Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
been a while since I have been in the market but some goals are being met and extra funds are becoming available so What are some good choices on light weight short action hunting rifles? Use to own Kimber montana's and they are nice. Had a colt/nula hybrid which was OK, but long action. Always thought a NULA would be fun but on the other hand a OOB remingth sent to hill country rifles would be just as accurate but a fraction of the cost. Any other ideas on how to spend my $$?

BP-B6

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I chased lightweights for 40 years trying different stuff. If you really want a rifle at 6 lbs scoped Kimbers are a bargain for the money. I have one.

But I've concluded a finished weight including optics closer to 7 lbs is a better compromise. Pick a rifle of your liking, put it in an Edge stock with aluminum bottom metal and you're there.

I went that route with my Winchester EW in 308. It is 7 1/4 lb scoped and close enough. A Remington would likely come in a hair under 7 lbs.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The "best light weight rifle" is whatever you have in your hands when the best opportunity on the animal of a lifetime presents itself.

Aside from that, a Kimber 84M MT with Lilja's Modified 84M barrel contour (.617" @ 22") chambered to the cartridge of your choice would be my top pick.

That's about as good as it gets IMO. You'll be dollars ahead of about anything else, and have an essentially "perfect" lightweight.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by lubbockdave
been a while since I have been in the market but some goals are being met and extra funds are becoming available so What are some good choices on light weight short action hunting rifles? Use to own Kimber montana's and they are nice. Had a colt/nula hybrid which was OK, but long action. Always thought a NULA would be fun but on the other hand a OOB remingth sent to hill country rifles would be just as accurate but a fraction of the cost. Any other ideas on how to spend my $$?

I have only owned the Montana and I'm more than happy with it.

But if I was going to spend big bucks I'd look at Rifle Inc. They seem to know how to put one together.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Tikka T-3

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Weatherby MK V ULW 5 3/4 LBS for my 30-06

Molan Labe
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I second the Weatherby

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Kimber Montana 84M.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JMR40
I chased lightweights for 40 years trying different stuff. If you really want a rifle at 6 lbs scoped Kimbers are a bargain for the money. I have one.

But I've concluded a finished weight including optics closer to 7 lbs is a better compromise. Pick a rifle of your liking, put it in an Edge stock with aluminum bottom metal and you're there.

I went that route with my Winchester EW in 308. It is 7 1/4 lb scoped and close enough. A Remington would likely come in a hair under 7 lbs.

Agreed

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
lubbockdave,

To me, no matter what the weight, a rifle needs to function flawlessly when working the bolt from the shoulder after dry firing. Recently I went to Sportsman a couple times and tried several rifles. The only one that was smooth as silk both times was the Tikka T3. Next was the Sako and Browings. But they are all heavier than the Weatherby. The Weatherby Mark V six lug has a medium length action; a la .30-06. If I didn't have the Mark V I would buy a Tikka.

I used a Kimber .308 this year. After firing at a deer I jacked another cartridge in, only to have it jam. By the time I got the jam cleared and another in the chamber the deer dropped. Still, that is not acceptable. I won't be using that rifle again.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
You know you could try to fix the feeding problem, right?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
My Kimber Montana 7-08 has not had any feeding problems. I've killed 5 deer with it, 3 of which had follow up shots.

I killed 2 at one time and fired 5 rounds. I had only loaded 4 rounds and reloaded in the middle with 2 shot deer trying to get away.Even under that stress,I had no malfunctions.

I have heard of Kimbers having feeding issues but I've heard that about nearly every rifle out there.I don't think it is such an issue as to prevent the purchase if you are interested in one.

I am not a terrible shot. Sometimes I hunt in such a way as to shoot jumped or driven deer at very close ranges. It's a little different from sniping one while laying across a pack.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 12/01/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lightweight rifles are a pretty personal thing & choice & then the question always is, how light is light enough for me.

If I were buying a new rifle today, w/o a doubt, it would be a Kimber.

But I have 4 other rifles that all meet the (my) criteria close enough that I don't need another one.

The lightest that I have is an original Rem 700 Ti in 7-08, that, after some bedding work, is a legitimate <1" rifle & it weighs right at 6.5 lb, scoped.

The other 3 are all long actions; an older Rem 700 MR that has been re-stocked & cerrokoted in 280 Rem & it weighs exactly 7 lb, scoped; a Rem Custom Shop 700 KS & a win M-70 FWT that is bone stock.

The M-70 is the heaviest of the lot, & with a Leupold 2x7 scope. it's close to 7.5 lb.

I like light, but really all but the M-70 are light enough, at least for me, & even then, the M-70 is really light enough for practical use.

MM

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by AMRA
Weatherby MK V ULW 5 3/4 LBS for my 30-06

I had one of these for years. I loved the ergonomics but I could never get it to shoot well. Well enough, sure, for 100 yard shots on elk in the Oregon Cascade Range, but when I started hunting on the Eastern side of the state my shot selection stretched dramatically. The Weatherby went down the road and I bought a Tikka. I wish I had done it sooner.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
What I've noticed with the ULW's is a tendency to shoot much better with smaller holes inside the barrel. I had a .240 for a while that was VERY accurate, but a buddy had a .338-06 that I don't believe ever shot a group under 2".

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I had the dough and the time, I'd spring for a NULA. A Montana is more in line with my pockey-book.

For Eastern whitetails, where a shorter barrel would be okay (in my opinion), a Howa Alpine is an excellent choice when equipped with the regular floorplate.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A Tikka T3 Super Lite is damn hard to beat when you look at weight/accuracy/price.

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Always thought a NULA would be fun but on the other hand a OOB remingth sent to hill country rifles would be just as accurate but a fraction of the cost. Any other ideas on how to spend my $$?

I have versions of both (ULA and a Hill Country built on a titanium action). The choice largely depends on preference in feel. The ULA is much more svelte in my hands, even though both are similar in finished weight. Accuracy is largely a moot point between the two. My Ti isn't built on a Remington action, for what that's worth. I have a pile of Remington Ti's that I also really like. The custom rifles are not any more capable in the field than the factory Ti's, but that's not really the point. If it were me, I'd go NULA and never look back. You're already leaning in that direction and I highly doubt you'll be disappointed in one of Melvin's rifles. They also hold value a lot better, if that matters.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 8SNAKE
Always thought a NULA would be fun but on the other hand a OOB remingth sent to hill country rifles would be just as accurate but a fraction of the cost. Any other ideas on how to spend my $$?

I have versions of both (ULA and a Hill Country built on a titanium action). The choice largely depends on preference in feel. The ULA is much more svelte in my hands, even though both are similar in finished weight. Accuracy is largely a moot point between the two. My Ti isn't built on a Remington action, for what that's worth. I have a pile of Remington Ti's that I also really like. The custom rifles are not any more capable in the field than the factory Ti's, but that's not really the point. If it were me, I'd go NULA and never look back. You're already leaning in that direction and I highly doubt you'll be disappointed in one of Melvin's rifles. They also hold value a lot better, if that matters.

How much does a NULA cost and how much does the Tikka T3 cost? I know the Tikka comes in under $700. If you loose 1/4 value you loose a couple hundred. If you enjoyed the rifle you don't loose anything. Chalk it up to rent. If you loose a 1/4 on the NULA, how much is that?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ringman
How much does a NULA cost and how much does the Tikka T3 cost? I know the Tikka comes in under $700. If you loose 1/4 value you loose a couple hundred. If you enjoyed the rifle you don't loose anything. Chalk it up to rent. If you loose a 1/4 on the NULA, how much is that?

If you're approaching this from a cost standpoint, the NULA and a host of others will lose. I didn't get the impression that was the OP's decision criteria, but perhaps I was off base.

Last edited by 8SNAKE; 12/01/16.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
719 members (16penny, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1234, 10gaugemag, 160user, 63 invisible), 3,154 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,745
Posts18,401,279
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.