-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got a book written in the early 1900's regarding the subject. Chapter 1 the author mentions the arguments of the day: "slow twist, slow ball...fast twist, fast ball...gain twist, strong ball", and basically states he'll avoid the subject.

Can't say much has changed.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by kellory
done right, you have just as good a chance of one coming in behind you, so watch your back Trail as well.

Unless the wind is in your face.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
The thing about "still hunting " is, you have to be still. It's a lot like bow hunting.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
done right, you have just as good a chance of one coming in behind you, so watch your back Trail as well.

That is what "hot doe" on a drag is for. A buck chasing sex, sometimes forgets or overlooks what else he can smell.

(True with us too. jewelry shops are in business for that reason)

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ridgerunner85,

For sure I would switch to 7X or even 6X binos. I have lots and after trying different magnification now use 7X35. Also I keep them in an elastic held pouch on my chest and carry the rifle. It is always in one hand or the other unless it is slung on my shoulder to use the binos which is often. I never take a step after using the binos without the rifle back in my hand.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by StudDuck
]Back when I was learning to hunt in the late 70's early 80's everyone just wore blue jeans and a flannel shirt/jacket. I like my camo, but it's more marketing and a fashion show than anything.

I used to wear the hunter orange until a guy wearing a hunter orange pants and shirt was shot. Since then I wear camo unless I go to a state requiring orange. I don't want the "hunter" who would shoot an orange deer to see me.

Everyday Hunter
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Thanks for the help BobinNH and Ringman. I'll look for a 6x to 8x pair. What model/brand do you suggest in the $300 range?

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Is there such a thing as an area being too thick to still hunt? The reason I ask is one area I love to hunt is an old tornado blowdown. The deer love it but it's dang near impossible to get through without making a bunch of noise.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
ridgerunner honestly I don't know on the bins. But others here do.

If the deer are bedding in that tornado mess you may be better off waiting them out. But sometimes bucks go nocturnal and the only way is to go in after them. If you get good conditions what's the worst that can happen? They get spooked? So what? Hunt somewhere else until the area settles back down.

One of the largest NH bucks I have ever seen was killed by a friend who tracked it into a thick cedar swamp after a fresh snow; the buck knew he was there but hesitated, likely figuring he had not been seen. He ended up dead. The guy is one of the best whitetail hunters I know.

The "experts" would tell you it's impossible to approach a big mature whitetail buck by walking him up, or still hunting . That's just BS.

Last edited by BobinNH; 12/05/16.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
8x42 Vortex Diamondbacks can be had for a bargain. Wish they had 6x42's.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
[quote=ridgerunner85]Thanks for the help BobinNH and Ringman. I'll look for a 6x to 8x pair. What model/brand do you suggest in the $300 range?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are always mentioned when this topic comes up .

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/binoculars/bx-1-yosemite-binoculars/bx-1-yosemite-6x30mm/

I really like carring my 8oz. zeiss conquest 8x20 but in low light conditions the small 20mm lens doesn't gather much light .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ringman
]Back when I was learning to hunt in the late 70's early 80's everyone just wore blue jeans and a flannel shirt/jacket. I like my camo, but it's more marketing and a fashion show than anything.

I used to wear the hunter orange until a guy wearing a hunter orange pants and shirt was shot. Since then I wear camo unless I go to a state requiring orange. I don't want the "hunter" who would shoot an orange deer to see me.

The level of stupidity you exhibit on a daily basis is ever increasing. That is truly astounding.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ridgerunner85
Is there such a thing as an area being too thick to still hunt? The reason I ask is one area I love to hunt is an old tornado blowdown. The deer love it but it's dang near impossible to get through without making a bunch of noise.

Hunt the conditions for that. After a rain, with a significant pressure change and a drop of 10-15 degrees, with the wind right for hunting it would be the recipe for success. If the conditions aren't right, don't waste your time or bust out the location.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by Ringman

The level of stupidity you exhibit on a daily basis is ever increasing. That is truly astounding.

LMAO!!

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ridgerunner85,

On the way to settling on the Nikon 7X35 I tried a few. Here are a three comparison sessions. The newest is at the top. I have 46 pages of this kind of info for my entertainment. When I started keeping records I put the newest at the top of the page.

March 4, 2013

This evening I decided to compare some binoculars at sunset. It was the end of a beautiful cloudless day about 60* and I didn’t get out to enjoy it until after dinner. The object on which I compared them is a fork antler 131 yards away in the woods. Four brands of different magnifications included Bushnell Legend Ultra HD ED2 8X42, Vortex Raptor 6.5X32 (porro prism), Nikon Action Extreme ATB 7X35 waterproof/fogproof (porro prism), and Alpen wings ED 8X20 pocket model (roof prism). These last one are in a pouch on my belt.

I started about 5:45 PM. At first I was switching back and forth but realized the Nikons and the Bushnells were definitely better than the other two for the lower light. I limited my switching to the Vortex and Alpens. When I could no longer distinguish the antlers well enough to shoot the deer carrying them I noted the time. A very disturbing observation was that I could not discern the antlers in the woods hand holding them. The sand bags were necessary.

I thought the Alpens might be the first to go because of the small objective, but wondered because it is 8X. I have discovered from comparing scopes when it is too dark to see the antlers I just turn up the magnification setting. It lasted as long as the Vortex till 5:57; despite the Vortex having about 2 1/2X more objective area and an exit pupil 2 1/2X greater. The Nikons lasted ten minutes longer and went to 6:07 while the Bushnell took me to 6:13. If I do an afternoon hunt the Bushnells will be the ones I take.

About 2PM the next day I compared the Nikon Action 7-15X35 with the Nikon Action Extreme ATB 7X35 during a drizzle. It seemed the variable was slightly easier to get a sharp image but neither gave a sharper image than the other. I trained them on the 1956 military optics chart. I could make out the lines on the large number six with both. The fun part of the variable is I could discern the lines on the small number six. I am still delighted with the optics of the 7-15X35 that I keep in the pickup.

December 27, 2012

Recently I became interested in a binocular that will show me about the same detail as my roof prism Bushnell Legend Ultra HD ED2 8X42 (426 feet field of view $160 with rebate) and have a much larger field of view. Today, December 27, 2012, the porro prism Nikon Action Extreme ATB 7X35 waterproof/fogproof binoculars (487feet field of view $125) arrived. The weather is totally overcast at 3PM. John, my son-in-law, opened the package and started looking through them. “These are nice!” he exclaimed emphasizing “nice”.

I laid out a couple sand bags on the edge of the porch but he was not interested. He continued to hold them in his hand. “I can read ‘Can you read’ on the pump house. The field of view is huge,” he continued. The pump house is 127 yards away.

I put the roof prism Bushnells on the sandbag and focused them. I could read the second line and sorta make out some letters in the third line. Finally John handed me the Nikons and I gave him the Bushnells. I put them on the sandbag and adjusted them with the right side blocked. Then I adjusted the diopter for the right eye and adjusted the binocular to its best adjustment for my eyes. Definitely these are better than the Zen-Ray 7X36 ($375) I purchased and returned last month. Those allowed me to read only the first line. I couldn’t tell any difference when looking into the woods beyond the pump house with them and the Bushnells. Same thing with the Nikons. The Zen-Rays certainly weren’t good enough to relegate the Bushnells to backup status. The Nikons, although only 7X, allowed me to read the second line. So I get some bins for 1/3 the cost that are maybe 10% better than the Zen-Rays.

November 16, 2012 (This one included the Swarovski z5 5-25X52 scope.)

Today is totally overcast at noon. I compared the Zen-Ray 7X36 ED2 (477 feet field of view / $375) with the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD ED2 8X42 (426 feet field of view $160 with rebate) and the Swarovski z5 5-25X52. After adjusting the diopter on both binoculars to my eyes till I really liked them I fiddled with the Swarovski. I tuned it up from 5X till I could clearly make out the “Can you read” at 127 yards. Then I fiddled with the side focus until the image was as sharp as I could get it. I turned the power ring down again till I could not make out the first line and turned it back up till I could easily read the first line. I looked at the power ring: barely past 8X. I looked again through the scope to check if I could read the second line but could not. I could make out some of the letters.

Both binoculars appeared to be about the same when I looked into the woods and at the deer antlers beyond the pump house. To really check out their ability to resolve detail, though, I went back to the “Can you read this?” chart. With the Bushnell I could read Lines one and two but could not make out number three. The Zen-Ray allowed me to easily read the first line but could not read the second line. Its value was the increased field of view if it was as good as the Bushnell. It will be returned for a refund. I will keep trying.

Everyday Hunter
M
mart Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by ridgerunner85

Hunt the conditions for that. After a rain, with a significant pressure change and a drop of 10-15 degrees, with the wind right for hunting it would be the recipe for success. If the conditions aren't right, don't waste your time or bust out the location.

Couldn't agree more. Hunting the rain can be very productive and it keeps 90% of the other hunters home. Hunting a snag patch like that in dry weather is sure to be counter productive but in the rain or snow when you can move nearly soundlessly it can pay some dividends.

On the binocular question, I use Pentax DCF's 8x43. Great glass and not overpowered for the brush nor underpowered for open country.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I love hunting the rain for that simple reason. Most of the hunters stay home.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by smokepole

That is what "hot doe" on a drag is for. A buck chasing sex, sometimes forgets or overlooks what else he can smell.

You must smell awful nice.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For the most part, a great string of comments. I find still hunting the most rewarding, and pleasant, way to spend a day.
Sometimes I think that some folks are taking it all a little to seriously, defining success by the kill rather than the hunt.
Here in western NYS, most counties have made legalized the use of rifles for big game, over the last decade or so. Permanent tower stands are proliferating, and I am aware of several properties that require hunters to remain in their stand. Sniping seems to be the rage.
The good old days of "drives" has become rare in this area of the Finger Lakes. Where and when I grew up up, this was a great social exercise aong the neighboring farms.
As our gun season often takes place just after the rut, it seems that I often enjoy a successful season slowly still hunting back in the thick stuff, rather I kill one or not.
Only downside, sometimes I take one in a gawdawful place to get them out.
Adapting to the conditions mother nature provides is crucial. I view most bad weather as a bonus. My priority is to enjoy the day.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've always thought of it as kinda "oozing" through the woods. Seems the second you get sloppy there's a white ass waving at you.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 44 invisible), 2,262 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,554
Posts18,453,614
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.