Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Anyone have experience with the Burris Speed Bead dot sights? Input is appreciated.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I tried one on a Beretta 391.....can't say it did anything for me.....It was a gift....never would have bought one...took it off and it's in the gun safe.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I view any kind of fancy bead on a shotgun as superfluous- their chief value lying in how well they seperate the rubes from their money. Beads of any kind are superfluous for that matter, but I do like a small ivory or brass bead just for aesthetic reasons. Try an experiment by which you remove the bead entirely and then shoot a couple rounds of skeet, clays, or trap. I bet your scores remain the same, or perhaps even improve.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 11/28/16.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lots of turkey hunters use the FastFire for accurately placing a tight cluster of shot on a gobblers neck. I can sorta kinda understand that, especially if the load doesn't hit to point of aim and needs some adjustment to get it where you're looking. The FastFire III has some improvements that make it more user friendly than the Speedbeads Gen II version.

For wingshooting I'd never consider one.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
MWN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I view any kind of fancy bead on a shotgun as superfluous- their chief value lying in how well they seperate the rubes from their money. Beads of any kind are superfluous for that matter, but I do like a small ivory or brass bead just for aesthetic reasons. Try an experiment by which you remove the bead entirely and then shoot a couple rounds of skeet, clays, or trap. I bet your scores remain the same, or perhaps even improve.

There are some applications where a sight of some type might be handy on a shotgun; perhaps in turkey shooting as somebody suggested.

But otherwise Gnoahh is spot on for any moving/flying target shooting. If you are 'aiming' a shotgun with the bead you are probably doing an unnecessary amount of missing.

First time I ever saw 'Sporting Clays' was around 1986. A dude ranch in the area where I lived was setting up a course as they catered to a lot of English clients. They brought in a sporting clays shooting instructor to set up the course and I got invited to go through his program. I thought I was a fair hand with a shotgun (ATA 27-yarder), but this guy took us to school. He shot a very used H&H side by side with hardly any finish left on it. First thing he did was remove the beads on our shotguns. We then learned how to point, swing, and follow through. We learned the importance of fit and point of impact. We came out much better shooters.

Did not mean to take the thread off course. I have several dot sights on handguns, including a Burris, that I am very fond of. But I don't think they have a place on a shotgun except perhaps on a stationary target (?).

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand at the ready to do violence on their behalf.
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
MWN, good info. Thank you.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

This is spot on. Turkey hunting, OK. Anything flying no. Look ONLY at the target and anything that interferes with that needs to come off your shotgun.

I remove my front bead on my target guns and my field guns have such a small bead it just does not matter

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I have one on my sbe2. and love it...those above who say beads of any kind are superfluous have never hunted much from a layout blind where getting a good mount isn't always possible simply due to the angle of the bird.. he'll I've had to shoot geese behind me one handed.

the nice thing about the speedbead is no matter where your head is the shot string is going where the red dot is

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (1lessdog, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,833 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,341
Posts18,468,725
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.