Hop To
#11619798 11/29/16
R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Anyone have one? Like it? Hate it? Gimme.....

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I luv the quality of the 290. I do have a hard time shooting it without the extended mag which to me defeats the purpose of deep concealment.
Is it better that an Ruger LC9. Yes.
Is it better than a Beretta Nano. Maybe.
Is it better than a Shield. No. They are neck and neck.
Is it better than a Glock 43. No way.
I bought mine when CDNN had them for $300. I doubt if I would pay retail for one and the mags are $40 a pop.

But it is SIG. I purchased it for non-permissive environments and I could not be happier. Great little pistol.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thanks for the info.. They come with 2 mags, one 6-rd flush and one 8-rd ext.. Plus, they apparently come with a set of alternate grips to configure to different hands.. Also like the double-strike feature..

Seems like a lot of handgun for well under $400 (I'm not Jewish, but I CAN get 'em wholesale.. ) laugh laugh

I'm thinking of the 9mm version - not the .380.. A bit more oomph if ever needed..

I love the P938 but, at nearly $200 more, I can't really justify it..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
$400 !!! I have not seen one under $500 around Phoenix.

In a heartbeat for that giveaway price.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
After handling one I passed on it at a price of ~$300 a couple of years ago. The trigger angle really sucks, for me. I've heard others say the same.

I intended to have one. Reality set in...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B2

R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by johnw
After handling one I passed on it at a price of ~$300 a couple of years ago. The trigger angle really sucks, for me. I've heard others say the same..
Hmmm..

Thanks for that info - I'll see if I can find one around here that I can actually handle before I order it..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The trigger is the only complaint I have with mine, but I've shot worse and it is what it is. Other than that, I really like it. With the extended mag it's actually fun to shoot. Nice pistol for the money.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by CFVA
The trigger is the only complaint I have with mine, but I've shot worse and it is what it is. Other than that, I really like it. With the extended mag it's actually fun to shoot. Nice pistol for the money.
What exactly re: the trigger don't you like? Length of pull? Weight? Any? Most of the DAOs I've tried over the years are fairly similar to a few I have here now.

I Ordered one this morning.. I compared the trigger to the PM-9 Kahr I have and it's very similar.. For a pocket gun or back-up it should do the job ok..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have had mine for over a year now -I also have trouble pulling the trigger,
and when I do, I'm so far off target I have no idea which direction I missed.

Otherwise I really like the gun!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you find one make sure it is a P290RS NOT a P290. The RS is an improved version.

Originally Posted By: P_Weed

I never met a gun I didn't like.

SEdge,

I have an AMT Hardballer I can fix you up with.
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Lee

the 290s are damned reliable guns.

their triggers are a bit heavy if you're used to shooting striker fired or SA guns, but I didn't find it much different than a Da Sig 226

IMO. the ergonomics suck. but that's just for me, having big hands.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought one for carry, but only shot it once. I was pleasantly surprised. The double action is long, but smooth. For a small gun I had no problem controlling it. Now that the hunting season is slowing down, I plan on putting more rounds down it. I

R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by SEdge
If you find one make sure it is a P290RS NOT a P290. The RS is an improved version.
It's the RS..

Had a choice between all black and the black/SS.. I chose the latter. Same price.

Looking forward to it.

I have a NIB Kahr PM-9 that I've only opened the box to look at - never fired it or installed one of the (3) magazines.. I think the P290RS will be quite comparable in size..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
FWP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have had an 290RS for about 2 years. It is a accurate reliable gun. The only downside is the width and weigh which I wish was a little narrower and a little lighter.

The trigger is long and smooth. Just how a pocket pistol should be.

I have never had a failure of any kind and I usually take a few shots when I'm shooting other guns. Mine does get shot a lot.

R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
.9" is pretty narrow - although my Kahr P-380 is slimmer - .75".. However the narrower grip on the Kahr takes a bit of getting used to, even with medium-size hands..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by CFVA
What exactly re: the trigger don't you like? Length of pull? Weight? Any? Most of the DAOs I've tried over the years are fairly similar to a few I have here now.

I Ordered one this morning.. I compared the trigger to the PM-9 Kahr I have and it's very similar.. For a pocket gun or back-up it should do the job ok..

Mostly length of travel, seem excessive even for a DAO pistol. For some reason I have a harder time "stacking" the Sig than my S&W 642, if that's the right term. Not a big deal, but it's caught my attention a couple times.

You'll like it.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by johnw
After handling one I passed on it at a price of ~$300 a couple of years ago. The trigger angle really sucks, for me. I've heard others say the same.

I intended to have one. Reality set in...
Interesting.... I got the box Tuesday. Handled it/operated it manually Wednesday. Shipping it back today..

I was underwhelmed. I've got a Kahr PM-9 that I like tons better..

FWIW.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ruger's LCRs have the same trigger angle and reach. Sure they suit someone. Just not me...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
699 members (160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 72 invisible), 2,801 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,825
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.