D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I put your 3X Leupold on mine DF, and will shoot 300 gr Partitions out to 400 yards with ease. cool

Post a photo, or text me one and I'll post it.

DF

OOPS, I have to wait DF, I had a pair of QD rings on hand but they were matte finish, I did briefly install them to check for bolt travel clearance, they're off at the 'smiths getting gloss blued to match the shiny 3X I bought from you.

The steel Warne weaver type bases are matte and match nicely with the action finish, they are also the lowest base I had on hand affording a very nice sight plane to the irons, plenty of clearance, and because the stock BobnNH gave me is a low comb, I need to keep scope and base ring set-up as low as possible.

laugh

Never figured you such a stickler for asthetics... grin

When you get it put together, we'll get it posted... cool

DF

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
With that low comb I would go old school low tech and use Weaver low rings and a 3X Leopold.

Did someone say this already?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Yep, each to his/her own experience. My son has the Zeiss Victory 1.5-6x2mm on his 375 Ruger and loves it. I have a few of these on other medium bore calibers and shall be mounting one on a 375 Ruger also.

I have had several different scopes in the past on various 375s and 416s. These have included 2.5 Compact, old type 3x, 1-4, 1.5-5, and straight 4x Leupolds; 1.75-6 & 2-8 Pentax LightSeekers, 2-8 Burris Pos-Lock. I never had an issue with any.

I have also used the 1.5-6x42mm Kahles on a 416 Ruger, still actually on it. But, will soon be replacing with a Zeiss HT 1.1-4x24 with a #54 illuminated reticle which is currently on a 375 Ruger. Another 375 has a 1.1-4x24 Kahles, my wife's AR-15 and Kimber Montana 7mm-08 have the same scope.

I like straight tubed 30mm scopes with 24mm objectives. I have 1.1-4s (2nd Focal Plane illuminated and 1st Focal Plane non-illuminated) & 1-6s illuminated & not. These are Kahles, Zeiss, Schmidt & Bender, Swarvoski and Meopta scopes which I consider very good glass & coatings, and to me are very useful on sub-375 calibers also.

But, the 42mm objectives without a doubt hold an advantage to my eye when it is getting dark in a timbered valley.
I also can see under certain circumstances where the illumination could be an asset.
And I say this as a moose hunter not a cat hunter.

Hunting circumstances can definitely differ.

Originally Posted by ldmay375
That Zeiss with FFP #4 is one of my favorite scopes, and not only for 375s.

Large scopes, reportedly, have more mass, thus more stuff to shake loose with big boomers. The .375 H&H isn't that big a boomer and these Victory scopes seem to hold together pretty well.

The straight tube Leupolds are pretty tough, the 1.5-5x20 is a classic for this application.

The 42mm objective plus alpha glass quality gives the Victory a leg up on dim light shooting, like big cats over bait.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by BobinNH
With that low comb I would go old school low tech and use Weaver low rings and a 3X Leopold.

gunner is "low tech" even when he's innovating... laugh

He's working on the high end of low tech, no doubt, "old school" notwithstanding... grin

DF

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Large scopes, reportedly, have more mass, thus more stuff to shake loose with big boomers. The .375 H&H isn't that big a boomer and these Victory scopes seem to hold together pretty well.

The straight tube Leupolds are pretty tough, the 1.5-5x20 is a classic for this application.

The 42mm objective plus alpha glass quality gives the Victory a leg up on dim light shooting, like big cats over bait.

DF

That's why one should purchase large scopes that are made to withstand substantial recoil.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by jwp475

DF

That's why one should purchase large scopes that are made to withstand substantial recoil.

It may be hard to put together a list, best to worse, on large scopes withstanding recoil, as most reports are anecdotal, not statistical based on adequate numbers.

I would appreciate input from those who have had failures and with which scopes.

I know fixed power scopes are tough, less stuff to go wrong, but everyone doesn't use fixed power; a lot of shooters prefer variables.

So, what are the best choices, big scopes on big boomers...

DF

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

DF

It may be hard to put together a list, best to worse, on large scopes withstanding recoil, as most reports are anecdotal, not statistical based on adequate numbers.

I would appreciate input from those who have had failures and with which scopes.

I know fixed power scopes are tough, less stuff to go wrong, but everyone doesn't use fixed power; a lot of shooters prefer variables.

So, what are the best choices, big scopes on big boomers...

DF

It's not as hard as you may think. Any large scope rated for a 50 BMG will have no trouble standing up to a little ol 375. Book it.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Which ones are .50 BMG rated?

DF

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

S&B, Nightforce as well as others. Google foo is your friend.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I use S&B scopes for all of my serious work including 416's & 458 Lott. Great optics and awesome lowlight ability, coupled with outstanding reliability.

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The Victory should hold its own with S&B, Swaro, etc.

The .50 BMG that I shot wore a Nightforce.

Those big, heavy target scopes aren't my first choice for a hunting gun.

DF

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

DF

I would not include Swarovski in the tough scope category. I'd go with a Hendshold over a Zies for toughness.
You do know that Nightforce makes a 1X4X24 and a 2X10X42 don't you?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Nightforce scopes are rated for 1200G forces both positive and negative.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

DF

I would not include Swarovski in the tough scope category. I'd go with a Hendshold over a Zies for toughness.

Can't get too excited about NF scopes.

I don't like their busy reticles; they're big and heavy.

I'm a hunter, not a target shooter.

I like simple stuff.

DF

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

DF

Can't get too excited about NF scopes.

I don't like their busy reticles; they're big and heavy.

I'm a hunter, not a target shooter.

I like simple stuff.

DF

The 1x4 and the 2X10 are not big scopes and they have many reticle to choose from. I like reliability that that I can can on no matter the conditions and I like great low light ability in my hunting scopes. That is why I use SXB. If I have to compromise it will be on size not reliability and optical performance.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Will check'em out.

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
They should. wink

10-4 Buddy.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I put your 3X Leupold on mine DF, and will shoot 300 gr Partitions out to 400 yards with ease. cool

Post a photo, or text me one and I'll post it.

DF

OOPS, I have to wait DF, I had a pair of QD rings on hand but they were matte finish, I did briefly install them to check for bolt travel clearance, they're off at the 'smiths getting gloss blued to match the shiny 3X I bought from you.

The steel Warne weaver type bases are matte and match nicely with the action finish, they are also the lowest base I had on hand affording a very nice sight plane to the irons, plenty of clearance, and because the stock BobnNH gave me is a low comb, I need to keep scope and base ring set-up as low as possible.

laugh

Never figured you such a stickler for asthetics... grin

When you get it put together, we'll get it posted... cool

DF

LOL, 10-rahjah DF. cool

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

Yes, I've got the old style weavers on a pair of pre-64 FWT rifles in 243 ans 270, went QD's with the 375 because I swapped the front sight out with one that would put the solid loads dead on at 50 yards, a BBW #13 300 gr solid at 2700 has to be a stone penetrator Bob, three shots went dead on and iirc a bit over an inch at 50.

Plus, I DID NOT want to file on BSA's old factory rollover rear sight on that pre-64 375. shocked grin

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

gunner is "low tech" even when he's innovating... laugh

He's working on the high end of low tech, no doubt, "old school" notwithstanding... grin

DF

My 'short bus' studies were spose ta bee hour seacrit. blush laugh

Trump Won!
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (1lessdog, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,826 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,341
Posts18,468,725
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.