Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Bater Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
For those that have one or both, what (besides windstopper) does the Jetstream get me over the Traverse for the added expense? Also are they comparable as far as warmth/water resistance goes?

Thanks in advance,

Brett

100% Public land DIY!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Curious about this too.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I have the Jetstream jacket. I bought it late last season wearing it briefly during a snow storm chasing elk, and wore it extensively this season chasing deer and elk. It has become my goto jacket because it is warm, comfortable, sheds light snow, blocks the wind and vents nicely with the pit-vents. I do a lot of walking when I hunt so being able to vent is important to me.

I have not compared it directly to the Traverse but a quick comparison on the Sitka website reveals the following:

- Jetstream has 2 full chest pockets vice one for the Traverse;
- Jetstream has pit-vents, Traverse does not;
- Jetstream is lighter by about 2oz;
- Traverse has the built in facemask.

Probably can't go wrong with either.

We have enough youth, how about a fountain of SMART???
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I have the jetstream. The pit zips are good, an essential feature for me. I could take or leave the windstopper. If its windy one could throw on a lightweight rain shell and be just as well off.

Warmth: its a thin fleece basically. Size accordingly to fit a down sweater (most bang for buck) under it. I have a thin synthetic down patagonia pullover sweater that I wear under it and that combo is very versatile combined with a rainshell.

Water Repellancy: It will shed light water very well when its new. Put some miles and some washes on it and it wont, unless you use some nikwax softshell wash. Bottom line, its not a rainshell but will get you by in a pinch.

Value: Not that great. Its a heck of a lot of money. Sitka is out of their minds with their pricing, which is why Kuiu is killing them in the market. Speaking of which, the Kuiu guide DCS jacket is comparable for much less money. Haven't looked at some of the other brands, Im sure there are some other out there that would also be a strong value.

Edit: I dont have any experience with the other jacket you mention. So I didnt really answer you question, just spouted off some random thoughts.

Last edited by wildcat33; 12/01/16.
Bater Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I appreciate the feedback, keep it coming.

100% Public land DIY!
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have the Kuiu DCS Guide jacket. I like it for mountain hunting but haven't tried it yet in any sort of rain. Misty and sprinkles it sheds water, a real rain I don't know. I bought it because of the Sitka pricing. I've had both the Jetstream and Guide jacket in my band at the same time. I liked the Guide Jacket better - and saved money. Plus I bought both the Guide jacket and pants during one of their sales. No brainer.

Last edited by bwinters; 12/02/16.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Kuiu Guide jacket is not as wind proof as the Jetstream. Both great jackets IMO

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Bater Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Good feedback on the jetstream, anybody have experience with the traverse cold-weather hoodie?

100% Public land DIY!
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I should add that despite the drug induced pricing schedule, Sitka has great customer service. I had a jetstream jacket that was worn on a few hunts then hung in my closet for a year because the fit was wacky.

I left a review of the jacket on sitka's website, which was fair but negative leaning. One complaint is that the jackets are not sized for layering. Roomy in the chest but tight in the sleeves. They contacted me immediately and offered to replace it for a larger size. They paid for shipping both ways and I had a new jacket back to me in about a month. I thought that was pretty cool. They didn't have to do that.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Very true about the sleeves.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Otter6
Very true about the sleeves.

The Kuiu Guide jacket is really tight in the sleeves. More so than Sitka.

I usually layer a Patagonia Nano Puff under it. Works well.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Bater Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well when in doubt buy them both....turns out the Traverse CW Hoodie is a great insulating layer under then Jetstream Jacket. Thanks for the replies.

Brett

100% Public land DIY!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Have not used either but my experience with windstopper is mixed. This was first generation gear from a couple of makers so may be better now. Wind stopper is warm some times too warm definitely want the pit zips. For me a separate rain/wind shell is more versatile. Windstopper can add noise not really too bad but unacceptable for stalking and bow hunting it gets worse the colder it gets. Wind stopper seems like GoreTex in that the colder it gets the less it breathes so again venting or separate shell is best. Like goretex if you will be doing anything strenuous you will sweat.

This has only happened to me with goretex as I have not worn the wind stopper in extreme cold but in single digit temps and lower it is possible for ice to form on the inside of any membrane. This was while cross country skiing at minus 52 so pretty darn extreme temp and exercise level.

See if you can handle the items to see if any of the above are still an issue.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 2,755 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,572
Posts18,453,885
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.