Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
The Leupold VX6 Firedot 3-18x50 came on sell for $899 and I purchased it even though I have no unscoped rifle. Too good a deal to pass up, as I considered it previously out of reach for me.

My dilemma. What to do.

I have 300wsm that currently has a VX3-L 3-10x50 CDS. I am leaning to put the VX-6 on it to make it a "longer range" gun.

I am presently deciding on a 375. I want a stainless synthetic. I like the Savage Bear Hunter in 375Ruger and the new Weatherby Mark 5 in 375 H&H.

I have a VX3 on my 7-08.

Trying to decide which rifle (7-08 or 375) gets the VX-3L with the 50mm lens and which gets the VX-3x40mm.

I don't use the 7-08 much anymore, but I will use the 375 even less. Also, I don't see me shooting the 375 at long distances.

What is the opinion of the proper scope for the 375?

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a Leupold VX3 2.5-8x36mm on my 375 Ruger Guide Gun with Alaskan Arms quick detach rings. Love this combo as if I get into the thick stuff I can detach scope and use open sights. I have on order a NECG Ruger Ghost Ring Peep sight that goes where my back scope ring attaches on the Ruger's integral mount that attaches like the scope rings. Can detach and re-install without change of POA.

Last edited by 700xcr; 12/03/16.

Nothing like a Remington 700xcr.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hi on my 375 WY I have had an old long tube Leupold 4x on it for over 20 years, and on my new CZ 550 375 H&H I put a newer version of the same scope on the rifle. They have not given me any trouble. In fact the fastest rifle to sight in was my CZ 550 in 375. Randy

US Army Ft Carson, Co 1976 to 1979
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Put a Leupold 2.5x on my Whitworth .375 H&H.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Seems to me that a low powered variable or a nice tough fixed power scope is the way to go with a .375, but that's just my preference.

I've got a 1.5-5x Leupold on mine now. In the past it's had a 2.5x Leupold, and also an older 2-7x Redfield. I've used it on bears from 10-15 feet, out to over 300 yards.

Regards, Guy

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The 375 has more range potential than most safari calibers, so i think the scope should take advantage of that. A 3-9, 2.5-8, something in that range allows 300 yard shots, but can still handle close-range opportunities.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Sorta pricy but a great .375 scope; I got this one used in a trade. It's a Zeiss Victory 1.5-6x42 T*.

A Fire contributor with Safari experience commented on what a great cat gun this would be. 21" fluted M-70 Classic with NECG irons.

I have a Leupold 1.5-5x20 in QD rings as backup.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
That Zeiss with FFP #4 is one of my favorite scopes, and not only for 375s.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
My .375 has a Leupold 1.5x20 in Leupold QD mounts/rings, with an old Leupold 4x pre zero'ed in another set of rings. Holds zero, scopes are interchangeable.

I really don't understand why some folks feel the need for Hubble telescopes on rifles such as this, but it if makes them happy I'm all for them.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I put your 3X Leupold on mine DF, and will shoot 300 gr Partitions out to 400 yards with ease. cool

Trump Won!
IC B3

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
The Whitworth .375 H&H...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've had a bunch of different scopes on my .375's, up to 3-9x and down to 2.5x. Right now I have a 3x20 Leupold Big Bore, the new version of the original 3x, which is actually about a 3-1/2x.

Have never had any difficulty killing African animals down to bushbuck size with scopes in the 3x range out to 250-300 yards. However, the lone 3-9x I used fell apart quickly, and it was NOT a cheap scope, but a pretty expensive Euro-scope, one of many examples of why I tend to pick fixed-power scopes for rifles with more than average recoil.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Biebs
The 375 has more range potential than most safari calibers, so i think the scope should take advantage of that. A 3-9, 2.5-8, something in that range allows 300 yard shots, but can still handle close-range opportunities.

I agree Biebs. I don't know if it's just my eyes, but a 3x or 4x just isn't going to cut it at "400" yards as some of these guys can shoot that far with ease with those scopes. Not me. The x hair would blot out the said critter at that distance and I'd be wishing and praying to hit somewhere, hopefully hair. That's just not the way I hunt or try to place shots. I ran a Zeiss conquest 3.5-10x44 on mine and it will work near and far set up that way. That scope is still running like a champ too, but now it's on my 7 pound 338. We'll see if the recoil of that rifle finally puts it down. Only time and rounds downrange will tell.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
The Whitworth .375 H&H...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Beautiful Whitworth there buddy. I have always liked those. I had a chance to buy one a couple months ago. It might have been that rifles twin.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Mine has a Swarovski Z6i 1.7x10 this is the nicest scope I own
I have it on a Blaser r93 with QD mount and swap it back and forth to my 222 barrel for varmints.

Last edited by ssphoger; 12/04/16.

Rockhounding and varmint huntin
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by ldmay375

Large scopes, reportedly, have more mass, thus more stuff to shake loose with big boomers. The .375 H&H isn't that big a boomer and these Victory scopes seem to hold together pretty well.

The straight tube Leupolds are pretty tough, the 1.5-5x20 is a classic for this application.

The 42mm objective plus alpha glass quality gives the Victory a leg up on dim light shooting, like big cats over bait.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by gunner500
I put your 3X Leupold on mine DF, and will shoot 300 gr Partitions out to 400 yards with ease. cool

Post a photo, or text me one and I'll post it.

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

OOPS, I have to wait DF, I had a pair of QD rings on hand but they were matte finish, I did briefly install them to check for bolt travel clearance, they're off at the 'smiths getting gloss blued to match the shiny 3X I bought from you.

The steel Warne weaver type bases are matte and match nicely with the action finish, they are also the lowest base I had on hand affording a very nice sight plane to the irons, plenty of clearance, and because the stock BobnNH gave me is a low comb, I need to keep scope and base ring set-up as low as possible.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Nice set-up there Elk, those old Weavers hold your scope steady on that 375 I may as well forget having any trouble with them on my 243 and 270 FWT's. smile

Trump Won!
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
They should. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

DF

OOPS, I have to wait DF, I had a pair of QD rings on hand but they were matte finish, I did briefly install them to check for bolt travel clearance, they're off at the 'smiths getting gloss blued to match the shiny 3X I bought from you.

The steel Warne weaver type bases are matte and match nicely with the action finish, they are also the lowest base I had on hand affording a very nice sight plane to the irons, plenty of clearance, and because the stock BobnNH gave me is a low comb, I need to keep scope and base ring set-up as low as possible.

laugh

Never figured you such a stickler for asthetics... grin

When you get it put together, we'll get it posted... cool

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
With that low comb I would go old school low tech and use Weaver low rings and a 3X Leopold.

Did someone say this already?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Yep, each to his/her own experience. My son has the Zeiss Victory 1.5-6x2mm on his 375 Ruger and loves it. I have a few of these on other medium bore calibers and shall be mounting one on a 375 Ruger also.

I have had several different scopes in the past on various 375s and 416s. These have included 2.5 Compact, old type 3x, 1-4, 1.5-5, and straight 4x Leupolds; 1.75-6 & 2-8 Pentax LightSeekers, 2-8 Burris Pos-Lock. I never had an issue with any.

I have also used the 1.5-6x42mm Kahles on a 416 Ruger, still actually on it. But, will soon be replacing with a Zeiss HT 1.1-4x24 with a #54 illuminated reticle which is currently on a 375 Ruger. Another 375 has a 1.1-4x24 Kahles, my wife's AR-15 and Kimber Montana 7mm-08 have the same scope.

I like straight tubed 30mm scopes with 24mm objectives. I have 1.1-4s (2nd Focal Plane illuminated and 1st Focal Plane non-illuminated) & 1-6s illuminated & not. These are Kahles, Zeiss, Schmidt & Bender, Swarvoski and Meopta scopes which I consider very good glass & coatings, and to me are very useful on sub-375 calibers also.

But, the 42mm objectives without a doubt hold an advantage to my eye when it is getting dark in a timbered valley.
I also can see under certain circumstances where the illumination could be an asset.
And I say this as a moose hunter not a cat hunter.

Hunting circumstances can definitely differ.

Large scopes, reportedly, have more mass, thus more stuff to shake loose with big boomers. The .375 H&H isn't that big a boomer and these Victory scopes seem to hold together pretty well.

The straight tube Leupolds are pretty tough, the 1.5-5x20 is a classic for this application.

The 42mm objective plus alpha glass quality gives the Victory a leg up on dim light shooting, like big cats over bait.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by BobinNH
With that low comb I would go old school low tech and use Weaver low rings and a 3X Leopold.

gunner is "low tech" even when he's innovating... laugh

He's working on the high end of low tech, no doubt, "old school" notwithstanding... grin

DF

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

DF

That's why one should purchase large scopes that are made to withstand substantial recoil.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by jwp475

DF

That's why one should purchase large scopes that are made to withstand substantial recoil.

It may be hard to put together a list, best to worse, on large scopes withstanding recoil, as most reports are anecdotal, not statistical based on adequate numbers.

I would appreciate input from those who have had failures and with which scopes.

I know fixed power scopes are tough, less stuff to go wrong, but everyone doesn't use fixed power; a lot of shooters prefer variables.

So, what are the best choices, big scopes on big boomers...

DF

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

DF

It may be hard to put together a list, best to worse, on large scopes withstanding recoil, as most reports are anecdotal, not statistical based on adequate numbers.

I would appreciate input from those who have had failures and with which scopes.

I know fixed power scopes are tough, less stuff to go wrong, but everyone doesn't use fixed power; a lot of shooters prefer variables.

So, what are the best choices, big scopes on big boomers...

DF

It's not as hard as you may think. Any large scope rated for a 50 BMG will have no trouble standing up to a little ol 375. Book it.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Which ones are .50 BMG rated?

DF

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

S&B, Nightforce as well as others. Google foo is your friend.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I use S&B scopes for all of my serious work including 416's & 458 Lott. Great optics and awesome lowlight ability, coupled with outstanding reliability.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The Victory should hold its own with S&B, Swaro, etc.

The .50 BMG that I shot wore a Nightforce.

Those big, heavy target scopes aren't my first choice for a hunting gun.

DF

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

DF

I would not include Swarovski in the tough scope category. I'd go with a Hendshold over a Zies for toughness.
You do know that Nightforce makes a 1X4X24 and a 2X10X42 don't you?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Nightforce scopes are rated for 1200G forces both positive and negative.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

DF

I would not include Swarovski in the tough scope category. I'd go with a Hendshold over a Zies for toughness.

Can't get too excited about NF scopes.

I don't like their busy reticles; they're big and heavy.

I'm a hunter, not a target shooter.

I like simple stuff.

DF

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

DF

Can't get too excited about NF scopes.

I don't like their busy reticles; they're big and heavy.

I'm a hunter, not a target shooter.

I like simple stuff.

DF

The 1x4 and the 2X10 are not big scopes and they have many reticle to choose from. I like reliability that that I can can on no matter the conditions and I like great low light ability in my hunting scopes. That is why I use SXB. If I have to compromise it will be on size not reliability and optical performance.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Will check'em out.

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
They should. wink

10-4 Buddy.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

DF

laugh

Never figured you such a stickler for asthetics... grin

When you get it put together, we'll get it posted... cool

DF

LOL, 10-rahjah DF. cool

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

Yes, I've got the old style weavers on a pair of pre-64 FWT rifles in 243 ans 270, went QD's with the 375 because I swapped the front sight out with one that would put the solid loads dead on at 50 yards, a BBW #13 300 gr solid at 2700 has to be a stone penetrator Bob, three shots went dead on and iirc a bit over an inch at 50.

Plus, I DID NOT want to file on BSA's old factory rollover rear sight on that pre-64 375. shocked grin

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

gunner is "low tech" even when he's innovating... laugh

He's working on the high end of low tech, no doubt, "old school" notwithstanding... grin

DF

My 'short bus' studies were spose ta bee hour seacrit. blush laugh

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

DF

Bout all of em new Redfield and up, 50's are braked and kick less than most 12 ga. shotguns, the fuggin brake blast phenomenal.

Trump Won!
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

DF

Bout all of em new Redfield and up, 50's are braked and kick less than most 12 ga. shotguns, the fuggin brake blast phenomenal.

Incorrect, 50 BMG's are extremely tough on scopes.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s5pVya7eask

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Is there a force between the standard recoil back thrust vs the brake pull away?

Trump Won!
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Is there a force between the standard recoil back thrust vs the brake pull away?

Yes, that is why a scope must be rated for both positive and negative g forces, most are not. Further more there are a lot of dynamics going on other than simply recoil. Notice the 34mm tube S&B scope as well as the picatiny rail flexing in the video. Extremely tough on scopes. Sometimes scopes that aren't rated for such abuse work, but why chance it.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I've read that even airguns can be hard on scopes based on their unique vibration pattern.

DF

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Air Guns impart negative g forces on scopes.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Isn't the Loopy VXIII 1.5-5x20 perfect for this application?

That's where I would go.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
Isn't the Loopy VXIII 1.5-5x20 perfect for this application?

That's where I would go.

That a great power range, I like the newer VX-3 series, seems to be very popular with DG, big boomers. It has very high ratings, is light and compact.

Some like fixed power; I like the variable. To me 1.5X is great for offhand shooting, 5X is good for longer range shots. The 20mm objective lens may not the best in low light, but does pretty well.

DF

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Another Whitworth..with the only proper scope for a .375..

Leupy VX-III 1.5-5

[Linked Image]

Though I used a Leupy VX-II 1-4 to some good effect...

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'll go ahead and explode the thread by confessing one perched atop my .270 for years smile

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't think my pre-64 Win 375 H&H AI or my 416 Rigby kicks faster than a few of my ultra-light rifles. My 350RM 5.5lb rifle shooting 250 grain loads seems to kick fast as any.

I use a 1x4 Weaver on that 350.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I put a Leupold 1-4x with the Pig Plex reticle on my .375 Whelen Improved. Seems as solid as ever, even if I didn't use Talley rings, lapped with diamond dust.

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I put a Leupold VarX-III 2.5x8 on my 375 Ruger. It's an older friction type, it's a good one.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
I'll go ahead and explode the thread by confessing one perched atop my .270 for years smile

laugh

Now, that takes confidence in one's manhood to make such a confession... grin

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
laugh grin

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used a Leupold VX-III 1.5-6x32 on my .375 H&H for elk here in New Mexico and Colorado, and for plains game in Namibia--never wanted more scope. The .375 has gone down the road and, after a stint on a 9.3x74R, the 1.5-6 currently resides on a .338-06 Improved.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by mudhen
I used a Leupold VX-III 1.5-6x32 on my .375 H&H for elk here in New Mexico and Colorado, and for plains game in Namibia--never wanted more scope. The .375 has gone down the road and, after a stint on a 9.3x74R, the 1.5-6 currently resides on a .338-06 Improved.

It should guide those 210 gr partitions at 2800 fps with aplomb! wink

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

grin

Ben

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

I think that's a 1.75-6x32. I have the VX-3 and really like it.

The 32mm objective should be better than 20mm, gathering light when the sun's going down. But, I've not compared them side by side.

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I have that exact scope on a rebored pre-64 270 to 338-06, it was a pitiful rusted bore gun I bought out of Oregon, JES found some new clean steel at 330/338"

That rifle, scope and 210 NPT's at 2800 is a lightweight, accurate killing SOAB! i love it.

Pre-64 375's look better to me with a 20mm front. cool

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I have that exact scope on a rebored pre-64 270 to 338-06, it was a pitiful rusted bore gun I bought out of Oregon, JES found some new clean steel at 330/338"

That rifle, scope and 210 NPT's at 2800 is a lightweight, accurate killing SOAB! i love it.

Taking it from .270 to whatever is doing good... grin

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I think that's a 1.75-6x32. I have the VX-3 and really like it.

The 32mm objective should be better than 20mm, gathering light when the sun's going down. But, I've not compared them side by side.

DF

Senior moment! You are correct.

Ben

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

DF

Coulda had him sleeve it to a 25-06. eek laugh

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

DF

Come on, 270's fine coyote rifles. Just don't tell your buddies, especially if your work environment includes having group showers!

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by ingwe
Another Whitworth..with the only proper scope for a .375..

Leupy VX-III 1.5-5

[Linked Image]

Though I used a Leupy VX-II 1-4 to some good effect...

[Linked Image]

BTW Poobs, nice Buff and a hell of a Waterbuck.

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I love that buff photo, a real classic, even with the Poobs.

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
laugh, Silly me, I though that was one of Poobs' great grand children, didn't know they had chroma-color in those days. crazy shocked

Trump Won!
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
laugh, Silly me, I though that was one of Poobs' great grand children, didn't know they had chroma-color in those days. crazy shocked
You're gonna "smoke a wet turd in hell" with that comment Gunner.

Don't worry though,we have the best whiskey down here and you can have a shot or two while you're smoking the wet turd. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

I FART IN YOUR GENERAL DIRECTION!

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Damn Elk, busted, thought Gramps Poobs would have been in bed by now. laugh

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
It is too late for me to apologize, right Sir? whistle

Trump Won!
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Be grateful,he "just farted in your general direction,"could've been much worse. grin

Last edited by elkhunternm; 12/17/16.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yes, we have a hellish 20 mph wind straight outta the North at present, it may hit you instead. laugh

Trump Won!
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
I HOPE NOT! grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
laugh, OOPS, I forgot, we're in hell, no danger here. laugh

Trump Won!
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Yup,smokin' and drinkin' enjoying the good life.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Stoking the fireplace and enjoying the warm life here, damn, 22* with a 20 mph North wind bRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. grin

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
-23 degrees. With wind chill -31 degrees here.

Remember, if hell freezes the Minnesota Vikings are due to win the Super Bowl.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
12* here, with a zero windchill, fireplace insert has indoor temps at a toasty 75* in the hall, no CH/A kick on, I love sticking it to the electricity companies, good seasoned red oak firewood comes through again.

Trump Won!
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
It's 26* here.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
20 degrees on the porch here this morning. Probably time to go plug in the heat lamp in the well house...

Ben

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Be grateful,he "just farted in your general direction,"could've been much worse. grin

Yep if bubbly or lumpy... shocked

DF

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E

DF
You mean "sharted in your general direction." grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well 23 below is 22 degrees warmer than 68-69 winter. I'm sure that means global warming.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

DF
You mean "sharted in your general direction." grin

Geriatric propulsion/velocity probably not a serious threat, more of a sanitary/public health nuisance....💩

DF

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
To get back on topic, my old London Rigby .375 came to me with a Weaver K-3 and no apologies. The previous owner, a good friend, thought that a $25.00 scope would be the best choice if he dropped it out of a shooting brake on its head. He, as well as I, have had good success with the K-3 over the years, and it isn't hard to keep a couple of spares in the shooting kit. A $20,000 rifle and a $25.00 scope doesn't seem to make sense, but spares are a bit easier to afford.

Last edited by Lowgun; 01/18/17.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Seeing as targets of a 375 aren't exactly prairie dogs, the field of view is more important than high magnification. The compactness and higher durability under high recoil of a lower power scope, are also good advantages with a 375.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not as much a pro with the 375 as most of the others but I think:
Crisp clear optics
Long eye relief
Wide field of view
Heavy cross hairs
Able to handle recoil
Repeatable adjustments
Warranty
Good at low light

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Bugger
I'm not as much a pro with the 375 as most of the others but I think:
Crisp clear optics
Long eye relief
Wide field of view
Heavy cross hairs
Able to handle recoil
Repeatable adjustments
Warranty
Good at low light

Looks like all that spells, LEUPOLD! cool

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not a .375 but rather a 9.3

2.8 x 8 Leupold V3 with the B&C retical in lapped Ruger rings

286 grn. PPU ammo sighted zero at 100 falls into the next hash mark at 200 and the 3rd at 250

[Linked Image]

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
1x6 gen 2 razor on my 375 ruger. We were screwing around the other day shooting steel at 1000 with it

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by BradB
1x6 gen 2 razor on my 375 ruger. We were screwing around the other day shooting steel at 1000 with it

SWEET! What bullet were you using? I'm pleased as punch with a couple of black bears at over 300 yards on spot & stalk hunts.

Regards, Guy

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I was using the 270gr speers.
I have only tried those and the barnes x's both shot 4 shot groups with all bullets touching at 100.(Can't remember size off top of my head, so you get a general ideea!)
Gun is a push model 70, brux barrel, mcwoody stock.

And I have NO reason or use for a 375!!!!....not first or last I have said that about my gun builds. I realize I have a problem

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I feel like the 1.75-6x32 Varix-III on my .375 is nearly perfect. It had a 1.5-5x20 on it for a while, it it was moved to a quick handling 35 Whelen. I can't fathom of a situation that a 375 works welll for that a 6x32 isn't "enough". The 1.5-5x was great too,

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
All three of my 375's wear 1.5-5 Leupolds. Terry

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
very nice family portrait, Terry.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by toad
very nice family portrait, Terry.

Absolutely.

I have a Victory 1.5-6x42 on my .375 H&H. It's sorta big, but what a great, dim light scope. For back up, I have a 1.5-5x20 in QD's., which makes for a lighter gun.

DF

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a 1.5-6 Leupold on mine. The 6X came in handy when I needed to shoot an impala at a little over 300 meters. Otherwise, it pretty much stayed on 3X.

Ben

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Didn't know they made a 1.5-6..

Learn something new every day....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

It's a 1.75-6X. I make that mistake frequently--seems to be a recurring case of brain fart. blush

Ben

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

It's a 1.75-6X. I make that mistake frequently--seems to be a recurring case of brain fart. blush

Now, that's something, you apologizing to ingwe for brain farts... blush

Pot and kettle there, for sure... grin

BTW, the 1.75-6x32 is a great scope.

DF

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
[
Now, that's something, you apologizing to ingwe for brain farts... blush

Pot and kettle there, for sure... grin

DF

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Cold, hard facts can be painful... blush

DF

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Ingwe does not have "brain farts",he has "cranium flatulence."

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ingwe does not have "brain farts",he has "cranium flatulence."

Change that to cranial flatulence and I can use it....

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Ingwe does not have "brain farts",he has "cranial flatulence."

Done. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Ingwe does not have "brain farts",he has "cranial flatulence."

Done. wink

Confession?

DF

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Leupold V-6 1-6 power. 30mm tube. 1x you can easily see with both eyes open. You'll never use your open sights unless you just want to. 1.5x and above both eyes open may or may not work. 2x and above forget it. The 6x is plenty for anything longer range in a 375. Next choice any other good 1-6x scope (not 1-4x.)

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Picked up a nice, lightly used 3x Leupold not long ago. Am thinking that might make a real nice choice, on my .375 rifle...

Guy

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

213 members (10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 260Remguy, 1_deuce, 1minute, 300_savage, 31 invisible), 1,756 guests, and 1,066 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,054
Posts18,463,191
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.