Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I have a set ofCabelas Whitetail Extreme Bibs and parka. I found out today I would really like to cut that weight down when hiking to the tops of the mountains around here. What should I be looking for?

BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Why would you be hiking with heavy clothing?

Think a daypack, fleece, down, and layers.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Merino wool undershirt, medium weight mid layer, and a UA hoodie will get me up there without killing me with heat.

But, you freeze your ass off once you are there. A stout puff that'll pack in a gallon ziplock is what you want for cutting wind, and keep you warm in the coldest wind with damp underlayers. Not good for hiking in, but it'll be worth it's weight in gold once you get there.

Good luck.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I am carrying it in the pack. I only wear under armoud infrared and a wicking shirt and underarmour fleece pants. Everything else is packed in hence the need for something that weighs a lot less.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ditch the UA stuff and go merino. FirstLite makes really good stuff. Their puffy is where I would start. Add their soft shell jacket/bibs to that to cut wind, and you're good. The late season stuff (Sanctuary) is light weight, and like wearing a furnace.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wick, warm, wind/water.....

Merino base, always.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
lightest and warmest = down; down is a great choice for non moving activities- glassing, camp, etc- very poor choice for on the move

also not the best choice if it's going to be wet, especially with multi-day trips- the down will lose it loft (and consequently it's warmth)

on the move I always start with very light layers- it can be a little miserable at first, but I've learned to "suffer" just a bit as I get started as I normally will warmup- this prevents frequent stops and getting additional layers damp

in cooler temps I have a mid-layer- almost exclusively a fleece layer, preferably with a hood- this is a layer I can don over my light layer if it's not too cold when glassing, eating a snack- it will also be used if I need a warmer layer on the move

always have an insulating layer in my pack for prolonged stops- again preferably with a hood; what weight and wether down or syn depends on the conditions

always have a rain jacket (except extreme cold)- it keeps layers dry, but also keeps warmth in and wind out

obviously appropriate footwear, headwear and handwear

a three hood morning smile

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For your top half, basically what others have said - hike in whatever you need to stay warm and layer up with a down jacket and wind/waterproof layer on the outside when you stop.

For bottoms, I like the MH Compressor Pants when needed. They have full side zips and reinforced knees/butt. Mine weight about 19oz

I can't imagine what that Cabelas suit must weigh. Judging by their other stuff, it's probably really heavy.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For light and warm packable, I really like KUIU. Full disclosure, yes, they are a sponsor here, but this is the stuff I wear personally.

I have their superdown hoody which goes in the backpack. It weighs nothing, and when you get to your glassing spot, out it comes. It's warm, breaks wind, and fits me great. Also carry a KUIU rain shell. With these two I am warm and dry. Perfect for the backpack.

Hard to beat their superlight carbon fiber packs too.

Put on gear like this, use it a few times, and then put on the Cabelas or BassPro heavy duty stuff, and it's like night and day.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
For the $, those puffy jackets at Costco are hard to beat.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RickBin
Put on gear like this, use it a few times, and then put on the Cabelas or BassPro heavy duty stuff, and it's like night and day.

Ain't that the truth.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I weighed the Cabelas parka and bibs today on the bathroom scale, 8.8lbs. Definitely feels heavier than that.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Once I started using Kuiu gear I realized how truly crappy my hunting clothes had been, and how much I had suffered and froze over the years.

I always start with their 145 merino zip T. It is a long sleeve light merino shirt that works great in the cold and hot. In fact it is my go to piece in hot weather too.

Peloton 240 sweater along with their Super Down Puffy.

Their Attack pants are awesome, with a pair of their zip off merino bottoms I have been comfortable hunting down into the 20's.

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
To the OP, I'm in the same boat...

My stuff is getting torn and tattered, and I'm hoping to try some lightweight stuff.

Been wearing Cabelas Berber for a while, warm, but heavy as can be. Still can't wrap my head around how light some of the stuff I've seen has been and still supposed to be warm.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by STS45
... Attack pants are awesome, with a pair of their zip off merino bottoms I have been comfortable hunting down into the 20's.

This has been my experience stand hunting Virginia. I layer under the Attacks, and use the Kuiu zip-off "puffy" pants for the sit. I've been out in the low 30s for 2-3 hours without much effort. Only thing I'd change on the puffers would be to add a fly.

Kuiu runs some pretty good discount sales, and the gear I have has held up very well so far.

I have found that their gear is still athletic cut, and I need to up-size on the jackets, but a bit more forgiving in fit with those of us that are way past our "cut" days...

The secret to the light gear is sealing out the wind, and keeping a warm layer in insulation in, without sealing the cavity into a furnace. You have to hit a balance between activity and sitting that the clothes can adapt to.

Last edited by AH64guy; 12/04/16.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by 4ager
Ditch the UA stuff and go merino. FirstLite makes really good stuff. Their puffy is where I would start. Add their soft shell jacket/bibs to that to cut wind, and you're good.

Big +1 to this; it's been my experience down into single digits.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
So I bought a first lite uncompahgre and i am really impressed with it. Where is the best place to buy first lite at? I am wanting the sanctuary bibs and jacket now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bperdue21
So I bought a first lite uncompahgre and i am really impressed with it. Where is the best place to buy first lite at? I am wanting the sanctuary bibs and jacket now.

Buy direct. They run sales fairly often, and their Black Friday/weekend sale was nuts (about 45% off).

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I'm very impressed with my Sitka stuff as well, pants and jacket/shell are superb. Layer as mentioned above.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I have a Kifaru lost park parka and it's awesome. I have not used it much or in very cold (sub 30f or so) weather but everytime I've used it I've been impressed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
101 members (160user, 10Glocks, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,680 guests, and 755 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,775
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.