Hop To
Page 2 of 31 1 2 3 4 30 31
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
Looking at the stock, it sure looks a lot like the one on the Stocky's Stocks website - the AG Composites stock??

Link:

https://www.stockysstocks.com/stock...-carbon-fiber-classic-sporter-stock.html

According to AG composites site they are making the stock that Barrett will use.

http://agcomposites.com/faq-2/

"What kind of rifle stocks does AG Composites manufacture?

We manufacture stocks for the Remington 700, the M1A / M14 and OEM stocks for Barrett Firearms and Bergara Rifles."

If they are using the Carbon All Terrain they list 25-27 ounces. I've heard Melvin say his stocks are 17 ounces finished. Not sure if that is short or long action. I would assume he was stating the weight of lightest one.

The Barrett stock looks a little thicker in the wrist just from the picture but it's hard to tell much from just a photo.

Regardless,the Barrett may be a great rifle,and it looks like they got the twists right. It would be great to have full disclosure as to what action and barrels,trigger, they are using.I hope they do very well with them ,but I would like to know a lot more before plunking down the cash.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by adam32

Something fishy going on over at Barrett...????

Ha!

Good one man.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Will they work for long range though?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Will they work for long range though?

No way....

Long range rifles start at 10 pounds or so...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
3" mag box on the short action and correct twist rates!! I wonder what street price will be.

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
And they show a LH 6.5 CM wow !!!

Bought my LH Forbes 7 08 from Barrett

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Could be a real winner.

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
Looking at the stock, it sure looks a lot like the one on the Stocky's Stocks website - the AG Composites stock??

Link:

https://www.stockysstocks.com/stock...-carbon-fiber-classic-sporter-stock.html

According to AG composites site they are making the stock that Barrett will use.

http://agcomposites.com/faq-2/

"What kind of rifle stocks does AG Composites manufacture?

We manufacture stocks for the Remington 700, the M1A / M14 and OEM stocks for Barrett Firearms and Bergara Rifles."

As for the stock, I've had my hands on the Bergara Premier Stalker, which as mentioned, uses the AG Composites stock. The Bergara rep wouldn't let on to who was making the stocks, but if I'd had to guess, I would have Hi-Tech Specialties. That said, the AG Composite felt very much like the Hi-Tech in my hands.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I would like to know their plans for caliber offerings and the barrel maker.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is there an aftermarket 3" box for the Kimber short action?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Anyone seen or heard a street price yet?

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Is there an aftermarket 3" box for the Kimber short action?

Wow.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
RBO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Anyone seen or heard a street price yet?

https://barrett.net/2017%20Fieldcraft%20Retail.pdf

Cheaper than I was expecting from Barrett.

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I recently fired a Fieldcraft in 6.5 Cm with four of the cheaper factory loads and they all shot to the same poa/poi except one load. 3 shot groups ranged from .80"-.42" at 100 meters. The optic was a Leupold 2.5x8 vxi.
It balanced well and bolt manipulation/feeding was very smooth.

"The world breaks everyone,and afterward, some are strong at the broken places"
Hemingway
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Anybody here the comment on the video about plans for a 5.56 and a rimfire? That's pretty neat. He mentioned a trimmed down action, and I couldn't quite tell if he was saying the 5.56 would have a trimmed down action or if he was talking about the rimfire. If they take that light rifle and offer a mini version in 5.56 -- boy howdy!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'm going to call Barrett about the end of next week and see if I can find out any details about the Fieldcraft, they are gone to Shot right now. I'll let ya'll know what I find out.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I can answer some of these questions with certainty.

Yes the project is definitely a GO. The first rifles are shipping within a few weeks (sorry to be vague on the time). The first rifles are shipping to the distributor Bill Hicks so dealers should look there to get them first.

The stock is the exact form of the Forbes rifle and the barreled action is the same exact footprint. That is about the end of the of the similarities. The action has several differences as it went through an almost blank-slate engineering exercise.

Feeding has been perfected. The action has seen several enhancements to assure reliable and smooth function in adverse conditions.

The bolt handle is attached by a very novel method that does not use weld or solder so there is no chance of it coming off or affecting the heat treat of the bolt body by application of heat. The bolt handle has also been extended very slightly for better hand clearance from the scope ocular.

The safety lever has been trimmed in height to tuck in close the the stock and rear tang of the recover. Less chance of inadvertent movement of the safety and bloody thumb from recoil. The safety is a simple and reliable two-position.

The scope mount interface has changed by the eleimination of the lower rear bridge height. The rear ring mounting surface is now co-radial to the front ring mounting surface. Much higher likelihood of perfect ring alignment. Mount screw holes are larger 8-40 size to combat issues with a light rifle and possible heavy recoil. Talley makes all the sizes of one piece mounts for Fieldcraft.

The 308 win weighs five pounds flat. Most importantly it SHOOTS.... I have shot it to 500 yards and it is easily sub-MOA for three shot strings. The Creedmoor is amazing with any ammo you blindly grab off the shelf.

Last edited by Tennessee; 01/21/17.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Thanks Tennessee you answered all my questions have money in hand want a LH 6.5 Creedmoor bad!! Please update us on when you think it will be available.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Tennessee
I can answer some of these questions with certainty.

Yes the project is definitely a GO. The first rifles are shipping within a few weeks (sorry to be vague on the time). The first rifles are shipping to the distributor Bill Hicks so dealers should look there to get them first.

The stock is the exact form of the Forbes rifle and the barreled action is the same exact footprint. That is about the end of the of the similarities. The action has several differences as it went through an almost blank-slate engineering exercise.

Feeding has been perfected. The action has seen several enhancements to assure reliable and smooth function in adverse conditions.

The bolt handle is attached by a very novel method that does not use weld or solder so there is no chance of it coming off or affecting the heat treat of the bolt body by application of heat. The bolt handle has also been extended very slightly for better hand clearance from the scope ocular.

The safety lever has been trimmed in height to tuck in close the the stock and rear tang of the recover. Less chance of inadvertent movement of the safety and bloody thumb from recoil. The safety is a simple and reliable two-position.

The scope mount interface has changed by the eleimination of the lower rear bridge height. The rear ring mounting surface is now co-radial to the front ring mounting surface. Much higher likelihood of perfect ring alignment. Mount screw holes are larger 8-40 size to combat issues with a light rifle and possible heavy recoil. Talley makes all the sizes of one piece mounts for Fieldcraft.

The 308 win weighs five pounds flat. Most importantly it SHOOTS.... I have shot it to 500 yards and it is easily sub-MOA for three shot strings. The Creedmoor is amazing with any ammo you blindly grab off the shelf.

Thank you for the info. Can you answer a couple more questions please?

You say the stock is the same footprint. One desirable feature of a Forbes is that Melvin's stock was so light that they could use larger barrel profiles than the Kimber Montana.
Can you give the give the muzzle dia of the 7-08-308,or tell me if it is any larger than a 7-08-308 Kimber Montana?

Just looking at the action it looks to have milled flats,similar to what someone would do to lighten a 700 action. You say the Fieldcraft has the same footprint. Is it actually lighter than a Forbes -NULA via the milled flats or is that more cosmetic in nature to distinguish it from a Forbes?

Does the safety lock the bolt?

Is the action individually pillar bedded, or bedded to a slave action like a Kimber?

Is there any accuracy guarantee? I do have very good confidence in Barrett regardless.

What is the mag box size for long and short actions?

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 01/21/17.
Page 2 of 31 1 2 3 4 30 31

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

701 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 10ring1, 66 invisible), 3,109 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,485
Posts18,451,946
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.