Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sixpack Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have my grandfathers old model 94 30-30 that he gave me as my first rifle in the mid 80's and it is in need of some attention. It looks almost like it did when he gave it to me.... like you drug it down a gravel road for a few miles behind a truck. And he wasnt one to miss many ruff spots in the road! Lol. It was simply a tool; nothing more and nothing less. It is functional but is ratty. The bluing is gone, the finish is almost totally peeled off stocks, and it will rust if you look at it. It shoots well enough for its intended purpose... still hunting the pine thickets of the Deep South and/or tracking. It's a post '64 without much real value other than its special to me. My question is this:

Has anyone cerakoted a lever gun? How did it turn out? Would you do it again?

I have a friend that has cerakoted (may not be exactly cerakoted but something very similar) a couple of shotguns for me that turned out great and have held up really well. I was thinking of sending it to the gunsmith and having the action stripped and cleaned and replace anything worn. Also have him add a 1/2" decelerator pad without changing length of pull. It already wears a Williams peep so that is covered. Then have the barreled action coated od green and stocks coated black. What's this sound like? Good idea or bad? I'll never sale it; just trying to make it a little more functional and weather resistant. Or should I just hunt the rust bucket? Any and all thoughts welcome.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My taste runs towards old guns and not tactical type stuff, so I'd leave it as-is. It doesn't sound like what you're adding will help functionality of it.

I would find out if it is a rare variant. If not, you won't hurt the value and should do as you please.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Understand and totally not into the tactical thing either. Coating would be for rust prevention and to make it look a little better too. Recoil pad is to soften the blow from the steel butt plate. It is not a rare variety; made in early 70s just a plain Jane run of the mill model 94 in boring but dependable 30-30. It looks pretty bad with the receiver rusted; it is scarred a little worse than a freckling of rust. May be something to the finish of this era gun. May be less tactical looking in a matte black coating instead.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
May just have pad installed and action defunkified. Might be easiest thing and call it good. Can't really decide if I would like it coated or not anyways.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I figured it was older than that. If it was made in the 70's you can do what you want with it and it won't hurt anything.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It is a 1970's Winchester, as such it is a good rifle but not a collectible rifle. I would do to it what pleases you, you won't hurt the value and you probably won't get your money back if you sell it. However I doubt you would sell it so that doesn't matter.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It ain't a '70's rifle if it has a steel butt plate. Does it have a screw in the underside of the action just behind the serial # ?

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Post '64 Model 94 serial #'s began at 2,700,000....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Blackheart
It ain't a '70's rifle if it has a steel butt plate. Does it have a screw in the underside of the action just behind the serial # ?

It certainly appears to me to be. It's a 3,785,xxx serial number and most definitely has a steel butt plate.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Post '64 Model 94 serial #'s began at 2,700,000....

Yes sir it's a 3,785,xxx number which I would guess would be mid 70s by the chart I was looking at.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
This is what I was going by on serial numbers.

http://guncollectionsonline.com/winchestermodel94.htm

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Does it have a screw in the underside of the action just behind the serial # ?

It does not have a screw in underside

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Sixpack

OK if its serial # is in the 3 million range then it's definitely post 64. I'm thinking somebody replaced the original buttplate at some time because a 70's 94 should have a black, hard rubber butt plate.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular

OK if its serial # is in the 3 million range then it's definitely post 64. I'm thinking somebody replaced the original buttplate at some time because a 70's 94 should have a black, hard rubber butt plate.

Very well might have happened even though I don't know why. As bad as hard rubber pads are, steel is worse.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Very well might have happened even though I don't know why. As bad as hard rubber pads are, steel is worse.
I've got a pre 64 with checkered steel butt plate and one from the 70's with the hard rubber butt plate and I can't tell a bit of difference in how they feel when you shoot them. Recoil is very mild with either.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a '70 model with a steel buttplate, also.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Are you sure it's original and steel Vic ? The early hard rubber ones were thin and checkered and looked remarkably like the steel ones. Later they went to the the thicker hard rubber ones that had the Winchester horse and rider logo with "Winchester repeating arms" molded into the back.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No, it's steel, and I carried it out of the store in 1970. I had to carry it for my mom, it was her gun, she signed for it....(grin)

It is thin, has something like a diamond-plate pattern on it, a magnet sticks to it, and the bluing has worn off the edges.

I never paid much attention until just a little bit later I started seeing them with the plastic buttplates. I'm thinking they just used up old stock before they started installing the newer ones.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've had some guns cerocoated. I had this Savage 99 358 which was very rusted and pitted on the outside so I had a hammered texture powdercoating applied, which hid all that. The ceracoat one's I've had done scratch easily, YMMV. The powdercoat is tough as hell and comes in many colors and textures or smooth.

[Linked Image]

LOL
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
No, it's steel, and I carried it out of the store in 1970. I had to carry it for my mom, it was her gun, she signed for it....(grin)

It is thin, has something like a diamond-plate pattern on it, a magnet sticks to it, and the bluing has worn off the edges.

I never paid much attention until just a little bit later I started seeing them with the plastic buttplates. I'm thinking they just used up old stock before they started installing the newer ones.
I've seen a couple from the mid to late 60's with the steel buttplates and have thought the same, that they were using up old stock. Never saw one from the 70's with steel. Thought they were all switched over to rubber by then. I've had 94's from '75, '77 and '79 and they all had the hard rubber plates.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

639 members (1eyedmule, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1minute, 1936M71, 70 invisible), 3,265 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,588
Posts18,454,274
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.