Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
No degree, I am truly sorry to say you don't meet our high standards In order to be on our forum. shocked

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Cast, I go thru the same BS on a regular basis. Very Good at what I do. But no 4 year degree. Many jobs in my field require online job applications. Inevitably they ask for a 4 year degree. And I get the quick exit out the side door of the automated application process.

Just keep on keeping on. You'll land in the right place. Also, as others said above, an interview is a two way process. If it doesn't "feel right" to you, listen to your gut, and move on...

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

A college degree is WAY ovvverrrrated.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by Spanokopitas
Originally Posted by powdr
I think that most work places look at a brick and mortar degree as something that was not easy to obtain. I now that I did when I was in management. The fact that someone stuck it out over a 4,5,or 6 year term makes a difference in some people's yes. I have 3 college degrees w/my major study coming from the U of Texas. I rarely had trouble getting an interview for jobs I was qualified for. It does make a difference. powdr

You gotta be kidding.

Three college degrees? And you can't spell or write a coherent paragraph?

You might have gotten an interview but I doubt it lasted more than a few minutes and only then if you are a member of the "Protected Class".

His paragraph, while having a few errors, was much more comprehensible and far more earnest than rebottled, relabeled, and resold mixed wine. YMMV, of course, depending upon how close to the left coast, and/or how far up your own ass, your head might be. Given that you max both scales, it's no wonder you still don't get it.

This^^^, in spades.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Spanokopitas

A college degree is WAY ovvverrrrated.

Says the wino who sold a ? $ place fot what $?

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Three pages and the OP has not revealed what is the job for which he applied.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If a degree and field are requirements, those needs should be listed in the position announcement. Failure to do so is a waste of their time and yours.

1Minute
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Took me almost 20 years of painting houses to figure out there are lots of ways to make money (and I have a 4 year degree).

Don't trap yourself into self imposed lanes of thought. Like I said, there are lots of ways to make money.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Prwlr

The specific job is not germane to this conversation. No matter what it is.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Ringman

So doctors and lawyer's don't need an education?

Some jobs require a degree due to state regulations. In other instances a degree may be important for credibility, think of consultants giving testimony in court cases, as one example.

You blanket statement fail to consider many possibilities.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by Ringman

So doctors and lawyer's don't need an education?

Some jobs require a degree due to state regulations. In other instances a degree may be important for credibility, think of consultants giving testimony in court cases, as one example.

You blanket statement fail to consider many possibilities.

Yup...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cast
I had a job interview this morning. Everybody agreed I was a perfect fit. I am. Until they asked if I had a four year degree, and not from an online university. I don't but usually my USN veteran status and extensive experience trumps that. Nope. Everybody at that place right down to the receptionist and assistants have four year degrees. I don't get it.

After conjugating on it, I don't think I would want to work at a place like that.

What say my new buddies?

Cogitating? (Did you try to use that word in the interview? grin)

Phugg 'em. Tons of opportunities for a reasonably intelligent fella to make a good living. Or put that GI Bill to use.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by powdr
I think that most work places look at a brick and mortar degree as something that was not easy to obtain. I now that I did when I was in management. The fact that someone stuck it out over a 4,5,or 6 year term makes a difference in some people's yes. I have 3 college degrees w/my major study coming from the U of Texas. I rarely had trouble getting an interview for jobs I was qualified for. It does make a difference. powdr

Long before I ever earned a degree I was singled out from a starting group of a couple dozen guys, partly because I could swing a pick effectively, and partly because I didn't want to stand around watching the guys who had no clue try. Funny thing was, when I was talking to the boss sometime later, he told me his advertising firm looked at whether a degree had been earned, but cared less about what it was earned in. College is many things. An often overlooked part (and I'll admit there are many ridiculous elements involved in the whole) is that of the process. You have to learn to jump through hoops to get it done. Ain't fun, but life involves plenty of obstacles that require creativity and/or patience and/or perseverance of the sort that colleges seen enjoy toying with.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd say it's their company and they have the right to set the requirements for employment.

On the other hand, they should have made it clear that a degree was required before they set up an interview, unless the position was one for which a degree is normally expected. If that's the case, and you went to the interview anyway, you wasted your own time.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Best thing for you to do is work for their competition!:D

There is a lot of my thoughts already posted. If a degree has no real value to the career, you need to find an opportunity to prove yourself, and get specific training.

A couple Certifications can open door usually only open to folks with an associated degree.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1minute
If a degree and field are requirements, those needs should be listed in the position announcement. Failure to do so is a waste of their time and yours.

Exactly! I knew if I read long enough , I would not have to post this sentiment.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
On line degrees ain't worth the paper they are written on, they hand em' out like candy.

Even in school degrees have been watered down to the point where it has become what's the point.

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Anybody that has put a kid through college lately knows that a big part of that is online, regardless of the school.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BigNate
Best thing for you to do is work for their competition!:D

That really is a good idea for a great interview question. After the interview has gone south over a issue like education, ask them who their competition is then ask them if they'd like you working for their competition.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Timberlake
Years ago, when I was doing some hiring in a major manufacturing environment, I found that an Eagle Scout status equaled any four year degree.

grin grin

Especially with most of today's graduates!! eek

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (12344mag, 1234, 204guy, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 53 invisible), 2,317 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,618
Posts18,454,995
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.