Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Cattails had gotten thick on the banks of one of my ponds. It's been really dry (like 17" behind normal) so I bushhogged them all down. This may have been a mistake spreading them even more but it is what it is...for now until spring the banks will be clear.

When they start growing back, what's the best way to control them? I've done no research on options yet.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you can, burn them out.
We did it to a large area in the winter when there was about 2-3" of snow on the ground.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Spray them with Roundup, or glyphosate (generic of Roundup)

It kills cattails easy, and won't damage fish, frogs, etc.

If new ones come up, you spray them too.

The old fashioned way to remove cattails was to wade out and pull them up by the roots. You have to get all the root to stop them.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

The old fashioned way to remove cattails was to wade out and pull them up by the roots. You have to get all the root to stop them.

That's what we use. Anyone remember the old tree hugger guy on TV that used to eat cattails. Seems like his name was Eule Gibbons ?

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Spray sounds like the way to go when they start back.

I tried burning them a couple of years ago. If I ever burn cattails again there will be snow on the ground.... Burning "corn dogs" float...in the air. I only lost about 5 acres of bermuda.

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
I had them too. Cut them ,then sprayed round up on the fresh cuts. It's been over a year and they have not come back.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Aquacide stuff is good, if you want invest your life savings into weed control in your pond, most prefer generic roundup!!!!!!!

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Roundup isn't approved for spraying around water. Use Rodeo, or a generic equivalent. They have the same active ingredient as Roundup, but a different carrier.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

That's what we use. Anyone remember the old tree hugger guy on TV that used to eat cattails. Seems like his name was Eule Gibbons ?

Cattail root tastes like watermelon rind. The head makes crazy flammable fire starter.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
if possible flood them, raising the water level 3 or 4 inches for a period of time will drown them.
for immediate results use rodeo as others have said, not roundup!

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We have a piece of I beam with chains on each end that we pull across the pond to break the stalks. It does a decent job on the other weeds that show up. You can pull it across them pick a new line and repeat. Those cattails eat a lot of water.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

578 members (160user, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 10GaugeKS, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 63 invisible), 2,222 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,286
Posts18,448,823
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.