Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
I have patiently been waiting for some "tracking snow" all season long (October 22nd through November 27th) here in SW Montana and I can live with the fact NONE came - oh well.
But today (November 28th), the day after the Big Game Rifle season closed - its snowing hard, big ole fluffy flakes!
Just my luck.
I did have a good season though and got to be afield many days.
I could have shot two small bull Elk but passed on them waiting for Mr. Big (never showed).
I did harvest a dandy 10 point Whitetail Buck and have enjoyed liver and onions and some venison stew so far from it.
My mother LOVES venison and especially Elk meat so I will save much of the best steaks from my Whitetail for her.
My Danners are cleaned up and oiled and my Rifles are cleaned and put away - I have both Wolf and Cougar tags but have different guns and gear for them.
I hope all of you who Hunt Big Game had enjoyable, safe and successful Hunts this fall.
Geese, ice fishing, predator Hunting and gun shows are next on my agenda.
Happy holidays to all.
Drive careful.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Murphys law , good luck on the big predators !

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Our elk season passed with many days in the mid 60's and only a few nights with frost. The elk, with their winter coats, spent the season way high and on the steep northern slopes trying to stay cool.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Was gonna go caribou hunting today. -15, 15 mph wind- chill maybe -30. Decided against it. I have the clothing., but not the snow.

I keep thinking we up here sure could use some of that snow I see in the ND pipeline protest reports.

We only have about 2 inches of snow, with no more in sight for a couple weeks at least, making travel over that step-and-a-half tundra tussock really tough and hard on equipment. It's about 50% bare ground running, with nothing filling in the troughs...

OK- the total truth..... I just didn't feel like it. smile

Next weekend is supposed to be up around zero, with little wind - maybe I'll go out on the 4-wheeler instead. It's more designed for that stuff, tho it has no windscreen. But I'm not going that fast anyway, and it's quieter. Also it will comfortably only haul one caribou at a time (I have carried two), which puts some limit on my greed....

Last edited by las; 12/04/16.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Rock Chuck: The usual giant herds of Elk that come to SW Montanas valley floor ranches during our Hunting seasons did not materialize this year.
The herds that did come down to the valley ranches were less than half of last years (and the previous 10+ years) numbers/sizes.
I thought it might have been due to the enhanced harvests of Wolves (up to 5 tags per Wolf Hunter nowadays!)?
But I am sure the unfrozen water up high and the nutrient rich and thick grass up high had something (a lot?) to do with things.
I will say this - there are 26 Mule Deer within 100 yards of my home right now and they are fat and sassy and "enjoying" the easy November they just experienced here.
We set several all time high records here in November.
Good for the Elk - they should be in good numbers next year.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Las: I hope conditions (motivations?) turn out better for you soon.
I to was amazed at the snow and wind conditions that the protesters in North Dakota are enduring of recent!
We had a half inch of snow here today but its not windy and kind of warmish.
Good luck when you get out next week.
I have only endured that "step-and-a-half tundra tussock" conditions a time or two and it is miserable (to say the least) to walk/Hunt on.
Be careful out there by yourself.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

117 members (16penny, 280shooter, 257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 14idaho, 18 invisible), 1,381 guests, and 880 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,216
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.