Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
shaman Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I want to tell you a story about my recent bit of gunsmithing heartache. It turned out well, but it took my LGS to make it happen.

Back in early October, my #2 son brought a friend of his down to shoot at the farm. The fellow is a nice guy, a relative newbie in his early 20's. He showed up with a Mossberg Patriot in 308 WIN that he'd just gotten from a gun show. It was a "package deal" rifle: the rifle, a Caldwell bipod, and a 50mm Barska scope. He brought a bunch of ammo to try, including some 180 grainers. By the end of the session the big honkin' scope had nearly rattled off its mount. The scope was showing signs of internal damage. Whoever had put the "package deal" together had not bothered with Locktite.

I suggested a modest upgrade in scope to a Bushnell mil-dot. The fellow gave me $180 on the spot, and I agreed to order the scope and mount it when it came in. When the scope arrived, I went to re-affix the Weaver mount and found I could not get the scope to align. I went to remove the Weaver mount and replace it with a Leupold STD and found the outing with the 180 grainers had partially sheared off the head of the front mounting screw. It came off.

I called my LGS, Hibberd's Armory in Cleves. The said they would get the screw out for me. I dropped off the rifle and then. . .

It was well into NOvember before my weekly calls for status yielded something. It was bad news. The smith had munged up the hole, getting it tapped. I was expecting the worst. Then I got wonderful news: my LGS was going to eat the rifle and replace it! I called the owner of the rifle and put him in touch with Hibberds. A couple of weeks later, a new Mossberg Patriot rifle arrived at my house and I got the scope mounted and returned within a day.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Whoever had put the "package deal" together had not bothered with Locktite.

Well at least they got that one part right.
The mounts were probably just too loose to begin with or the screw was damaged or over sized when it was installed, since a 308 wouldn't have had the recoil to break the screw had it been tight.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
shaman Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My guess is of the 4 screws on the mount, the front one was torqued close to breaking. When the guy discovered he was overtightening, he just barely tightened the other three.

The scope was a monster as well. The shooter probably went through 3 boxes of 180 grain ammo with only one screw bearing the whole force.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by shaman
It was bad news. The smith had munged up the hole, getting it tapped.

They need to find a new 'smith'...

But that store stepped up big-time.. Excellent news, IMHO..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
shaman Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've had excellent work done through them in the past. It's not a full service gunsmith, but he covers about 80% of the things I can't do myself.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sound like stand up folk.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Good to hear this!

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
All of you need to go to a treatment center and be cleansed of Barska exposure.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by shaman
It was bad news. The smith had munged up the hole, getting it tapped.

They need to find a new 'smith'..

+1 on this

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My experience has taught me that packaged rifles are not field ready. The scope should be removed and the bases properly torqued and loctited. Then lap the rings and re-mount the scope with loctite on the screws and again, properly torqued.

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I dont understand those who feel the need to loctite everything. I can almost understand, and even get on board with the base screws...but ring screws? Completely unnecessary and does more harm than good.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by liliysdad
I dont understand those who feel the need to loctite everything. I can almost understand, and even get on board with the base screws...but ring screws? Completely unnecessary and does more harm than good.

Only if you use the wrong Loctite.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by CAFR
Originally Posted by liliysdad

Only if you use the wrong Loctite.
wink

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (160user, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 51 invisible), 2,472 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,547
Posts18,453,523
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.