-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Am I correct that there's not an MOA version of this one yet...?

At those Black Friday prices it's a steal!

Super glue sets so fast... how about a tiny dab of 5-minute epoxy?

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Canazes9

It's pretty complicated!

1) Dig around in your junk drawer till you find the right sized allen for the turrett.

2) Turn allen set screw lefty loosey to remove.

3) Remove set screw.

4) Grasp turrett firmly, pull straight up (turrett is splined, don't twist), remove turrett.

5) Glob some glue on top of the band, if you feel industrrious use a toothpick to poke a little into the tiny little gap between band and turrett. As you can tell, it's uber important to be only use the exact amount needed....

6) Glob more glue around the band in different spots till you feel like it's probably gonna hold.

7) Wait for the glue to dry.

8) Touch your finger to the glue, if your finger isn't stuck to the turrett the glue is dry.

9) Line up the mark on the turrett top to the center mark on the band and push the turrett straight down.

10) Insert set screw, turn rightey tightey...

Done.

David

David, In addition to describing this process you have also provided the proper way to explain "how to" things on this forum. I was first giggling to myself. I then began to think, newbies need this type of explanation process for reloading/bedding/scope mounting/etc./etc. Absolutely perfect method of explanation.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Guys I'll admit I didnt read all his [bleep]. I was asking a serious question but after a few sentences realized he was going to be a chit head. I have so much to learn I can't screw with reading his chit.

I did see where he said ALL his scopes are used at lower setting so why the hell doesn't he just use a low power scope. He's the only damn person on here who doesn't like any scopes made.

Dare I ask what firearm he finds sufficient ?
For even more humor, ask him how many big game tags he's filled in the past decade in those deserts and mountains. I bet my fat ass, living where folks don't have his "wide open spaces", has punched more tags west of the Mississippi River than he has in that same time frame. Yet he likes to pontificate as if he's an authority...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
What advantage does this 3-9 offer over the Fixed 6X...besides the higher power?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
The reticle is the same subtensions as the 6x, but at 9x, it is much more visible than the 6x because the apparent size of the reticle increases with magnification.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hondo thanks.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I don't have anything to add to Hondo except I like the smaller and shorter turrets better myself. I ride horses a lot and those shorter turrets will be a little better for that.

Can y'all take a guess why the 10x HD is higher priced than the 3-9?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by atse
please disregard the village idiot,especially the whole last paragraph that he wrote. If you hold for wind a ffp works on any power, unlike a sfp scope. [/quote]

umm ok someone asked a question I gave them an answer now I am the village idiot? sorry your having a bad day. I would simply say if your using wind hold offs on a 3-15x scope your going to be at MAX power anyways. especially so with the 3x9. the videos below show the very real downsides of FFP. I said where they can work and I said where they don't and why. instead of calling someone a village idiot why not learn something. again my scopes sit on lowest power and only are increased when needed.

fast forward to the 5 minute mark. I would also add I looked at this scope at a trade show (because I really really wish I could like it!) I held the scope up to a brown curtain in the trade show and the reticle washed out on the curtain in a freaking trade show!!

ok here is a video of the 3x9 SS talked about in this thread, fast forward to around the 2 minute mark

look your choice in optic is yours!!! my opinions are mine based on my experience. I don't shoot at a range all that much as such its either hunting or wack that rock on the side of the hill. if I am needing to be precises enough to make a wind hold that is an important one ie shot on an animal. I am going to do it on max power. keeping in mind my scopes that are NOT for load development top out at 14-16x

I think JRraider said he is buying one of these scopes, JG if your reading give us a report, I at least know he isn't such an optics snob to say something sucks even though he may have spent alot of money on it.

that is the problem people spend alot of money on something and they think they have to defend it till the cows come home. I am very much not that way. I am not a fanboy unless it really works.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
The reticle is the same subtensions as the 6x, but at 9x, it is much more visible than the 6x because the apparent size of the reticle increases with magnification.

John

I would add that the 3-9x42 has more compact turretts, the turretts are firmer and less likely to get bumped. The scope is slightly more compact than the 6x. The glass is a little better.

David

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
You're right some people defend their purchases. Tell me why in the hell do you think people keep buying the same stuff if they don't really like it?

It seems odd you mention making decesions on your expierence yet keep posting videos of others. I'm just a young fella from back east but even I will try something for myself. Don't be afraid to try something new you just might like it....lol

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As a reminder. The reticles in SFP scopes aren't just "intelligent" at full power. At half power they are as well. On my big NF, that's 11x. So if I'm having mirage or low-light issues I can turn it to 11x and now my 2 MOA hashes (MOAR reticle) are 4 MOA. Still easy. I've yet to see a mirage problem that doesn't clear up at 11x.

Further, it gets mentioned that a FFP scope's reticle can function as a ruler. So can a SFP scope, on full power or 1/2 power. So a guy could, for instance, use the scope on full power to measure out what say a 3 MOA wind hold looks like relative to the target. Then put it on ANY power setting and just hold to that POA.

In these discussions guys tend to default to absolutes, a fault of the Internet in general I suppose, but in reality a SFP scope can do the things a FFP scope can. Might just be a bit slower, or take a skootch more thought, which granted aren't positives. But it's all perfectly doable.

Just sayin'.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by BobinNH
What advantage does this 3-9 offer over the Fixed 6X...besides the higher power?

Lower power, for more field of view. Plus it is more compact.

I like John's explanation too. I just got a 3-9 in and have been comparing it to the 6x. The 6x reticle is kick ass but gotta say the 3-9's is really super duper kick ass!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Just a reminder, SFP sucks balls. LOL

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
As a reminder. The reticles in SFP scopes aren't just "intelligent" at full power. At half power they are as well. On my big NF, that's 11x. So if I'm having mirage or low-light issues I can turn it to 11x and now my 2 MOA hashes (MOAR reticle) are 4 MOA. Still easy. I've yet to see a mirage problem that doesn't clear up at 11x.

Further, it gets mentioned that a FFP scope's reticle can function as a ruler. So can a SFP scope, on full power or 1/2 power. So a guy could, for instance, use the scope on full power to measure out what say a 3 MOA wind hold looks like relative to the target. Then put it on ANY power setting and just hold to that POA.

In these discussions guys tend to default to absolutes, a fault of the Internet in general I suppose, but in reality a SFP scope can do the things a FFP scope can. Might just be a bit slower, or take a skootch more thought, which granted aren't positives. But it's all perfectly doable.

Just sayin'.

I can buy that. But if time matters, I personally like to stack the odds in front of me. I would hate to have to jump through all of those hoops looking at a trophy of a lifetime hoping it doesn't move/run.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Originally Posted by atse
please disregard the village idiot,especially the whole last paragraph that he wrote. If you hold for wind a ffp works on any power, unlike a sfp scope.

umm ok someone asked a question I gave them an answer now I am the village idiot? sorry your having a bad day. I would simply say if your using wind hold offs on a 3-15x scope your going to be at MAX power anyways. especially so with the 3x9. the videos below show the very real downsides of FFP. I said where they can work and I said where they don't and why. instead of calling someone a village idiot why not learn something. again my scopes sit on lowest power and only are increased when needed.

fast forward to the 5 minute mark. I would also add I looked at this scope at a trade show (because I really really wish I could like it!) I held the scope up to a brown curtain in the trade show and the reticle washed out on the curtain in a freaking trade show!!

ok here is a video of the 3x9 SS talked about in this thread, fast forward to around the 2 minute mark

look your choice in optic is yours!!! my opinions are mine based on my experience. I don't shoot at a range all that much as such its either hunting or wack that rock on the side of the hill. if I am needing to be precises enough to make a wind hold that is an important one ie shot on an animal. I am going to do it on max power. keeping in mind my scopes that are NOT for load development top out at 14-16x

I think JRraider said he is buying one of these scopes, JG if your reading give us a report, I at least know he isn't such an optics snob to say something sucks even though he may have spent alot of money on it.

that is the problem people spend alot of money on something and they think they have to defend it till the cows come home. I am very much not that way. I am not a fanboy unless it really works.

[/quote]

I too like a reticle I can see on low power. That's why I asked you if you had actually tried the 3X9 SWFA SS. I ordered one because several people told me it is perfectly fine in low light.

What I saw from the video was the thicker outer portions of the reticle being very visible on low power and very possibly being close enough to the center to use them to bracket an animal at close range. If that's the case it's perfectly usable for me since I will zoom if shooting long range.

Also taking into account that the reviewer said twice the reticle looks better in person,and so many positive reviews by actual hunters,I decided to reserve judgement against the reticle until I actually have a chance to use it.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 12/01/16.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tarheelpwr
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

Just sayin'.

I can buy that. But if time matters, I personally like to stack the odds in front of me. I would hate to have to jump through all of those hoops looking at a trophy of a lifetime hoping it doesn't move/run.

Thanks for the reasonable reply. smile

It's not a lot of hoops, and at least for this lunk, a LR shot on game (where this stuff would even matter) isn't a rushed affair anyway. There's a bunch of stuff to do in terms of getting in a solid position and it's not difficult to multitask a bit and, say, determine that your wind hold is "1/3,l of a deer body" as you are getting set. Once you know that, it doesn't matter where your power ring is set.

Also, it's not hard to project an approximate idea of say "one MOA" onto say a deer. Pretend it's at 602 yards (my longest kill). An MOA is ~ 6" and 2 MOA is 12". I know what a dinner plate looks like on a deer body. Know what I mean? That's not hard... And finally wind calls are such a judgement thing anyway. In competition, sure, as you move through the course of fire you might determine that to keep it in the X ring your call is 2.3 MOA or whatever it is. In HUNTING, you look at the vegetation, mirage, ideally any condensate (clouds) that are relevant, try to combine everything you are seeing into a number... a wind about 8-10 mph coming from over my right shoulder, with terrain features that might induce a bit of an updraft, but the grass moving where the DEER is shows some gusty stuff from the LEFT! So what's the call there, and how does a FFP scope really matter? You gotta make the call for your one shot, you gotta get really set positionally, and in the case of SFP you need to crank it up all the way, or halfway, and get a read on what your call looks like in terms of POA.

All that takes some time anyway and personally I have not found SFP to be much, if any, of a handicap.

I'm not dissing FFP. All I'm doing is mildly and hopefully politely contesting the notion that SFP is a big handicap in real life big game hunting situations.

The only 2 FFP scopes I've played with, the reticles were useless at minimum power. However, I'm prepared to believe my friends that the 3-9 SS and 3-12 LRHS have solved that.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
It can def be done, no doubt. If it works for you, go for it. I just prefer simple. If you can avoid the e yea step, as easy as it is, I'll eliminate it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Lower power, for more field of view. Plus it is more compact.

I like John's explanation too. I just got a 3-9 in and have been comparing it to the 6x. The 6x reticle is kick ass but gotta say the 3-9's is really super duper kick ass!

Huh....I didn't know that it was more compact. Interesting.

The reticle is not the same as the 6X MQ, correct?

With a Creedmoor how far can you shoot on the reticle?

Sorry for dumb questions but these scopes have a learning curve. smile

I may sell my NF and get one of these for my Creedmoor.

Last edited by BobinNH; 12/01/16.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Bob,

The reticle on the 6x MQ and 3-9 MQ are exactly the same, the only difference being that when the 3-9 is turned up to 9x, it looks 1.5 times bigger than it does in the 6x. The subtensions are the same. Have a look here:

http://www.opticstalk.com/swfa-ss-reticle-subtensions_topic32312.html

John

Last edited by Hondo64d; 12/01/16. Reason: Link

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
RH Clark,You are not the village idiot I was referring to. Cummins cowboy is. He is forever talking about the poor qualities of a ffp scope for hunting. He is a dim wit. Sorry for the mix up. As to one of your points about always being on max power for wind hold, I disagree. I have the 3x15 and most of my "long range" shooting is from 500 to 600yds. I rarely go over 10x, even on coyotes. I use my wind holds a lot though. Again, sorry for the mix up.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (1OntarioJim, 2500HD, 1234, 11point, 160user, 10ring1, 69 invisible), 3,025 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,336
Posts18,468,682
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.