-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm still stuck on the 'gets you laid' part of the question. Tell me again how that all works in millimeters? grin

GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Have both--still prefer a 30 caliber for game killing.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Ulvejaeger
Never ceases to amaze......
all the love for a cartridge loaded to 60,000psi to accomplish what has been done by another cartridge at 51,000psi for over 100 yrs.???

Things are tough for the Swede..Too long for a short, too short for a long. meaning unless you have a thing for it may as well go 6.5'06( i kinda do have a thing for the swede tho, i have 3 of them smile

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
4winds

I've had extensive use/experience with 7 RM>>270 W. I know what I can do with them and how easy it is to do it.

I got my Swede -M 70 - and I spent a YEAR in research, testing, chronoing, etc. JUST to get a 120 gr NBT close to 3000 fps. ok, not bad for a small capacity cartridge.

I'd take 270/280/7RM anyday and TWICE on Sunday over another Swede.

I'll NEVER have another. The others will do MORE with LESS hassle.

I'm not much on 'settling'.

This is my PREFERENCE from my experience. Obviously the mileage of others varies. You only have to please yourself.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 12/01/16.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
4winds Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by LNF150
I'm still stuck on the 'gets you laid' part of the question. Tell me again how that all works in millimeters? grin

LMAO. Enough mm to get the job done, which I have plenty of...at least thats what I tell myself!

Originally Posted by 458 Lott
What size game are you hunting?

About anything that I can get a chance to. It's the money permitting part that always throws a wrench in, though!

Originally Posted by jwall
4winds

I've had extensive use/experience with 7 RM>>270 W. I know what I can do with them and how easy it is to do it.

I got my Swede -M 70 - and I spent a YEAR in research, testing, chronoing, etc. JUST to get a 120 gr NBT close to 3000 fps. ok, not bad for a small capacity cartridge.

I'd take 270/280/7RM anyday and TWICE on Sunday over another Swede.

I'll NEVER have another. The others will do MORE with LESS hassle.

I'm not much on 'settling'.

None of this helps my addiction to rifle loonyism.

Originally Posted by jwall
You only have to please yourself.

Jerry

Wiser word have never been spoken, especially helps with an occasionally pissed off wife!

IC B2

4winds Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The only real conflict for setting up my Mauser has been deciding between a 280 and a 270. I've been contemplating the Swede for the same but that may require some modding for the bolt due to the thicker rim, but I may be wrong on that one. When it comes to practicality, the 270 seems to be way ahead of the other 2. I always seem to start thinking about bullet selection and talk myself out of that idea with the notion that the 7mm is lightyears better with heavier pills in the wind.

As far as the Kimber 84M, I thought the 6.5 Creedmoor would be a great cartridge due to the magazine constraints with the Montana, as I prefer heavy for caliber bullets. Plus it is a pussycat with recoil, which (IMHO) really helps with such a light platform. I'm sure the 6.5 can kill everything imaginable with correct bullet placement, but I enjoy the extra confidence in a larger caliber for ELK+ critters. So, this would basically be set for killing blackies to yotes and will be used quite a bit in comparison to my other rifles. I'm not averse to using a 6mm Creedmoor, and have thought about it as an option as well.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
4winds,

Normally Mausers don't have any trouble handling the 6.5x55 rim, and in the rare instances they do it's an easy and inexpensive fix. So don't let that hold you back!

On the other hand, there's certainly nothing wrong with the .270. But you may not want to listen to me anyway, since I not only have both a 6.5x55 custom rifle on a commercial FN 98 action, but an O'Connor Commemorative Model 70 .270. Plus another 6.5x55 (a Norwegian Krag), 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5x54 Mannlicher-Schoenauer, .260 Remington, 26 Nosler, and a drilling with a 6.5x57R rifle barrel. Oh, and a 7mm-08, 7x57, .280 AI and 7mm Remington Magnum. So I obviously haven't made my mind up either!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
4winds,

Normally Mausers don't have any trouble handling the 6.5x55 rim, and in the rare instances they do it's an easy and inexpensive fix. So don't let that hold you back!

On the other hand, there's certainly nothing wrong with the .270. But you may not want to listen to me anyway, since I not only have both a 6.5x55 custom rifle on a commercial FN 98 action, but an O'Connor Commemorative Model 70 .270. Plus another 6.5x55 (a Norwegian Krag), 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5x54 Mannlicher-Schoenauer, .260 Remington, 26 Nosler, and a drilling with a 6.5x57R rifle barrel. Oh, and a 7mm-08, 7x57, .280 AI and 7mm Remington Magnum. So I obviously haven't made my mind up either!

obviously you are short a 280...

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Been there, done that, several times, in fact hunted a lot with the .280 in the 1990's. Even owned (and hunted) with another .280 AI, but this one is "different." :-)

Also .284 Winchester, 7mm SAUM, 7mm STW, two other 7-08's, several other 7mm Remington Magnums, and at least a dozen other 7x57's. It ain't rational, but sometimes it is kinda fun!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It ain't rational, but sometimes it is kinda fun!

That's what it's all about!

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'm continuously amused by the wind issues associated with the 270. crazy

Most of the people out there shooting BG animals have no business making a wind call at distance on a live animal. They have no experience.They should pass no matter what they shoot if the wind is full value and they are not certain.

And if the cartridge and its bullets were so bad in the BG fields it would not have continued to kill so many animals year in and year out.

Whenever I hear someone trash the 270 as a BG cartridge I figure his experience is pretty thin and they are repeating what some other internet "expert" stated.

Personally I never saw 2 cents of difference between a 280 and a 270.

Here's couple of those lousy 277 bullets from a 360 class bull elk..... wink

[Linked Image]

Last edited by BobinNH; 12/02/16.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Bob,

Obviously it takes two .270 bullets to do the work other cartridges do with one!

(Don't get upset, now. The last bull I killed got shot with two 160-grain Partitions from a 7mm magnum. The first was plenty but the elk was still upright, and I usually don't quit shooting until they're lying down peacefully....)

John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For some reason, I have the idea of a 275 H&H stuck in my head. Not really practical, but it sounds fun.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
elkchsr, was checking some of the threads, the list of older rifles you use is quite impressive.. Enjoyed it.

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
John,

If you ever decide to act on that notion, I have a few boxes of old but never-fired Western .275 H&H brass in good shape. Bought 'em off the Campfire a couple-three years ago, just because of the possibility of finding a .275 H&H someday. So far I haven't, but they're here.

One nice thing about the .275 is, unlike some other British .28 calibers, it uses .284" bullets rather than .288's.

John Steinbeck
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Most of the people out there shooting BG animals have no business making a wind call at distance on a live animal. They have no experience.They should pass no matter what they shoot if the wind is full value and they are not certain.

And if the cartridge and its bullets were so bad in the BG fields it would not have continued to kill so many animals year in and year out.

Whenever I hear someone trash the 270 as a BG cartridge I figure his experience is pretty thin and they are repeating what some other internet "expert" stated.

[Linked Image]

Obvisously ,beings you were shooting a .277 caliber rifle, the bull trotted up to you and dropped the expended bullets in your hand and trotted off. He may have told you to be more careful also or you could hurt some one!!!!!! laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We had a neighbor (back in the 50's) that couldn't stand recoil. He used to shoot (poach) deer multiple times with his 22. He would probably think even the 270 had too much recoil.

So don't feel bad about that 270 and your elk. grin

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Bob,

Obviously it takes two .270 bullets to do the work other cartridges do with one!

(Don't get upset, now. The last bull I killed got shot with two 160-grain Partitions from a 7mm magnum. The first was plenty but the elk was still upright, and I usually don't quit shooting until they're lying down peacefully....)

John that's the whole point.....shoot as long as they are standing. That will happen with elk no matter what you shoot them with. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
4winds Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Bob,

LOL

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobinNH

[Linked Image]

You should've used something with more energy, Bob! grin

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

109 members (Akpilot, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 15 invisible), 1,629 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,513
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.