Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
My plan is to mix venison with about 20-25% pork butt. Pork butt will add flavor and fat.
Suggestions are appreciated as this is my first attempt.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If I ask in advance, my local butcher will save me the fat trimmings from beef. I really prefer that to pork fat when making venison burger. 10% beef fat seems to work well for me. What I am trying to do, is keep the Venison flavor, but also keep the patty from falling apart on the grill
I have had success also with just adding in a couple of eggs, some fine diced onion, and bread crumbs. Just like when you make meat loaf.

Sam......

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My best advice is to try your idea and Sam's. Then you will know what you like. I like to mix a pound of bacon with Sam's and if you want to get an idea what it would be like, just fry a few strips of bacon and then fry a patty in the grease. Your mix just needs a 50/50 ratio, a cup and 1/2 buttermilk, to 10lbs mix, and the proper spices to make breakfast sausage to die for.

A PHD Won't help you if you don't know what the hell you are talking about.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I grind pork butt with my venison, 3 parts venison to 1 part pork butt. I also add meatloaf ingredients (egg, buttermilk, onion and breadcrumbs) to my burger before forming into patties for the grill. After grilling to taste as far a doneness I like to add one slice of american cheese and one slice of pepper jack, sea salt and coarse ground pepper and serve on a lightly toasted kaiser roll.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
what temps do you guys cook these pork/venison burgers too?

I would think with pork being involved you'd pretty much be limited to nothing rare or even medium rare. No?

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
OK, I'll throw another wrench in the mix. Read a blurb the other day about grinding your own burger from flap and running chunks of butter through the grinder with the meat. Freeze both first was the suggestion before sending it through the grinder.

Just thought I'd add my ounce of total confusion. grin

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by byc
what temps do you guys cook these pork/venison burgers too?

I would think with pork being involved you'd pretty much be limited to nothing rare or even medium rare. No?

David, I cook them on the grill usually. Hardwood coals, pecan, oak and hickory. Cook them until they are done. lol Usually Medium, with a little pink in the center.
If I cook them in a skillet inside, I butter the cast iron, and cook to medium. I don't like any burgers at rare or medium rare.
Venison burgers are always a trade off. You get usable meat, but you compromise in flavor and consistency. Hard to make a burger with no fat, and there is little fat in the cuts of venison I use for burger.

Sam......

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I have been using beef suet. If yer not familiar with beef suet, its the hard fat around the liver and kidneys. I get it from the local small shop butcher.

I like it because its very dry and pure. Its almost like crisco. I have used pork fat trimming from the butcher as well and found that it usually has a lot of sinewy crap with it. Pork butt is great too, but can make your project quite a bit more expensive. Depending on the batch, I feel suet adds a bit of beef flavor, which can be a good thing depending on the animal.

Like Local Dirt mentions, the trick to is to keep everything real cold.

Last edited by wildcat33; 12/05/16.
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I can buy pork butts locally for $.99 a pound. Already have 5 in the freezer so think we may try this for the first batch.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
About an hour ago I dropped off 60 lbs. of boneless deer meat at the butcher's. I do this every year.

Burger - I'm not a big fan of deer burgers, but I use this in chili, tacos, and spaghetti sauce.
30 lbs. boneless deer meat
Add 6 lbs. beef fat (20%)
Pack in 1 lbs. plastic tubes.

Hot Italian Sausage - this is great on the grill. I also use it in chili.
30 lbs. boneless deer meat
Add 6 lbs. pork fat (20%)
Packed in casings (1 lbs. coils) and freezer wrapped.

It usually costs me about $1.00 per pound.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Hot Italian Sausage

[Linked Image]

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I grind approx. equal amounts of beef brisket and venison together for my burger. Seems to work out well.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Brisket makes an excellent burger!! grin My fav!!

But please allow me to ask again.

If you add any pork products to the blend aren't you reluctant to serve the end grilled product at medium rare or even medium temps? Say 130-140? Or are the pig additives so small that they cook to safe consumption at 140?

Mike I already know your answer. Pork sushi!! wink

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I like to grind just straight venison. Mix in some cheese to make burgers later. Deer is good!

Ella

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I mix 30% bacon ends from the local butcher with my deer meat.

I also make deer sausage with 30% Boston butts bought on sale during the year for 99 cents per pound.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by byc

If you add any pork products to the blend aren't you reluctant to serve the end grilled product at medium rare or even medium temps? Say 130-140? Or are the pig additives so small that they cook to safe consumption at 140?
wink

USDA revised their guidelines to say pork roasts/steaks are done at 145 degrees. You know there is a factor of safety in that number.......

(they do say 160 degrees on ground products, but that is more to do with the sanitation practices in somebody's packing house incorporating 'bad stuff' into the meat, burger is always more risky because of more surface area to pick stuff up)

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like to grind pork roast and venison together for breakfast sausage, I don't know the fat percentage but it seems to work well.

For venison burger I buy beef trimmings locally and since it's mostly fast, I make it 80/20 preferring the taste of beef fat over pork fat.

Dave

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Guess I should update this thread. Shot a smallish buck about 9 days ago. Boned it out and ended up with 40 pounds of meat. Ground it up and tried it two ways:
1. About 88% deer with 12% beef fat
2. About 80% deer with 20% ground pork butt.

Fried up samples of each and everyone preferred #1, except for me, who considered it a wash.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How was is spiced?

It's very hard to order a grilled pork chop over a grilled Ribeye or T-bone so that influences my choice of fat to mix with my venison.

Dave

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
For burger I dont spice until the cooking starts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

163 members (338reddog, 2UP, 35, 44mc, 007FJ, 18 invisible), 1,501 guests, and 890 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,582
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.