Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Guys:

Did a search, but didn't come up with anything useful. I have four nice sized venison tenderloins (inner loins) in the freezer. Want to prepare them as a part of a special wild game dinner.

Most recipes for "tenderloin" on the 'net, are actually describing the backstraps; NOT the same piece of meat at all.

So, what are your favorite ways to prepare venison tenderloin?? THKS.

NB

NRA Life Member
"Use Enough Gun"- Robert Ruark
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Floured and fried. Make milk gravy and pan fried potatoes. Homemade biscuits if you can. If not there are some good frozen ones. A couple of slices of a good onion goes well with it.
miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by milespatton
Floured and fried. Make milk gravy and pan fried potatoes. Homemade biscuits if you can. If not there are some good frozen ones. A couple of slices of a good onion goes well with it.
miles

I didn't think anyone else on this planet did that to theirs when they cook them. I use flour with season salt (lawrys) and fresh cracked peppper, a touch of garlic powder and sometimes a pinch of basil in the mixture. I'll let the tenderloins sit in a bit of olive oil for a while as they come up to room temperature and then dredge them in the seasoned flour. I little olive oil in the pan at a med heat and brown them up but don't let them cook past med. once done and I go to serve them I'll cut them into 1" thick medallions as I place onto the plates. A nice cab goes well these.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pat dry
Rub a LIGHT coat of olive oil over them
Season to taste (I've been on a Brown Sugar Bourbon Grillmates kick lately)

Have your charcoal grill set up 2-zone (coals banked and hotter than [bleep] on one side)
Sear 1 1/2 - 2 minutes per side - don't over do it
Move to indirect side to reach desired finish temp - if you go past rare you're wrong
Let rest a few minutes

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Slice into medallions, marinate in teraki and smoke with alderwood. Finish on the grill with a slice of thick sliced bacon wrapped around each.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A couple nights ago I made sort of a Parmesan using butterflied loins. Rolled the pieces in Italian breadcrumbs, pan fried them in olive oil for a couple minutes, threw in some mushrooms, covered it in tomato sauce and baked for about an hour. Topped it with shredded mozzarella during the last few minutes. It was beyond good.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dinner here tonight is a backstrap and a tenderloin. I will be broiling medium rare on a bed of bacon wrapped asparagus.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
THANKS for the reply's. My mouth is watering already. laugh

NRA Life Member
"Use Enough Gun"- Robert Ruark
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My favorite is to make saltimbocca with them (mine have been elk).

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i fry 2 homemade burger size sausage patties then cut them into strips. split the loin long ways almost in 2. stuff the sausage in the loin,season with montreal steak seasoning .rap in bacon. cook on grill until the bacon is done. loin will be med to rare. cut into 1inch thick slices and serve. it won't last long.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Seems we've got things confused again. Lots of replies talking LOINS.

Tender loins are best kept super simple.

Here's how we do them;

Cut cross grain & salt & pepper.

Into a pan goes good quality thick bacon chunks & 2 sliced onions & cook down, add 200gr sliced cremini mushrooms & cook down. Deglaze pan with good splash of bourbon & raise heat. Add tender loin piece & basically stir fry. Add thin matchsticks of sweet pepper & toss a couple of times.

Serve with mashed taters.

Simple & delicious !

P.S. Use quality bacon, not streaky bacon, you do not want to end up with a greasy/oily mess.

Last edited by New_2_99s; 12/05/16. Reason: P.S.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I just had elk tenderloins last night.

Seasoned Salt, Greek seasoning, and ground sage. All very lightly, then lightly sprits with EVO. Cooked on the gas grill at medium heat. I like all my meat with a tad of pink in the center.

I don't like to coverup the taste with a lot of seasoning

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hillestadj
Pat dry
Rub a LIGHT coat of olive oil over them
Season to taste (I've been on a Brown Sugar Bourbon Grillmates kick lately)

Have your charcoal grill set up 2-zone (coals banked and hotter than [bleep] on one side)
Sear 1 1/2 - 2 minutes per side - don't over do it
Move to indirect side to reach desired finish temp - if you go past rare you're wrong
Let rest a few minutes

This. I've tried it many other ways and keep returning to this.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Best to keep it simple as there shouldn't be a need to cover/mask for the best cut of meat on the deer. Rub it with olive oil, season how you like steak (salt, pepper, onion power, garlic powder, maybe a touch of red pepper is a good start), or use italian salad dressing as a marinade, cook on the grill until medium rare at most. The ends will cook a bit more, which is good for those that don't like their meat red (ie, picky kids, etc).

We're in the middle of a blizzard and I just cooked the loins out of my 9 year old son's first buck last night.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Hard to beat a classic.

Bring meat to room temp. Salt to taste. Melt a good dob of butter in hot cast iron. Put in meat. Sear to a good crust on each side, careful not to overcook. Remove meat from pan. Put a healthy splash of good red wine (I like cab sav or shiraz) in pan to deglaze. When all the wine is bubbly add a couple tablespoons of current jelly (or huckleberry like I did the other night). Stir til sauce starts to thicken. Turn off the heat and spoon sauce over the rested meat. Serve with whatever sides you like and drink the rest of the red wine with your dinner.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For the love of god, don't cut it up before you cook it

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Salt and pepper, pan fry in butter. Anything else messes up what nature provided.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You guys are making me hungry.

BTW...I cook all my venison rare to black & blue.

-Ken

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Tag

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ryoushi
Hard to beat a classic.

Bring meat to room temp. Salt to taste. Melt a good dob of butter in hot cast iron. Put in meat. Sear to a good crust on each side, careful not to overcook. Remove meat from pan. Put a healthy splash of good red wine (I like cab sav or shiraz) in pan to deglaze. When all the wine is bubbly add a couple tablespoons of current jelly (or huckleberry like I did the other night). Stir til sauce starts to thicken. Turn off the heat and spoon sauce over the rested meat. Serve with whatever sides you like and drink the rest of the red wine with your dinner.

Very nice, ryoushi. This is pretty much my go to for tenderloin. Never overcook. Just destroys the natural flavor, IMHO. I've done many like this. Never tried the jelly, though. I usually just add a bit of fresh herbs if I have them and maybe thicken the sauce a bit, but not much. Spoon sauce over rested meat. Incredible. Yeah, open another good bottle, too. grin

Gonna have to try the jelly idea.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (16penny, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 50 invisible), 2,217 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,604
Posts18,454,831
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.