24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
Do you have any tips for getting one of these to shoot well? I've had the trigger worked on by Niel Jones (BIG improvement). My best load so far shoots 1 3/4 - 2 1/2 inch 4 shot groups at 100 yards with Hornady 200 grain SP, W 748 powder and Remington Magnum Large rifle primers. The groups usually have one flier that opens it up. Thanks in advance.

BP-B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Not Mule Deer but I had far better results with IMR 3031 in my BLR 358. 748 is just too bulky, I even had a 200 grain Hornady spire point pushed up out of a case due to powder compression using 748. My BLR, an older steel from rifle would almost make MOA using 3031 under either 250 grain Speer bullets or 200 grain Hornady spire points.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Also not Mule Deer, but loved his recommendation regarding TAC instead of IMR 4895, 47grs under 225gr Woodleighs or Sierras, or 45grs under 250gr Speers Spitzers or Hornady Interlocks. 1 1/2 groups for the most part w/ an old M8 3x Leupy. Regarding the trigger, if you go to the weight room alot, it makes it easier to crush and shoot OK. Forgot, the primers are CCI's 200s. My BLR is one of the newer aluminum ones.

Leave the Field Content
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
sambarhntr,

Are you shooting the 4 shots without any chance for the barrel too cool? I don't believe barrels ALWAYS need to be cooled between shots, because have run into too many that don't, including some lever-actions with 2-piece stocks and a band around the forend. But often 3 shots is about the limit for BLR's before allowing them to cool.

Do the group sizes you list include the "fliers"? If not, then the accuracy should be more than good enough for big game with the .358, which isn't exactly a long-range cartridge.

You might get better accuracy with some dinking with the forend bedding, or other powders and bullets. You might even get better results with magnum primers and 748.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My .358 BLR liked 3031 and Hornady Interlocks. Killed a bunch of deer and hogs with that rig. Did not cool the barrel between shots. It was the old steel model BLR with the magazine that hung out of the receiver. I remember getting that load from Ken Waaters' Pet Loads.

[Linked Image]

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
My BLR loved 250 Gr.Speers and 748.Groups were cloverleafs.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
sambarhntr,

Are you shooting the 4 shots without any chance for the barrel too cool? I don't believe barrels ALWAYS need to be cooled between shots, because have run into too many that don't, including some lever-actions with 2-piece stocks and a band around the forend. But often 3 shots is about the limit for BLR's before allowing them to cool.

Do the group sizes you list include the "fliers"? If not, then the accuracy should be more than good enough for big game with the .358, which isn't exactly a long-range cartridge.

You might get better accuracy with some dinking with the forend bedding, or other powders and bullets. You might even get better results with magnum primers and 748.

Thank you very much Mule deer. That bit of info that 3 shots is about the limit for BLRs is what I was looking for. I have not been letting the barrel cool between shots. I'd just load the magazine up and shoot. The group size I gave includes the fliers. I have tried other powders and bullets but the Hornady, 748, Rem Mag primer combo has been the most accurate. I have not tried the TAC powder yet. I may try it.

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
sambarhntr,

I do let the barrel cool between 4 shot groups.

S
OP Offline
S
Thank you Sakoluvr,
What primer are you using?

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sakoluvr,

do you have a record of your muzzle velocities?

I've been loading the 225 PT, and none of my groups have been stellar.

I have loaded 4064, 4985 and have since "settled" on TAC since it gave the best velocities, but groups werent great with any of those. I'm using Mule Deers load data and mag primers with the TAC.

shane

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Scope used was a Leupold 1.5-5x so maybe I could have tightened the group with more magnification.

Primer CCI 200LR

I think I was getting close to 2400 fps with the 200's. Not a barn burner, but plenty fast to get the job done with the Interlocks. It was a hunting load so I was looking for accuracy at a reasonable velocity.

I don't have the rifle anymore. I think 47.0 grains will about fill the case. My records show that I did not have any pressure signs at 46.0 grains. You should get a little over 2400 fps if you work up to that charge.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
124 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 15 invisible), 1,861 guests, and 899 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,672
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.