Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I got a bunch through SPS, and I decided to load up some on a stout charge of H110 and see if I can perforate a whitetail doe this season.

Googling around the web, I found exactly zero first hand accounts of using this bullet on game.

I'm running the 210gr JHP over a hot charge of H110 in a 41 Mag, Smith 57-1 (6" barrel). Haven't been able to chrono it, but QuickLoad projects approx. 1350-1400fps MV.

I have it hitting just a smidge high (less than an inch) at 25 yards, should be about on the mark, maybe a smidge high yet, at 50, and I won't shoot further than that. Getting one inside 30 is my objective. Offhand, I can shoot it fairly well to 25. The range was too busy to do any 50 yard shooting (I got the wild hair to try this last minute before the season).

Anyone run any of these bullets into game? Either 41's or other calibers...just curious.

Consensus seems to be they should perform similar to Hornady XTP's, but haven't seen anything from someone who's actually taken game with them.

Thanks!

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I shot one of the 300gr .429s through a teenaged bull buffalo with my 444 Marlin. It was moving out at a smidge over 1800fps and worked fine. Complete pass through, no signs of blow up, ribcage shot, dead buffalo.

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
I wouldn't worry about it, load'em and hunt.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Oh they're loaded! I have 4 cylinders' worth, three speed loaders full, and 6 to load in the gun to carry.

I'm tagged out on bucks (PA here, only one buck tag per year and I used it with my bow), but I have a pocketful of doe tags.

When I'm not assisting my daughter in her hunting, I'll carry the 41 and see what comes of it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Post pics after the hunt wink

You will do fine with that load put thru vitals.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
If I get to take pics, I sure will!

I'm guiding my daughter when she's able to hunt (around her school schedule). I also have a buddy coming in to hunt as well, so I want to get him a deer if possible, so I'm spending most of my firearms season guiding, which is fine with me. I can carry the 41 if I need to do any tracking after one is hit, too.

I'll sneak in a hunt here and there and see what I can do. I may not get to punch a doe tag or two till our late flintlock season, though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't over think this. Whitey ain't that hard to kill.

Any semi-decent bullet will work, and that Nosler bullet you have is a good one.

Put one where it's supposed to be and she will die.

Black Cows Matter!
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I'm sure of that.

I've killed all of one deer with a revolver, but it was with a 4" Security Six in 357 shooting plain factory Remington-UMC rounds. One shot through the tops of her shoulders at 25 yards and she fell in a heap and didn't even kick.

I'm really just intrigued by the JHP's, moreso because there's little to nothing posted anywhere about people killing stuff with them. Lots on their target accuracy, not much on killing animals with them.

But...I'll do my best to contribute to that. wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used the 300 gr. version in my 44 mag for a couple of seasons. They always worked as advertised for me. The most dramatic was a big doe that I hit with a quartering shot in the left shoulder. The bullet broke the shoulder, traversed the chest and abdomen, and lodged under the skin of the offside hip. The recovered bullet was a picture perfect mushroom.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Nice! That's what I was looking for.

Recovering it after that much penetration is pretty cool.

Did you weigh it by any chance?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't remember weighing the bullet, but I do have it around here somewhere. The core and jacket were still locked together good and tight. There was some smearing of the lead at the very front of the mushroom where it encountered the shoulder bone, but it didn't look like there was any significant loss of lead.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have used the .429 300 grain version in a sabot and fired from a 50 caliber inline on several deer. Never found one in a deer but makes a nice big exit hole. Probably going 1700 fps.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I shot a whitetail doe about 12 or so years ago with the 240 gr .429 version and it worked great at about 75 yards from a Super Blackhawk. I didn't recover it-I went a bit wide right through the base of the neck and didn't hit any bone. She dropped and was done kicking by the time I got there. Exit wound was about half dollar size so I think I got some expansion.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by viking
I wouldn't worry about it, load'em and hunt.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

I have not shot any game with Nosler HP's, but was completely floored at the amount of penetration and weight retention I got in homemade media dicking around with my 40 S&W and 200 gr NHP's at a sedate 1050 fps one afternoon last summer.

Damn bullets a little badass.

Trump Won!
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Well, it's not lookin' good to run one into a deer this year.

I spent most of our firearms season hunting as a guide for a buddy and/or my daughter.

I had one chance where I had a doe out and could have shot her with my 45-70 Guide Gun, but decided to wait her out and see if I could get a crack with the revolver. I looked at her through the Smith's sights and decided I wanted her to come in to 40-45 yards. I had a rest for the gun, but the stock sights are coarse enough that any further and I just didn't feel comfortable taking the shot because I didn't feel good that I could place it precisely.

She stopped at about 50-55 yards and then worked her way back the way she came.

Season ends this Saturday, but I am working today/tomorrow, and Saturday is all about trying to get my daughter a shot, so not looking good for the 41 this year.

There's always next year....

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Season ended Saturday. I did take a doe, but did it with one of my rifles at 120-130 yards. Was down to the last few minutes and my wife informed me two more deer were needed (I had one to that point) for the year, so I pulled the trigger on the rifle.

Gonna give the 41 another go next season and see if I can't smash one of those JHP's into a whitetail.

Thanks all for the info.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
180's and 200's from a few Smith 629's.
Antlerless tags, out to 75 yards.
Broadside= Hole in, hole out. Works fine.
Max charges of WW296. Some flame cut of topstrap, stops after a while. No biggie.

Did pop a buck with a SRH past 100, using 200gr JHP........dunno if Nosler or XTP. In and out. Was past 100 yds though.

My eyes suck now, handgunning will be a 50 yards and in thing. Been thinking of a SRH (the one I used was my dad's).
That with a Burris Fastfire.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
With the standard sights, even at 41 with pretty good eyes yet, I don't feel good shooting at a deer much past 40 at most. I had a doe at 55-60 and had a rest for the gun, but I just didn't like the size of the sights against her shoulder. I wanted her to get a little closer, and she just didn't.

Always next year.

smile

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

385 members (1_deuce, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1lesfox, 163bc, 12344mag, 37 invisible), 2,087 guests, and 994 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,493
Posts18,452,353
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.