 140 Partition isn't great compared to the amazing BCs of some of the 6.5 bullets, but it's still not that bad. You'd have to be shooting pretty far to say the 140 Partition makes that much of a difference or that you would have to make sighting shots. For example, I get just over 2720 with 140gn bullets in the creed. Comparing the 143 ELD-X and 140 Partition, the difference in windage at 300yds (10mph x wind) is only 1.6". Elevation is only .7" off. At 500 it's still ~4" each way. Again that is compared to the exceptional 143 ELD-X. Clearly the 143 is the choice for going real far, but for the vast majority of shooting the 140 Partition would be a great choice and a 140 Partition out of a Creed would compare favorably to many other cartridge/bullet combos. I'm more surprised that the Partition and Accubond are so close. .490 vs. .509 as published. Since I only intend to shoot deer with the creed, I've been playing with the 125 Partition at just over 2900.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The 140 Partition is never a bad choice for killing in the 6.5s. And it will go from antelope to moose with no changes.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The current obsession with LR shooting and high BC bullets has reached the point of absurdity. Within reason, most properly constructed spitzers have a high enough BC for any shooting out to 500-600 yards. And frankly, I'm of the opinion that shooting BIG game past that is more about operator ego than anything else. It sure as hell isn't hunting.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
For once I must agree completely with Brad.. It has been years since I shot at a big game animal at more than 400.. I have been tempted, and have the equipment for maybe 600.. No elk in recent years even caused me to pick up my rifle when beyond say 400.. But I always seem to see a huge mule buck when I don't have my best rifles with.. They are my holy grail.. Elk are meat, mulies are awesome..

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
like jackalopes...

Last edited by huntsman22; 01/05/17.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I am hooked on my 270 Montana throwing 140 gr TSX's. With it and my M70 2375 H&H I can be well set dumping the other dozen.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Brad
The current obsession with LR shooting and high BC bullets has reached the point of absurdity. Within reason, most properly constructed spitzers have a high enough BC for any shooting out to 500-600 yards. And frankly, I'm of the opinion that shooting BIG game past that is more about operator ego than anything else. It sure as hell isn't hunting.

This^^^

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
I am hooked on my 270 Montana throwing 140 gr TSX's. With it and my M70 2375 H&H I can be well set dumping the other dozen.

I had a 270Roy that loved the 140gr TSX. 3300fps. Though I never killed an elk with it, it sure did the number on a few Muleys! cool

James Elroy Flecker

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by prm
.......... I'm more surprised that the Partition and Accubond are so close. .490 vs. .509 as published. Since I only intend to shoot deer with the creed, I've been playing with the 125 Partition at just over 2900.

Im not surprised at all..... smile

Not the 140 6.5, but I have shot many 160 AB's, and Nosler Partitions from the 7mm Mashburn Super and 7 Rem Mag and were is so little difference to 600 yards that......well....there is no practical difference 600 yards and in.

Last edited by BobinNH; 01/06/17.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone loaded that partition in a creed? It looks like it would be seated pretty deep in the case.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

702 members (12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 3,026 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,267
Posts18,467,209
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.