Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Teeder
Originally Posted by battue
Originally Posted by BobinNH

The "experts" would tell you it's impossible to approach a big mature whitetail buck by walking him up, or still hunting . That's just BS.

And two still hunting together and staying about 50yards or so apart can fool more than a few. The experts probably think two would make make too much noise to even have a remote chance.

A little noise can be your friend if you are trying to tag team them.

That's exactly how my son got his bear this year.
We were about 50-60 yards apart, working a steep, laurel choked, side hill. He was above me and shot it at 10 yards!

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

Had a roast last night and it was delicious!

Great picture.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks, everyone! I would have posted sooner, but I've been having issues with photobucket.

What did he shoot it with?

The mighty 7mm-08 with a 145 Grandslam.

Rem 700 LVSF / TI stock / 2.5X8

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by kellory
done right, you have just as good a chance of one coming in behind you, so watch your back Trail as well.

Unless the wind is in your face.

That is what "hot doe" on a drag is for. A buck chasing sex, sometimes forgets or overlooks what else he can smell.

You must smell awful nice.

Why? Are you into "scratch and sniffs"?

Actually, I do my best to not smell at all. my wife has asthma to the point it can kill her. we'd spend way too much time at the hospital as it is.
No scent soaps, deodorants, shampoos, cosmetics, aftershave, nothing. Any odors that we can avoid, we do. Winters are the worst, with closed environments, and other people's stinks. She has other problems as well, but that, and a heart condition are the worst.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
done right, you have just as good a chance of one coming in behind you, so watch your back Trail as well.

Unless the wind is in your face.

That is what "hot doe" on a drag is for. A buck chasing sex, sometimes forgets or overlooks what else he can smell.

You must smell awful nice.

Why? Are you into "scratch and sniffs"?

No. I'm not the one talking about "hot doe on a drag," am I.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If one can detect animals that are overtaking him in the woods, he's doing it right. Most move way to often and fast.

1Minute
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
This has been good.
On binos the pair I like the best are 8x42 Nikons because they focus easily. 7x would be better yet but I got a screaming deal on the 8x's. You'll be refocusing them every time you raise them to your eyes, and the whole time they're up. Eye relief and focus are more important than the magnification.

On clothes, comfortable and quiet, I hunt thick cover but twigs dragging on clothes can be heard very well from a ways off. Earthy colors, and soft work best. Fleece if it's dry out, wool as it gets colder, I still haven't found rain pants I like.

I have found an area that's almost too thick, but some early season trail cleaning made it hunt-able. It's a smaller area of chaos in a well hunted public land. I've only seen one pair of tracks through it in the last few years that weren't mine. Best time to hunt is during or right after a rain when everythings dripping. Dry leaves are too noisy, and the dripping hides noise.

I like to hunt like this alone usually but have been doing it with my boys for years. We do follow each other, same path. At times one trails back, other times we stay together. Either way it's way more fun than sitting still most of the time.

All in all, sometimes an area is best hunted from a stand though.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
When I lived back east deer hunting was crowded, on relatively small pieces of ground. Everyone had their stand, and sat there. Occasionally, small pushes would occur but for the most part it was sitting. The only still hunting that went on was in the middle of the week if you had the place to yourself. Rarely practiced is rarely successful! I was touched several years ago when my father apologized to me about for "never really teaching you to deer hunt, we never taught any of you kids. It's just all tree stands these days."

But now I can say still hunting is alive and well in Southeast Alaska. Around here a fellow can hunt about as far and long as his legs and patience will carry him. There are no fields, no food plots; for the better part of the season, if you want a deer, you go find one. I hunt a mix of big timber and brushy stuff. It's a real thrill to ease up on a deer that has no idea you're there, or have one wander by oblivious to your presence. It's an even bigger thrill when it happens with a brown bear instead of a deer.

I've found the following to be very helpful with still hunting:

1. Slow down to the pace of God's creation. This is a real mental challenge for most, me especially. I try to act there's a deer within 50 or 100 yards of me at all times and evaluate how I'm moving and watching by that standard.

2. I make a conscious effort to look near and far and really pick the scene in front of my apart bit by bit looking for pieces of deer and little bits of movement. Binos are a plus. I know I've failed at this when one runs from about 20 yards out which in retrospect had to have been watching me for 10 minutes at least.

3. Be ready to shoot at a moment's notice. For me this means being intentional about placing my feet and standing as to shoot at a moment's notice. How I'm holding the gun is important as well. It's either in my hands or in the Kifaru gun bearer so I can use the binos. The gun bearer is fast. It basically makes your rifle like a holstered handgun. I've jumped deer up and shot them from it.

4. Don't waste time in barren country. If I'm not seeing sign or "feeling it", I dump some layers and take off for greener pastures, then slow waayyy down when I get there.

5. For shooting, get a rifle you can shoot well, fast, both for the initial shot and followups. Fit and balance are important. I use both scopes and peep sights. Forget high velocity stuff! They ruin meat and lack penetration.

I really started as a still hunter here in AK with a .375 H&H, due to bears. As you can imagine, a 300gr Partition will through-hole a deer from any angle. I came to realize this is a very handy thing. I generally avoid raking shots on does since it can get messy, but it's a nice capability to have with you're really hungry or a big buck up and takes off. One time I had a guy come unwound when I spoke of raking a big buck from behind. Then he admitted taking shots at deer directly facing him, but looked puzzled when I asked what difference does it make if you bust a ham or guts with the bullet coming or going? Then, I'm biased since I used medium bores at moderate velocity bullets that aren't especially destructive.

The latest buck I killed worked like this: I hunted along a stream for awhile. The water noise was a nice cover. I passed on two does and a little buck before getting into a flooded mess of an area which had no deer sign whatsoever, but plenty of brown bear sign. Power walking for about 30 minutes took care of that problem. Looking ahead there were six or eight very fresh looking rubs and I realized it was time to slow down. The next 75 yards took me about forty minutes to travel. I ended up at the edge of a muskeg, a wonderful muskeg with edges brushy enough to appeal as edge cover but open enough to afford me a decent view of things. "Slow down!" I say to myself. Seventeen lifetimes later (or so it seems, but maybe 45 minutes) I'm about fifty yards further along and still really watching that edge. A peripheral movement on the right soon manifests as the rear end of a deer popping up as a big buck stands out of his bed. Huh? He was bedded in the sun out in the open behind a little spruce tree. Made sense in retrospect since it was the first nice day after a run of horrible weather. Anyway, it's time to shoot and he's taking off, straight away. I see his antlers are quite a bit past his ears, and his got a third point on at least one side. "Shoot him now!" At about 35 yards he starts to turn for the cover as the crosshairs settle on his fanny. Adjusting for his slight turn as the trigger press finishes, the shot breaks and he crumples. The 286gr Nosler from the 9.3x62 entered just forward of his hip and blew out the front of his chest. As the last of a big puff of hair drifts down, my nose catches that pungent smell of fall, rutty buck. Here he is, as he fell:

[img:left]http://[Linked Image][/img]

Last edited by pabucktail; 12/06/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nicely done.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
mart Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
pabucktail,

Great still hunting summary. And nice buck. Good job.

Mart

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Anyone use Hecs clothing? If so does it seem to make any difference?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B3

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Nice!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"No. I'm not the one talking about "hot doe on a drag," am I.

A wise man is frequently humbled. " smokepole

I'm going to assume, you are unfamiliar with a dragline. (Though why you find it amusing is beyond me).
I have a few of these, for diffrent scents, depending upon the intended use.
http://m.gandermountain.com/modperl...rs-Specialties-Retract-Drag&i=400969
Soemtimes doe in heat, sometimes apple or acorn. I've tried a few, and found a few suprises as well.
These work well, do not transfer scent to you, and self store.
I've been experimenting with draw scents for some time, and with some interest from other hunters. One of them donated the game camera (damaged) that i use to check results.
Shaman may recall this project. I started it on deeranddeerhunting.com

Last edited by kellory; 12/07/16.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by pabucktail
When I lived back east deer hunting was crowded, on relatively small pieces of ground. Everyone had their stand, and sat there. Occasionally, small pushes would occur but for the most part it was sitting. The only still hunting that went on was in the middle of the week if you had the place to yourself. Rarely practiced is rarely successful! I was touched several years ago when my father apologized to me about for "never really teaching you to deer hunt, we never taught any of you kids. It's just all tree stands these days."

But now I can say still hunting is alive and well in Southeast Alaska. Around here a fellow can hunt about as far and long as his legs and patience will carry him. There are no fields, no food plots; for the better part of the season, if you want a deer, you go find one. I hunt a mix of big timber and brushy stuff. It's a real thrill to ease up on a deer that has no idea you're there, or have one wander by oblivious to your presence. It's an even bigger thrill when it happens with a brown bear instead of a deer.

I've found the following to be very helpful with still hunting:

1. Slow down to the pace of God's creation. This is a real mental challenge for most, me especially. I try to act there's a deer within 50 or 100 yards of me at all times and evaluate how I'm moving and watching by that standard.

2. I make a conscious effort to look near and far and really pick the scene in front of my apart bit by bit looking for pieces of deer and little bits of movement. Binos are a plus. I know I've failed at this when one runs from about 20 yards out which in retrospect had to have been watching me for 10 minutes at least.

3. Be ready to shoot at a moment's notice. For me this means being intentional about placing my feet and standing as to shoot at a moment's notice. How I'm holding the gun is important as well. It's either in my hands or in the Kifaru gun bearer so I can use the binos. The gun bearer is fast. It basically makes your rifle like a holstered handgun. I've jumped deer up and shot them from it.

4. Don't waste time in barren country. If I'm not seeing sign or "feeling it", I dump some layers and take off for greener pastures, then slow waayyy down when I get there.

5. For shooting, get a rifle you can shoot well, fast, both for the initial shot and followups. Fit and balance are important. I use both scopes and peep sights. Forget high velocity stuff! They ruin meat and lack penetration.

I really started as a still hunter here in AK with a .375 H&H, due to bears. As you can imagine, a 300gr Partition will through-hole a deer from any angle. I came to realize this is a very handy thing. I generally avoid raking shots on does since it can get messy, but it's a nice capability to have with you're really hungry or a big buck up and takes off. One time I had a guy come unwound when I spoke of raking a big buck from behind. Then he admitted taking shots at deer directly facing him, but looked puzzled when I asked what difference does it make if you bust a ham or guts with the bullet coming or going? Then, I'm biased since I used medium bores at moderate velocity bullets that aren't especially destructive.

The latest buck I killed worked like this: I hunted along a stream for awhile. The water noise was a nice cover. I passed on two does and a little buck before getting into a flooded mess of an area which had no deer sign whatsoever, but plenty of brown bear sign. Power walking for about 30 minutes took care of that problem. Looking ahead there were six or eight very fresh looking rubs and I realized it was time to slow down. The next 75 yards took me about forty minutes to travel. I ended up at the edge of a muskeg, a wonderful muskeg with edges brushy enough to appeal as edge cover but open enough to afford me a decent view of things. "Slow down!" I say to myself. Seventeen lifetimes later (or so it seems, but maybe 45 minutes) I'm about fifty yards further along and still really watching that edge. A peripheral movement on the right soon manifests as the rear end of a deer popping up as a big buck stands out of his bed. Huh? He was bedded in the sun out in the open behind a little spruce tree. Made sense in retrospect since it was the first nice day after a run of horrible weather. Anyway, it's time to shoot and he's taking off, straight away. I see his antlers are quite a bit past his ears, and his got a third point on at least one side. "Shoot him now!" At about 35 yards he starts to turn for the cover as the crosshairs settle on his fanny. Adjusting for his slight turn as the trigger press finishes, the shot breaks and he crumples. The 286gr Nosler from the 9.3x62 entered just forward of his hip and blew out the front of his chest. As the last of a big puff of hair drifts down, my nose catches that pungent smell of fall, rutty buck. Here he is, as he fell:

[img:left]http://[Linked Image][/img]

Very cool. I like the rifle!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Thanks guys. This rifle is now my favorite. JES worked his magic on it and then I put it in a winlite stock. It fits me just right and is a killer.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by StudDuck
]Back when I was learning to hunt in the late 70's early 80's everyone just wore blue jeans and a flannel shirt/jacket. I like my camo, but it's more marketing and a fashion show than anything.

I used to wear the hunter orange until a guy wearing a hunter orange pants and shirt was shot. Since then I wear camo unless I go to a state requiring orange. I don't want the "hunter" who would shoot an orange deer to see me.

Another uber retarded post. Congrats.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by duckcall
I grew up reading about Larry Benoit from Vermont. I was a young kid in the Midwest and just marveled at the fact that a person could either still hunt or follow the track of a particular deer. That was back in the days where a doe tag was like winning the lottery in Iowa.

I used to love reading about Larry Benoit when I was a kid!

Afterward I'd dream of tracking a buck in the big, snow covered woods of Vermont.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Sweet buck pabucktail! I like the midbore choice a lot for where your at.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by pabucktail

Great post and spot on.

I tracked a buck for over 6 hours the last day of rifle season. I was on a fast walk a good portion of the time as he wasn't that close. In that time, he ran into one pocket of does. If you stillhunted at "God's pace" you'd never even be in the game.

Last edited by JDK; 12/07/16.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JDK

I tracked a buck for over 6 hours the last day of rifle season. I was on a fast walk a good portion of the time as he wasn't that close. In that time, he ran into one pocket of does. If you stillhunted at "God's pace" you'd never even be in the game.

"Gods Pace" can be a real waste of time if there's nothing nearby.....and that's common in big woods. You're farting around trying to move like a snail and he's two miles away.

In those places I abandoned this still hunting business altogether unless I knew there was a buck very close by.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by JDK

"Gods Pace" can be a real waste of time if there's nothing nearby.....and that's common in big woods. You're farting around trying to move like a snail and he's two miles away.

In those places I abandoned this still hunting business altogether unless I knew there was a buck very close by.

Spot on Bob. Having spent many of the last 10-15 season hunting in the bigger woods of N.Main and N.NH, Unless you know you're into the deer, there's no point in going slow. There's an awful lot of places deer can be and if you're not there, you best be moving.

Like JDK said, frequently when tracking deer my pace is at a walk or faster until I either bump them or can tell by the tracks they aren't far ahead. When that's the case, it's time to slow down. Otherwise I'm wasting time.

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

704 members (1234, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 66 invisible), 3,093 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,485
Posts18,451,946
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.