Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I've got a Rem 788 that needs some work, the gun has lots of sentimental value which is why I'm building on this action and not starting with a custom action(have also heard lots of good things about this action). Gun is in the .22-250 caliber so it's the "short" 788 action. I figure I'll keep it as the .22-250 caliber. Walking a somewhat lightweight gun that will be run suppressed that will mostly be used for hunting maybe some long range plinking at times. Excited to finally be doing this this upcoming year.

Specs will be:

Rem 788 action

Oversized bolt knob (Need to find a smith for this any recommendations appreciated)

X-Caliber .22 CF blank fluted (Thinking Light Varmint contour, still undecided here) finished at 16.5"-18" with TBAC muzzle break.

TBAC Ultra 9 30 cal

Timney 788 Trigger

McMillan stock (leaning towards the A3 Sporter, possibly edge fill)

EGW 20 MOA base

Seekins precision matched 30mm rings

Bushnell 3-12x44 LRHS

That is what I am thinking, would like to hear feedback on my list. Especially to save weight. Gun will mostly be used on coyotes and whitetail deer inside 400yds. So is it worth the extra 1.5" barrel length to gain 60ish fps? I would like to keep a somewhat heavy contour barrel, that's why I'm thinking of fluting to reduce some weight. Anyone see any issues with the list of parts I've compiled? Or see anything that they would change or do differently? Thanks appreciate any feedback.

P.S. I know there are better actions out there, I already have this one and I'm wondering if it's worth spending some money on?

Ben

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I like Remington 788s, but I would never put as much $$ into one as your list suggests you are looking to spend.

When you build a custom rifle, you build it to meet your specific wants/needs/ideas, knowing that you're unlikely to get the $$ out of it that you've put into it if you decide to sell it.

If you want it do, but do it going into it with your eyes wide open to the probability that you will lose $$ on it.

I've seen too many guys put a couple $K into a rifle and then become disenchanted with it, only to find out that they're lucky to get back 60% of the money that they've plowed into it.

But, there are thousands of people here with thousands of conflicting opinions, so in the end, its up to you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My only suggestion. Plan for a SWFA 3-9 or 3-15 and buy a 700 donor with the savings over the LRHS. I recently tripped 2 LRHS's and invested in SWFA scopes with the proceeds. I like the SWFA's mo' betta'. Read up on them and you'll see. And you'll save a few ounces.

Keep the Model 788 22-250 as is if it has sentimental value.

Last edited by 257heaven; 11/29/16.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I lied about just one suggestion. If you're talking about a LV light varmint contour, you are planning a very heavy gun. I have a 22-250 with a Rock LV and it's heavier than my Rem factory varmint contour guns by a good margin.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by 257heaven
My only suggestion. Plan for a SWFA 3-9 or 3-15 and buy a 700 donor with the savings over the LRHS. I recently tripped 2 LRHS's and invested in SWFA scopes with the proceeds. I like the SWFA's mo' betta'. Read up on them and you'll see. And you'll save a few ounces.

The 788 needed a new barrel(bad pitting in the chamber from years of abuse) which was done poorly by a sorry gunsmith(another story for another day). So if nothing else I'll be adding a better barrel, trigger and scope base. I know I won't get my money back, but seeing as I'll never sell it I'm ok with putting some moeny into her. I hate to see it sitting there not getting any use.

I've had an SWFA 3-9 and loved it, wouldn't have to twist my wrist much to put one on this build. Thank you for the suggestions!

Ben

Last edited by BenY2013; 11/29/16.
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by BenY2013

Specs will be:

Rem 788 action

Oversized bolt knob (Need to find a smith for this any recommendations appreciated)

Unless you intend to improve how the bolt handle attaches to the bolt body, care should be taken with modifying the existing bolt handle. The factory bolt handle is known to be a flawed design and can become detached, perhaps even more readily than the M700 is known to. An oversized bolt knob would increase the mechanical leverage applied to an already weak attachment and could lead to premature failure.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by carbon12

Specs will be:

Rem 788 action

Unless you intend to improve how the bolt handle attaches to the bolt body, care should be taken with modifying the existing bolt handle. The factory bolt handle is known to be a flawed design and can become detached, perhaps even more readily than the M700 is known to. An oversized bolt knob would increase the mechanical leverage applied to an already weak attachment and could lead to premature failure.

I got to thinking about this today actually, might wait on that.

Ben

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I don't recall seeing anything about twist rate of your new barrel. I would suggest you go 1-8" as the slowest twist considered.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by mmgravy
I don't recall seeing anything about twist rate of your new barrel. I would suggest you go 1-8" as the slowest twist considered.

Yes I forgot to put that in there, but I am planning on going 1in8 twist. Thanks for the reminder!

Ben

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know for a fact that Mike Polazzo of Polazzo Precision here in WA. has a cherry factory 788 22-250 barrel sitting in his shop. He offered to install it on my old man's shot out 788 for $75 a few weeks back.

He had several 788 virgin take offs in several caliberd from building bench guns when they were new.

May be worth a call.

IC B3

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
I know for a fact that Mike Polazzo of Polazzo Precision here in WA. has a cherry factory 788 22-250 barrel sitting in his shop. He offered to install it on my old man's shot out 788 for $75 a few weeks back.

He had several 788 virgin take offs in several caliberd from building bench guns when they were new.

May be worth a call.

Appreciate the offer, I'd prefer a bit of a heavier contour than what comes factory. May give him a call since it sounds like he works on several of them however. Thanks

Ben

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 788 in 6mm, so I like learning new stuff you can do to them. I still need to drop a Timney in mine... 788s are pretty heavy actions, so even a short barrel in your chosen contour is gonna be heavy...

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MallardAddict

May be worth a call.

Appreciate the offer, I'd prefer a bit of a heavier contour than what comes factory. May give him a call since it sounds like he works on several of them however. Thanks

Ben
788's did come with a 24" heavy taper. I have one. It would be perfect if it was a 1-8" not the 1-14" it is. Still shoot well with bullets designed for the 1-14

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by KDK
I have a 788 in 6mm, so I like learning new stuff you can do to them. I still need to drop a Timney in mine... 788s are pretty heavy actions, so even a short barrel in your chosen contour is gonna be heavy...

Yes I know it's not going to be an ultralight by any means. I want to try and keep it around 10 lbs and under if possible. Most likely eventually get an edge fill McMillan.

Ben

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

if buying bases for 788's, you might find this useful:

the .44 magnum was the short action in the 788;
the .222, .223, and 22-250 is the long action;
and the .243, 6mm, 308, etc., is the extra long action (XL).

if it's sentimental, why not put a new tube on it, and go with that?

as accurate as the 788's are, i don't think that it's a stellar idea to use that action for your project.

Howa makes excellent stuff for the price range--why not order one of their barreled actions, and proceed from there??

whatever way you decide to go, i hope you enjoy building the project...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Lightweight and Bushnell 3-12 LRHS all in the same sentence? A first for sure! grin

For a light recoiling 22-250 and inside 400 yard shooting you don't need that much weight in a scope.

LOL
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 257heaven

The 788 needed a new barrel(bad pitting in the chamber from years of abuse) which was done poorly by a sorry gunsmith(another story for another day). So if nothing else I'll be adding a better barrel, trigger and scope base. I know I won't get my money back, but seeing as I'll never sell it I'm ok with putting some moeny into her. I hate to see it sitting there not getting any use.

I've had an SWFA 3-9 and loved it, wouldn't have to twist my wrist much to put one on this build. Thank you for the suggestions!

Ben

Ben, I think your rifle would rock with a new barrel and timney trigger. I spruced up a left hand 6mm rem 788 that was extremely accurate. I went on the cheap though and just painted the stock, threw on an EGW mount and a burris scope and installed a new Timney. I can see the merits of going with a SWFA SS scope though. I think with a barrel change and that scope and new trigger, you'd have a tack driver without spending an arm and a leg on it. Here's the rifle I had. It was one of the most accurate rifles I've had. I miss the little 6mm rem cartridge too:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Here's how she shot on it's first outing, when I was dialing in the new scope:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have a couple of Timney triggers for the 788 still in the package. Let me know if you need one.

Richard

Last edited by Turk1961; 12/06/16.

NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (2500HD, 260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,309 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,651
Posts18,455,483
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.