Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Since the the switch to analog we only get 2 channels and both are PBS.

Well, that sucks!

A couple of questions: What antenna are you using? How old is it? What kind of feedline are you using (coax or twinlead)? How long is it? Do you have an amplifier at the antenna?

Depending on your answers, I may be able to tell you how to get a lot better reception for extremely little effort.

Be not weary in well doing.
BP-B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I am a bit nervous about switching.

I assume that once we all switch from cable and satellite, those buggers will buy up all the "free" and low cost technology and they will be out to screw us again.

I have no idea what "net neutrality" means, but I bet we get screwed by it somehow with all these low cost tv options.

Last edited by Jim_Conrad; 11/30/16.

I am MAGA.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I am a bit nervous about switching.

I assume that once we all switch from cable and satellite, those buggers will buy up all the "free" and low cost technology and they will be out to screw us again.

I have no idea what "net neutrality" means, but I bet we get screwed by it somehow with all these low cost tv options.

Depends on how much you like the unique cable shows.
If your wife likes "Knitting with Erma" you are screwed.

If you can do without the bells and whistles of cable, go for it if your scan results (see above) warrant it.

Even if you want to go "middle of the road" by using Sling TV, Hulu or Netflx, one thing is for sure....
Your monthly bill will be much less.

I'm primitive with a CRT and converter box but I can get a good channel selection out of Portland.
I watch most of my sports on the computer.
And NO monthly bills.
I'm seeing more old-time TV antennas popping up everywhere.

With a new "smart TV" it would be even better.

Last edited by Direct_Drive; 11/30/16.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
rnr Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I scavenged and placed an old Direct TV dish directly behind my 'over the air' antenna and vastly improved my reception. I figured if the dish collected and concentrated satellite signals, it would do the same to regular TV signal.

It worked for me...

"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?

Sherlock Holmes
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps You can check out what is available, we have an RCA flat antenna under the eves and get good reception on channels 60 miles away on most days

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by denton
Digital TV actually gets along with lower signal levels than the old analog TV. That's because the data stream uses an error correcting code, and because the bandwidth of the signal is narrower.

There is no such thing as an HDTV antenna. Antennas cannot tell the difference between an analog signal and a digital signal.

As a quick and dirty test, hook a short piece of TV cable to your antenna jack, and 2-3 ft piece of wire to the coax center conductor, with the free end of the wire attached to the cable outer conductor to form a loop antenna. On the TV menu, choose the antenna as your input, and have the TV do a scan to see what it detects. If you can detect a few channels, that's very promising.

A good general purpose antenna for HDTV is one with two "bow ties", one above the other, and a reflector screen behind them (~$50). If your channel detection test didn't detect anything, you may want to go to a four bow tie antenna.

You will almost surely want an amplifier at the antenna. They are cheap, and they get their power via the coax. They are important because coax is fairly lossy at UHF, and without an amplifier, only a fraction of the signal will make it down the pipe to your TV.

We ditched cable. We enjoyed it, but not $105 per month worth. We're happy with free broadcast TV and Netflix and Amazon Prime.

This.... HDTV antenna is a marketing ploy nothing more..

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by Steelhead
0 stations, 0 channels

Same set up we've got here.

The only reason we have cable is for internet access, and I'd gladly get rid of cable if we had other internet options.

Not having TV is a good thing, can't wait to get or build an off the grid cabin.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
here in Gainesville, a simple GE brand indoor antenna brings in about a dozen 'channels'. Down in Miami in the condo, the same antenna system brings in almost 70. I think I paid about $25 each for the little antennas.

Sam......

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by rnr
I scavenged and placed an old Direct TV dish directly behind my 'over the air' antenna and vastly improved my reception. I figured if the dish collected and concentrated satellite signals, it would do the same to regular TV signal.

It worked for me...

Smart idea !

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
Originally Posted by denton
Digital TV actually gets along with lower signal levels than the old analog TV. That's because the data stream uses an error correcting code, and because the bandwidth of the signal is narrower.

There is no such thing as an HDTV antenna. Antennas cannot tell the difference between an analog signal and a digital signal.

As a quick and dirty test, hook a short piece of TV cable to your antenna jack, and 2-3 ft piece of wire to the coax center conductor, with the free end of the wire attached to the cable outer conductor to form a loop antenna. On the TV menu, choose the antenna as your input, and have the TV do a scan to see what it detects. If you can detect a few channels, that's very promising.

A good general purpose antenna for HDTV is one with two "bow ties", one above the other, and a reflector screen behind them (~$50). If your channel detection test didn't detect anything, you may want to go to a four bow tie antenna.

You will almost surely want an amplifier at the antenna. They are cheap, and they get their power via the coax. They are important because coax is fairly lossy at UHF, and without an amplifier, only a fraction of the signal will make it down the pipe to your TV.

We ditched cable. We enjoyed it, but not $105 per month worth. We're happy with free broadcast TV and Netflix and Amazon Prime.

This.... HDTV antenna is a marketing ploy nothing more..

They did the same years ago marketing 'special' color TV antennas, then digital, and now HD antennas.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I stopped watching broadcast TV about 10 years ago. Don't miss it at all. Whenever we stay in a hotel I am amazed at having 50 or so channels on which there is nothing worth watching. What little TV we do watch is over the internet, where we can get pretty much anything we actually want, without commercials, for less money than cable TV. And we need the internet anyway.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
My antenna came from Radio Shack about thirty years ago. it is on a pole outside about twenty feet off the ground. The arms spread out to about 24 inches and the whole thing is about 36 inches long.

I am approximately sixty miles from the broadcast towers near Boise. But I have a direct line of sight.

We can select from nearly fifty different channels since the switch to digital TV.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
705 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 222ND, 72 invisible), 2,787 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,825
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.