Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I know of Rotometals, but I'm sure there are others.
Who, and where might they be?

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ebay...

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
How about here? I don't know if the do non commercial sales, but if you ask, they may point you to one of thier customers that does.

salessantarosalead.com
Santa Rosa Lead Products
(800) 916-LEAD (5323) Fax: (707) 431-1749

33 South University Street
Healdsburg, CA 95448
3949 Guasti Road, Unit B
Ontario, CA 91761
Serving California, Alaska, Arizona, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
I went to a local scrap yard and purchased what they called lead.
the stuff is so hard there is no way that it is lead may be 10% if that.

I went to Rotometals and purchased lead pgs and add a very small amount of the stuff I got from the scrap yard to harded to what I need.
Gunna take about a hundred years ti mix all the hard stuff I have.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Scrap yard stuff can many times turn out to be mystery metal, if it looks like lead and is heavy like lead then it's lead to them. Years ago I bought some aluminum angle from a scrap yard it has some kind of OD green military coating on it. The stuff was harder than woodpecker lips, same thing with some stainless steel material. Hardest stainless I ever tried to machine.

IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Scrap yard stuff can many times turn out to be mystery metal, if it looks like lead and is heavy like lead then it's lead to them. Years ago I bought some aluminum angle from a scrap yard it has some kind of OD green military coating on it. The stuff was harder than woodpecker lips, same thing with some stainless steel material. Hardest stainless I ever tried to machine.

True that! I've got some scrap yard "lead" that is soft like lead, wieghs almost as much as lead, but takes the heat of a cutting torch to melt it. No idea what it is. It's shaped like it might have been a bearing race for a huge shaft.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
The deal with getting good scrap yard lead is to only buy source lead of a known alloy. If you buy lead sheathing or lead pipe, you know you are getting nearly pure lead. Clip on wheel weights are another source of lead of a known alloy.

Don

NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Most of my lead came from lead wheel weights smelted down and cleaned up, then cast into Lyman ingots. I do manage to pick up some pure soft lead at times and I also have tin and other stuff around to harden it if needed.

eBay is good source for lead and lead wheel weights (if you can get them) are a good plan B.

Cast

I have a short attention spa
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Allen917

True that! I've got some scrap yard "lead" that is soft like lead, wieghs almost as much as lead, but takes the heat of a cutting torch to melt it. No idea what it is. It's shaped like it might have been a bearing race for a huge shaft.

Probably some kind of babbit bearing alloy of which there are too many to count. May well have large amounts of copper in the mix which would explain the high melt temp. Do the resulting bullets have a kind of purplish hue to them?

Last edited by gnoahhh; 12/01/16.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I check tire shops for wheel weights.

A buddy and I bought a couple tons of recovered bullets from an indoor range. Smelted out the lead and sold the copper to a recycler. It's harder than I thought it would be. I also bought a bunch of pure lead from a guy who bought a lead lined x-ray booth.

Last edited by stomatador; 12/02/16.

What would Porter Rockwell do?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1_deuce, 1234, 240NMC, 72 invisible), 2,647 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,977
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.