Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ShakyHands
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I prefer that a scope's physical size is in sync with the size of the firearm upon which it is mounted, sort of a feng shui for firearms thing.

I have a few 10/22s around and those that have scopes on them, have these scopes:

1. 10/22 KRBIBBZ - Weaver Rv7, 2-7x28
2. 10/22 K10/22-22 - Leupold Rifleman 4-12x40
3. 10/22 CRRPBZ - Redfield Tracker 2-7x32
4. 10/22 KRBIBBZ rebarreled to 17HM2 - Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40

Nice list of rimfire scopes ... perhaps you can comment on those scopes? Cons/Pros? Which one do you like the most etc?

They all work fine, or I'd change to something that worked better for me. The 2-7x scopes are, size wise, more in sync with the standard 18.5" barrel 10/22s, while the 4-12x scope doesn't overwhelm that 10/22 'cause it has a 24" stainless/fluted GM barrel installed on it. The 17HM2 could use more magnification, but it is a mannlicher stocked rifle so a 4-12x or larger would be too big physically. The 3-9x is a compromise, a little large for my taste and a little less magnification than I'd like, but it is OK. I may just pull the 17HM2 barrel and convert it back to .22 LR. or maybe not, I'm not sure. I have a stack of .22 rimfire rifles, so finding an alternative isn't a problem.

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by deflave
I've bought two Nikon Pro-Staff rimfires in the 3-9 range this year and couldn't be more pleased. Yes the BDC works.

aalf's VX-1 idea is also good but requires effort.

Dave

^^^^^^^^^^What da' man said...^^^^^^^^^

Nikon 3-9 rimfire w/ BDC

Last edited by DELGUE; 11/28/16.

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I just recently went with a couple Bushnell AR22 2-7 BDC scopes. Just plinking so far but they've been excellent and are VERY reasonable ~$109/shipped from Amazon.....
[Linked Image]

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
The 10/22 was a surprise gift.
We picked it up Saturday and he was truly happy and surprised.
With a rain storm approaching, we ran out to the country and quickly put a hundred rounds through it.
Fit, finish, accuracy and function were all better than expected.
I had him compare my (very old 10/22) with a 3.5X10, and play with power settings.
I think we have narrowed it down to a Burris 2X7X35 “Droptine” rimfire scope, and the Nikon “Pro-Staff” 3X9X40 rimfire for a Christmas gift.
He has two weeks to decide, and he’s leaning towards the Burris.
http://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/droptine-riflescopes-series/droptine-riflescope-2-7x35mm

MOLON LABE
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a Weaver V24 6-24x on my Cooper 57M sporter and used it today to dispatch a sick racoon at 40 yds. I don't know about this feng shui stuff but a full size .22 can handle a big scope and there are times when the extra X can be nice.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cooper57m
I have a Weaver V24 6-24x on my Cooper 57M sporter and used it today to dispatch a sick racoon at 40 yds. I don't know about this feng shui stuff but a full size .22 can handle a big scope and there are times when the extra X can be nice.

[Linked Image]

I don't know any foriegn languages so my bolt .22 has a 6-24X and like I mentioned earlier my 10/22 has a 4-16X. The only change I would make would be to switch to Bushnell to take advantage of the hydrophobic coating.

Is there another company that has that kind of coating?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by Anaconda
The 10/22 was a surprise gift.
We picked it up Saturday and he was truly happy and surprised.
With a rain storm approaching, we ran out to the country and quickly put a hundred rounds through it.
Fit, finish, accuracy and function were all better than expected.
I had him compare my (very old 10/22) with a 3.5X10, and play with power settings.
I think we have narrowed it down to a Burris 2X7X35 “Droptine” rimfire scope, and the Nikon “Pro-Staff” 3X9X40 rimfire for a Christmas gift.
He has two weeks to decide, and he’s leaning towards the Burris.
http://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/droptine-riflescopes-series/droptine-riflescope-2-7x35mm

The Burris 2-7-35 was also on my list but at the end decided on the Vortex because of the wider field of view. 64.3 feeet for Vortex vs 45 feet for the Burris. That's 30% more! Plus the Burris wont even give you the fixed Paralax info. When I'm walking through the woods and I need to make a quick shot, very often at aa very close distance, I just want to see as much as possible through my scope when I put the scope to my eye.

I'n not a Vortex guy and this is my only Vortex scope, but when I buy scopes, I buy them for a purpose.

I just don't understand why anybody would put a high magnification scope on a small game rifle as not many hunters can successfully take out squirrel size game at 100+ yards with a 22lr.

Last edited by ShakyHands; 11/28/16.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

[Linked Image]

Just an FYI... but cooper57 and I have only known each other for over 4 decades... I doubt anyone here is even in his league at shooting 22lr from a bench...

You have been led to water...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Weaver 4X would have been the only other scope I would have considered but I wanted Gloss....

Put a K 6 Ruger on top of my son's 10/22, with a heavy barrel on it...

as a kid, he was pretty consist of nailing sage rats out to about 125 yds or more with it...off a rest of with a bipod on it, but that K 6 was pretty balanced for field shooting those sage rats...

Have several of the Weaver 2 x 7 rimfire scopes, another excellent scope for that service....

but then also like Ringman, 4 x 16 Tasco on one....

Not on rimfire, but on 223, have several of the Bushnell AR Optics which are great scopes for the money....

none of the 10/22s have seen much action since Obama's been in office tho.. due to the price and lack of availability of 22 LR ammo...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
>>"I just don't understand why anybody would put a high magnification scope on a small game rifle as not many hunters can successfully take out squirrel size game at 100+ yards with a 22lr."<<

I'll tell ya why, with a .22 it's not always about shooting squirrels. If one's idea of fun is to take out a .03" dot at 50 yards, it helps to be able to see that tiny dot. I started out my .22 benchrest hobby using that Cooper with that scope. Even tho I haven't competed with that rifle for over 10 years, I have kept that scope on there because the rifle is accurate enough that it can take advantage of that extra magnification. Most of the time it's left on 6X for when it's employed for pest duty, but when I take it to the range, it's not too much scope at all. For me, what is aesthetic, is a nice 0.1" group or pinwheeling that tiny dot. I do have some plinking .22s and they all have 4-12X AO scopes on them, and that is fine for them as they are not capable of taking advantage of the extra magnification.

Last edited by cooper57m; 11/29/16.
IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
You don't need a 'rimfire' scope on a 10/22. Y'all are thinking air rifles, they do tear up a normal scope. All but one of my 10/22's wear Leupold VX 2's in lower mag with AO. All are custom builds and all get a Kidd bolt buffer. They are several thousand rounds into the scopes and still shooting bugholes.

I would go with a 40mm AO Leupold VX II from eBay and Zee signature rings. You'll need to try several types of ammo to see what your new favorite gun likes. BTW, suppressing a 10/22 will make it shoot better with more types of ammo in my experience.

If you want to do the gun proud, send the bolt and barrel to Randy at CPC. He'll match them up and true the chamber and even thread it for a suppressor for you at a nominal cost.

Looks like I can't post pics directly to the board, so y'all don't get to see...

Cast

I have a short attention spa
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I bought a bargain basement shotgun scope for one of my .22's and it works great They are normally 50 yd scopes, usually with a reticle that facilitates longer shots and rugged.
This seems to be a great buy on a really decent scope.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11616172/For_Sale:_Nikon_Shotgun_Hunter#Post11616172

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ShakyHands
I just don't understand why anybody would put a high magnification scope on a small game rifle as not many hunters can successfully take out squirrel size game at 100+ yards with a 22lr.

I just don't understand why anybody would not put a high magnification scope on any rifle whether it is for small game or target or big game. Some guys shoot ground squirrels out beyond 200 yards. A typical animal is 2" thick and 7" tall. Despite them being rodents one still wants a clean kill with a chest shot or head shot. Limited magnification does not allow that.

This is supposing one has a .22 accurate enough for 7/8" groups at 100 yards.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ringman

[Linked Image]

I don't know any foriegn languages so my bolt .22 has a 6-24X and like I mentioned earlier my 10/22 has a 4-16X. The only change I would make would be to switch to Bushnell to take advantage of the hydrophobic coating.

Is there another company that has that kind of coating?

Everybody has different experiences and opinions, but, as often happens, the scope and direction of the conversation changes and before long the answers don't reflect the parameters of the original questions.

The OP said that he was looking for a decent scope that cost no more than $150, was in the 2-7x or 3-9x range, and would be used for plinking and shooting ground squirrels. While the Weaver V16 and V24 are nice scopes, they don't seem to fall within the parameters of what the OP is looking for in terms of cost, magnification, or intended use.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Here is my initial reply to the OP's question, which I understood very well.

>>"Buy a rimfire scope or an moderately priced scope with an adjustable objective. Most of the shooting with a .22 will be under 50 yds and most scopes are parallax free at 100 yds. I have a Bushnell Trophy 4-12 on mine. All my .22 have adjustable objective scopes."<<

The thread drifted a bit (as they tend to do) with some talking about aesthetics and questioning why someone would put a large magnification scope on a .22 lr. The .22 is an amazing little round that is capable of great accuracy in a rifle with a match chamber and with match ammo. With such a rifle, one may want to challenge themselves and find the true accuracy potential of the lowly .22 lr. If one is tempted to try to shoot at little targets or shoot for little groups with a .22, a scope with an AO and high magnification is very desirable, and for some situations, necessary. For more casual shooting, a 4X scope that is parallax-free at 50 yards will do very nicely. It all depends on what you want to do with your little .22. Sometimes a nice accurate .22 will start you on a journey to see just what you and that little cartridge are capable of doing together.

ps, Sitka deer, thanks for the kind words.

Last edited by cooper57m; 11/29/16. Reason: ps
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I agree on max power and AO or parallax adjustment. When one is doing fine shooting on tiny targets like young ground squirrels, parallax can be a significant issue. I see no reason to give them any advantage what so ever.

My experience with the inexpensive Tasco's is that point of impact shifts with any change in power. Leave the power ring alone, however, and they are fine for the task.

Last edited by 1minute; 11/29/16.

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've puked dozens of scopes upon 10/22's. That including S/S AMT's(threaded and slip-fits both) and a plethora of Rugers. Was standard fare for many moons,to peel the glass offa Used rifles and slap 'em aboard a 10/22,just to get a puke...which is easily arranged with lotsa SCHIT that is touted upon this thread. Funny schit and I mean fhuqking FUNNY!

Undestand of course,that I cain't speak to Safe Queens and their "requirements",but nobody knows Utility better than I. Nobody.

Have never shot much more than 4000rds through a single 10/22 on a single day,but admittedly I don't shoot as "much" as you gals,though I certainly shoot a whole fhuqk of a LOT more. Had one go over 17,000rds without ANY cleaning/maintenance,for R&D extrapolations,before it simply would not fire. Have more than a few of 'em with 50,000rds++ whistled through their receiver and in fairness,I've only puked (1) receiver(Ruger). If only for conversation. Hint.

Anywhoo,it is hilarious to hear these Safe Queen comments,in regards to rifles with cobwebs in 'em,as "vindication" for an approach with optics slated towards same.

If only for starters,nearly EVERY fhuqking scope thus far cited,is a steaming pile of fhuqking schit. At least you gals is consistent. Congratulations?!? Laughing!

GLARINGLY and less any "surprise",nearly noone has even the foggiest fhuqking notion of a first fhuqking clue. Do not let them facts,cloud your bubble packed delusions,as I sure as schit wouldn't wanna diminish ANY of that "thunder". Laughing!

Parallax is very obviously a bane,to anyone with a clue,which is devoid here. A scope's SOLE fhuqking function is to steer boolits and that fact reliably gets lost within the Fluff. You'll wanna read that again,now one more fhuqking time. Perhaps PM it to one another,to mull same further. Laughing!

A/O's puke reliably,well before side focus or rear focus parallax adjustments will. Hint.

Fixed glass is more robust than variable. Hint.

Etched reticals do not break/fail. Hint.

22LR ammo flight charcteristics,demand more erector travel than a centerfire's,at a given distance. Hint.

A GOOD 10/22,is very capable of reliably engaging at distances wayyyyyyyyy exceeding the cumulative Brain "Power's" attempts,thus far. Hint.

Ring spacing and surface area,is a scope's best defense,in order to reward one with trouble free longevity. Hint.

If only for starters.

Now to connect dots. 10/22 QC(Ruger) runs a rather large gamut,in regards to base fastener alignment and barrel alignment,amongst a host of others,but those are the key players that directly affect a scope's behavior and chances at excelling. Hint.

To circumvent same,inclination will ALWAYS do favors,as will centering windage in order to allow an erector to work it's Magic. Hint.

It is a breeze to comfortably nip any/all scenarios which could be presented,from muzzle burnin' distances,to multiple football fields away,which never don't not get Window Lickers tastin' panes. You just gotta have a means to adjust parallax and arrange POA/POI intersections,which THE most basic of principles,though nary a sole gets it. Funny schit!

Hardly "daunting" to pre-set a parallax adjustment in a sane zero,given the application and pursuits of interest. From there,it is a subtle shift to remove same(adjust parallax out) and thread needles,as per whim. Then it's simply a means of correlating POA/POI,with a ruggedly reliable mechanism of delivery. Unwavering mechanics and a reticle of repute,reliably default to inherent splendor. Read that again,now one more time. Hint.

I getta kick outta a Piece Of Steaming Fhuqking Schit Weaver V24 being "suggested" with a straight face. Now that is EPIC fhuqking humor! Depending upon the vintage,it may have as "much" as nearly 36MOA total in it's erector,unless newer and closer to 28MOA total with the "improvements". Schit don't get ANY fhuqking funnier than that! Though in fairness,zero wanders horribly ala zoom shift,the tracking is schit compared to a T-Series and due tube length they are tender like few others. Both the V's and the T's suffer from a schit A/O design,that is slower than JeffZero. Nice "try" though. Laughing!

Then there's "hydrophobic coatings" and Zee rings! Jeezus Fhuqk,the HITS never stop!!! Mebbe Ringmam will wax eloquent with pics on her LR 10/22 set up and quantify how she arranges POA/POI correlations,with a V16 and a "whopping" 40MOA of total travel. My fingers IS crossed in anticipation! Laughing!

Nebraska has done the most favors thus far,prolly 'cuz he shoots a smidge. The Bargain Bushie cited,has better than 100MOA of erector travel in it(mine yield 105MOA total and small change on average),you kinda/sorta get a subtension reticle,it has side focus and one could both Club Baby Seals with 'em for a Living and beat a herd of Weaver V-Series Variables to death with same,less sufferin' an ill affect. I tend to pin 'em to 6x and deal Death. In fairness,I've mebbe only 20,000rds through 'em in Rimfire(10/22's),but have run several of greater magnification through Centerfire paces(5000-ish rounds mainly in 223,223AI and Three Oh Not So Great) and they did veddy veddy suplizingly well there too. There's nothing else in the Universe,for like loot and I fhuqking HATE Bushnell,but fair is always fair. The 2-7x has more erector travel than the 3-9x version of same. Midway is offing 3200 10x Mil/Mil's for under 190 Clams,but they are better in Theory than they are in Application,given the impetus of the platform. 10x on a Rimfire requires parallax adjustment and 6X is a farrrrrr better Utilitarian melding upon a 10/22. Hint.

Now besides STUPID Fhuqkers extolling "virtues" that physically do not/can not exist,let's talk X's. It is a never not fascinating Dichotomy,that them you champion X's the most,are the ones that "shoot" the LEAST. Fabulously funny schit!

The reticle do more favors for Precision,along with POA/POI correlation,than X's do. Hint.

It is TRACT Level Hilarity,to espouse that a Dog Schit Weaver V24 is an "advantage" at ANY fhuqking distance,due the schit reticle,schit mechanics,schit zoom,schit zero retention,schit parallax adjustment mechanism and schit erector "travel". One would have to scrape the bottom of the barrel soooooooo hard,so as to summons up Ringmam for corroboration upon Safe Queen "pursuits". Laughing!

Couple same with hilarious ring spacing,upon a zero inclination install and it becomes EPIC...if only obliviously. I mean Savage99 fhuqking STUPID. Wow +P++!

For the jingle allotted,the Bushie 'braska cited steals the fhuqking show and NOT soooooooo "curiously" absolutely thrashes the Weaver Ruse as a Long Range Candidate to boot and I've a hunch,it'll prolly do just fine up close too. They reliably cling to zero far better than a Reupold VX2 ANYTHING and just "happen" to track as intended. I tend to pin 'em all to 6X and that constant quantifies the SFP reticle's subtension for Beaver Dope,allowing for hasty transitions in engagement distance,with the utmost Precision. Hint.

'Course it's easy for me to say,if only because I shoot it all. Hint.

[Linked Image]

Hell...I'd even go so far as to say I'd be rather at ease,in others TRYING to "discuss" Long Range Rimfire Pursuits. Mebbe they're better at it,than this paltry spittin' distance schit,thus far attempted and botched soooooooo horribly?!? Laughing!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Rimfires simply BEG for inclination and a 75MOA correction in mounting systems,is a very nice place to be on 54's in both 22LR and Hummer. That max latitude in ring spacing will reliably accompany same,only adds more inherent advantage(s) to the platform. A 1913 interface,has no equal.

[Linked Image]

A 10/22(Ruger) will reliably digest 80MOA of inclination with a 6x or 10x Fixed Fhuqker,with ease. The 'braska Bushie will eat 75MOA greedily on a (Ruger) 10/22 and yield a 50yd zero,less a fret. No thang to reap 80MOA of erector on the otherside of a 50yd zero,with said Bushie. That's the 450yd line in Today's atmosphere,with Camp Run Federal 40's at 1220fps,as the nomenclature on said rifle's bolt bolsters(I've seen me keep good notes on Lot velocitiy). Hint.

I'd mention that a Fixed Fhuqker's windshield grants more opportunity than the TOTAL travel of a V24's entire erector,but it'd sail over pointy heads and Google prolly couldn't handle the bandwidth. Let alone the fact that the entire system,will yield better than (6) V24's worth of trajectory correction capability. Better than a dozen of 'em,when mounted as "illustrated". Ooops! Laughing!! Perspective never ain't not intellesting.

Though in fairness...a guy prolly couldn't gun a 50yd pinhole with one of them. Not NEARLY enough X's and the subtension is likely "wrong" too. People crack me THE fhuqk up!!!

Live a little and nab a 6x MQ Fixed Fhuqker and connect every gawwdamned fhuqking dot there is,in one fell swoop and never look back. They've NO equal,nor close.

You've been led to water...thank me later.

Hint...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Which is why I always bring an accurate RF rifle to the range and use it to warm up before I shoot my CF rifles. No reason to break out the CF rifles if, for whatever reason, I'm having an off/bad shooting day.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1minute
I agree on max power and AO or parallax adjustment. When one is doing fine shooting on tiny targets like young ground squirrels, parallax can be a significant issue. I see no reason to give them any advantage what so ever.

My experience with the inexpensive Tasco's is that point of impact shifts with any change in power. Leave the power ring alone, however, and they are fine for the task.

This is what Bob at Bob's Accuracy Shop thought. I took him my new Tasco 4-16X so he put it in his scope testing device. He fiddled with it and adjusted it up to 15X. I asked why he didn't turn it up. He said all the cheap scopes blur out on the top magnification. I turned it up and asked him to look again. It was crystal clear. He ran the magnification adjustment and the crosshair didn't move. He twisted the adjustable objective and the crosshair didn't move.

Occasionally I have told people, "I will buy a Tasco and send it to you." After awhile if you still like it you can send me the money. Otherwise send me the scope. To me they are the best optic value for the average shooter.

Everyday Hunter
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Big Stick next time you are working in the meth lab, use your respirator with fresh cartridges and don't sample the goods (hint).

Here's another one of my "Safe Queens". With a POS Sightron 36X. It was good enough to get the job done however.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by cooper57m; 11/29/16.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 50 invisible), 2,620 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,503
Posts18,452,541
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.