Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
It ought to be close I reckon. Probably some of the worst gun handling and unethical sportsmanship I've heard of in a long time.
Send links to stories................

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That "hunt" is one of the reasons I decided to teach hunter ed courses. At least the kids I reached in Central know better.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was going to go but decided not too... it's a goat [bleep] on the Denali hwy as it is this one should be good guess the troopers are going to be up their in force

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Take their choppers away and they are a lot less aggressive...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Could one school up us lower 48ers on this event please? Some sort of fish in a barrel shoot?

Last edited by 1minute; 12/01/16.

1Minute
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's just a road hunt for caribou by registration. Can be pretty crazy between the road hunters and the guys on 4wheelers off the road. Having witnessed it first hand a few times it's really just a meat haul when the bou are close to the road. Some people get all pissy about it like it's supposed to be some sort of actual hunting experience but it's really just a fairly easy way for residents to put a bou in the freezer.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The last few yrs state has put restrictions on it as well the Steese hwy itself was pretty much off limits and the first 60 miles of the Taylor was closed. But this yr state put no resrtictions on ithis hunt.. The bios are saying this herd is over it's carrying capacity, and the fall hunt was a bust so the quotas was never met ..

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 79S
The last few yrs state has put restrictions on it as well the Steese hwy itself was pretty much off limits and the first 60 miles of the Taylor was closed. But this yr state put no resrtictions on ithis hunt.. The bios are saying this herd is over it's carrying capacity, and the fall hunt was a bust so the quotas was never met ..

Translation: Free-for-all. Wear combat helmet, kevlar vest, blaze, stay low...

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by 79S

Stop being a Debbie downer like the boys over on AOD..

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Sorry.
wink

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 79S

or put walt in a caribou skin and let him stalk bou....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have a nice warm hat to let him wear, too!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
SAME HUNT ...we did this meat hunt for years..still do ...to bad folks go at it from all over as a spray and pray

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

I can't imagine wanting to get into that. I knew a fellow who took a 243 round to the thigh in the thick of a caribou hunting foray. He survived if barely, and probably knocked some years off his final outcome, as he left rather early as lifespans go these days.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I can imagine it gets a bit sporty in a crowd of Fudds and Bubbas.

No offense to Tarry!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I think, if I get the chance for that barrel shoot, I'd just as soon get up high somewhere and use my long range skills and plunk a couple as needed, from 500-1000 yards away and be somewhat away from the mess, but that might not even be possible.

I suspect I"ll have access to other ways to get them without all the 3 ring tent setups though. I hope.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rost495
I think, if I get the chance for that barrel shoot, I'd just as soon get up high somewhere and use my long range skills and plunk a couple as needed, from 500-1000 yards away and be somewhat away from the mess, but that might not even be possible.

I suspect I"ll have access to other ways to get them without all the 3 ring tent setups though. I hope.

That's exactly what I did when I did participate in this hunt. Take snow machines, get away from the road and get high. Longest shot to date for me on an animal. 426 yards(IIRC) ...257 Bee

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Sorry.
wink

laugh laugh laugh

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My buddy drove up and he said it was like a civil war reenactment. He pulled off the road along with everyone else. Caribou came over the hill he shot and 20 plus other guys shot caribou dropping. He saw his drop when he shot but one of the guys in another group ran out and claimed it as his own because the one he shot was wounded and took off. So he walks 1/2 mile sees a lone cow sees something hanging from its belly cow lays down then gets back up pulls his rifle up and it's the guts hanging out of the cow so he pops her to put her out of her misery. So while he's gutting it couple bullets go whizzing over head. He pulls his binos up glasses ridgelines and it's lined with hunters shootings caribou and hunters inside the skirmish line shooting at caribou lol he said it got pretty sporty. I'm surprised no one didn't get shot. He said the guys who brought sleds did pretty good as well. The troopers were up there and were not [bleep] around according to my buddy..

Last edited by 79S; 12/02/16.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
Originally Posted by rost495

That's exactly what I did when I did participate in this hunt. Take snow machines, get away from the road and get high. Longest shot to date for me on an animal. 426 yards(IIRC) ...257 Bee

[Linked Image]

Maybe I'm not so wet behind the ears if that plan has worked. LOL. 308 is all setup for whatever it requires. But would take a sled to pack it up the hill... LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, 8 invisible), 1,469 guests, and 701 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,676
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.