WWP53D
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Originally Posted by SKane
If someone procures a Fieldcraft and also has a Kimber Montana, would love to see a side-by-side photo.
I'm particularly interested in the forearm length of the Fieldcraft - hopefully it's 1.5-2" longer than the Montana.

I'll do it for you Tuesday. We have a 308 on the shelf.

Thank you so much. When you post that info can you post a few more details please? Some of these questions you may not be able to fully answer but I would greatly appreciate any insight.

1.Can you tell if this is a 700 action that has had metal removed to lighten it,or is it something entirely different? How does the action and bolt diameter compare to a model 700, Forbes action,or Kimber Action?

2.Is there any information about the barrel manufacturer? Is it a recessed target crown or what?

3. I would love a picture of the bolt face to see the position of the extractor. I am interested to know if this one will have a high ejection like a Forbes or more of a 90 degree ejection.

4. Can you get us an actual weight?

I would also love to hear your impression of handling and how it compares to the Forbes and Kimber. It looks like the stock is more reminiscent of the Forbes. When this rifle was first announced,the impression I got was that Barrett was taking over the production of the Forbes rifle. Now it isn't clear what,if any, similarities the Barrett has with the Forbes.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

Thank you so much. When you post that info can you post a few more details please? Some of these questions you may not be able to fully answer but I would greatly appreciate any insight.

1.Can you tell if this is a 700 action that has had metal removed to lighten it,or is it something entirely different? How does the action and bolt diameter compare to a model 700, Forbes action,or Kimber Action?

2.Is there any information about the barrel manufacturer? Is it a recessed target crown or what?

3. I would love a picture of the bolt face to see the position of the extractor. I am interested to know if this one will have a high ejection like a Forbes or more of a 90 degree ejection.

I would also love to hear your impression of handling and how it compares to the Forbes and Kimber. It looks like the stock is more reminiscent of the Forbes. When this rifle was first announced,the impression I got was that Barrett was taking over the production of the Forbes rifle. Now it isn't clear what,if any, similarities the Barrett has with the Forbes.

I can answer these.

1. It is not a 700 action. The diameter and footprint is the same as a Forbes.

2. The barrels are all profiled, chambered, threaded and crowned in-house by Barrett. The actual straight-cylinder blank supplier may vary by caliber based on performance or capabilities of different suppliers. They are all precision honed and button-rifled to date. The crown is a typical radius faced, 45 degree edge break as seen on most hunting rifles. Every one I have shot performs beyond my expectations.

3. The extractor location is the same as Forbes. It works.

4. The 308 weighs five pounds flat with the 21" non-threaded barrel. As you know the weight will vary slightly by caliber and barrel length.

The stock is EXACTLY the same stock design that was on the Forbes. The action footprint is the same. That is about the end of the similarities. Re-designed from the inside out.

Last edited by Tennessee; 04/16/17.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Tennessee
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

I can answer these.

1. It is not a 700 action. The diameter and footprint is the same as a Forbes.

2. The barrels are all profiled, chambered, threaded and crowned in-house by Barrett. The actual straight-cylinder blank supplier may vary by caliber based on performance or capabilities of different suppliers. They are all precision honed and button-rifled to date. The crown is a typical radius faced, 45 degree edge break as seen on most hunting rifles. Every one I have shot performs beyond my expectations.

3. The extractor location is the same as Forbes. It works.

4. The 308 weighs five pounds flat with the 21" non-threaded barrel. As you know the weight will vary slightly by caliber and barrel length.

The stock is EXACTLY the same stock design that was on the Forbes. The action footprint is the same. That is about the end of the similarities. Re-designed from the inside out.

Thank you very much. I will be buying one in 6.5 Creedmoor.

a couple other question please.Did you have any issues with ejected cases hitting the windage knob on that Nightforce? I had some issues with this on my Forbes but I haven't determined yet if mine is an extractor position issue or spring tension issue,or something else.

I have picatinny rails for my Forbes. Does the Barrett use the same hole spacing so mine would fit,or if not is there any plan to offer a picatinny rail? The only reason I would want a rail is more versatility in ER on some scopes.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 04/16/17.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have used the NXS 2.5-10x24 mounted in 30mm LOW mounts on both 308 and 6.5 Creedmoor and I cannot remember one failure to eject.

The 308 I fired extensively from a bench and in some hot-and-heavy South Texas hunting.

The Creed was all on a flat range from the bench and various unsupported positions.

Runs like a top.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The Fieldcraft does NOT use the same mounting holes. All the screws are the larger/stronger 8-40 size.

The front receiver ring has three mounting holes giving adding flexibility of front mount placement to be ideal with different dimension scopes.

The rear receiver bridge is also corradial with the front meaning the top mounting surface is like one uninterrupted surface. The mounts are Fieldcraft specific.

Picatinny rails are available.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Tennessee
The Fieldcraft does NOT use the same mounting holes. All the screws are the larger/stronger 8-40 size.

The front receiver ring has three mounting holes giving adding flexibility of front mount placement to be ideal with different dimension scopes.

The rear receiver bridge is also corradial with the front meaning the top mounting surface is like one uninterrupted surface. The mounts are Fieldcraft specific.

Picatinny rails are available.

Sounds good!

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I would like to see these chambered in 284 Win.

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Have they figured out how to produce a lefty yet?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Aviator
I would like to see these chambered in 284 Win.

Don't hold your breath on that one. grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have to disagree with the stock being the exact as the forbes...I could be wrong but respectfully disagree with that statement....if you look at the early forbes rifles they have Melvins stock on them as time went by and Melvin parted ways with forbes you will notice the cheekpiece and bottom of the grip changed from the earlier ones....yes the later stock style does match the current stock on the barrett rifle but not the earlier forbes rifles

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by gene270
....yes the later stock style does match the current stock on the barrett rifle but not the earlier forbes rifles

It seems we agree. They are indeed the exact stock that was on later Forbes rifles.

The one you may have seen that looks different merely has sharper edges around the base of the grip and the edge of the cheek piece. I prefer the more radiused edge as it tends to get damaged less.

Last edited by Tennessee; 04/16/17.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
what I was trying to get across is it appears that not all forbes rifles had Melvin Forbes stocks on them as advertised...nor does the barrett rifle

they seem to shoot well though

Last edited by gene270; 04/16/17.
RBO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Can Someone post a pic of one of these Forbes rifles that has the same stock as the Barrett? The Forbes stock I have is different than the Barrett.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
If i were in the market for a blind magazine rifle I would try one of these in .300 Win. (When they build them) ....I bet these rifles are damn good shooters.......Hb

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Do these non-checkered stocks have some kind of rough textured finish or are they slick as a moles azz?....I dont think Im a fan of this slick looking stock....Hb

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Haven't held the Barrett, but if they mimic the Forbes they will be very textured.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Very good, I hate a slick rifle stock...I had a Remington 700 Custom KS Mountain Rifle that had an extremely slick stock, the colder the weather the slicker it got....Ha!..........Hb

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
From the looks of them, they don't appear overly textured. Here is the website of the company that makes them

http://agcomposites.com/

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by darrenk75b
From the looks of them, they don't appear overly textured. Here is the website of the company that makes them

http://agcomposites.com/

A friend of mine just picked up a Bergara HMR which apparently has an AG stock. I was expecting tupperware but was impressed at how ridgid the stock was. The paint was speckled like a McM but with a much glossier/smoother finish.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Page 7 of 31 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 30 31

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

145 members (338reddog, 444Matt, 257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, 358WCF, 1_deuce, 20 invisible), 1,715 guests, and 1,071 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,184
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.