Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Shot thus guy at 10 AM in 2D. First buck in over 20 years. Wife insisted I get thus one mounted.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Congrats

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Even sweeter.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Ahhh...the sweet smell of success. Just curious how many deer rifles you have bought or sold or traded in search for that elusive buck.

Doc

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore
Ahhh...the sweet smell of success. Just curious how many deer rifles you have bought or sold or traded in search for that elusive buck.

Doc

Far too many.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congratulations

Last edited by hillbillybear; 12/04/16.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congrats!

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
This one was interesting.....didn't have the best shot.....although he was close he was on the move. After having it skinned......looking at the body and the hide couldn't find the entry hole. The bullet exited just below the shoulder on the opposite side and took out the knuckle below the shoulder. He ran 30 yards and died instantly. The taxidermist said maybe I hit an artery that runs near the shoulder. There was no damage to the vitals.....just a lot of blood inside.

Interesting that I couldn't locate the entry hole......anyone ever had this happen.....or she'd some light on this?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Congrats on ending a long time without one. Pretty buck!

Golden............
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I admire your persistence. I know a lot of my buddies still living in PA gave up on hunting a long time ago, my best friend this year, and he shot a doozer two years ago.

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by shootsaswede
I admire your persistence. I know a lot of my buddies still living in PA gave up on hunting a long time ago, my best friend this year, and he shot a doozer two years ago.

I hear a lot of hunters saying this. My experience is the exact opposite I see a lot of deer.....and I am hunting State Game Lands.

I don't really have a choice. Hunting out of state isn't in the cards. So I do with what I have at my disposal.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Congrats and well done. cool

laissez les bons temps rouler
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Wow, that's sticking with it.

Truth be told, I'm just as happy these days with just making meat.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Wow, that's sticking with it.

Truth be told, I'm just as happy these days with just making meat.

I missed a few years hunting in that 20 yrs.....work got in the way....
my dad having Parkinsons.....having no one to hunt with....I won't hunt alone....but I fully intend on going every year. Who knows.....maybe another buck like this will come my way in the future.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Wonderful! Congratulations!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

Congrats!

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Why won't you hunt alone? I'd say 99% of my hunting has been alone.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats on breaking the drought...nice buck.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R

I am far from home and far in the woods. Plus I don't like my wife worrying about me.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by rahtreelimbs
This one was interesting.....didn't have the best shot.....although he was close he was on the move. After having it skinned......looking at the body and the hide couldn't find the entry hole. The bullet exited just below the shoulder on the opposite side and took out the knuckle below the shoulder. He ran 30 yards and died instantly. The taxidermist said maybe I hit an artery that runs near the shoulder. There was no damage to the vitals.....just a lot of blood inside.

Interesting that I couldn't locate the entry hole......anyone ever had this happen.....or she'd some light on this?
Can't shed any light, but it worked perfectly! Sometimes it's best to just leave it at that. Congrats on a beautiful deer!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Congratulations on your buck, and for breaking the dry spell.

I have hunted quite a bit by myself, but since '08, there have been three of us until this year a new son-in-law (not mine) made it 4. But he only goes a couple times a year. We do split up and hunt separately, and it's nice to have the help with dead deer. When we hear a shot, we'll come running if one is down, get it out to the processor, and get back to work.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Long dry spell, congratulations!

Dale

This space for rent

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nice job!

LOL
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The answer to the mystery--- 270 W. whistle grin

I commend your persistence. cool

Congrats >>>Never Give UP !!

Jerry

Oh, I forgot...you're an ugly muck. grin

That's why I don't put up any pics of myself. whistle

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Congrats Rich, nice deer. What rifle did you use. I know there has been a few over the years

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ChipM
Congrats Rich, nice deer. What rifle did you use. I know there has been a few over the years

Down to one go to rifle...Ruger 77 Compact 308 win. No more levers. This is my poor man's version of a mountain rifle. Shooting 3 shot groups under an inch at 100 yards with factory ammo gun is no slouch.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Congratulations!
Rob

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats! Is your wife says to take him to the taxidermist, then take him to the taxidermist.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Congratulations, Rich!!

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Congratulations!!

There is a reason why you never hear of anyone shooting a 308 winchester AI.... It can't be improved upon!! Molon Labe
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Congrats on the nice buck and ending the dry spell. As far as the hole thing goes, the only thing that I can come up with is if you skinned, dressed, and looked over the entire the deer and could not find but one hole that is your entrance and there was no exit. Total speculation on my part as I was not there for the shooting nor the autopsy.

One thing for sure is you have meat for the freezer and horns going on the wall! Congrats again! laugh

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by RJY66

Congrats on the nice buck and ending the dry spell. As far as the hole thing goes, the only thing that I can come up with is if you skinned, dressed, and looked over the entire the deer and could not find but one hole that is your entrance and there was no exit. Total speculation on my part as I was not there for the shooting nor the autopsy.

One thing for sure is you have meat for the freezer and horns going on the wall! Congrats again! laugh

Thing is the hole that was there (exit hole) was on the opposite side of where I shot.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
That's a hellova wait.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Me too until my son started hunting with me. I love being alone in the woods.

Camp is where you make it.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Wow congrats man that's a long dry streak!

My father used to say "hunger is the best sauce" I am sure that is the case for you here!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
rahtreelimbs, I have been hunting by myself since I turned 16 back in my younger days in PA. It would be hard to get lost in PA because I would wager to say at most places you couldn't walk 5 miles in a straight line in PA and not hit a road, house etc. I know that was the case when I lived in the Lehighton area. Maybe a bit more of a challenge in the upper middle of the state. Colorado on the other hand is a bit different. If I were you I wouldn't be too concerned with getting lost.

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Down to one go to rifle...Ruger 77 Compact 308 win. No more levers. This is my poor man's version of a mountain rifle. Shooting 3 shot groups under an inch at 100 yards with factory ammo gun is no slouch.

Nothing wrong with that setup, got the job done

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Good job, nice buck.

I hunted deer for 13 years before I killed my first buck.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
now that's what I call a dry spell! Congrats on a great buck!

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I should add that I hot my first buck around 1992......this is the first since then.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
rahtreelimbs, I have been hunting by myself since I turned 16 back in my younger days in PA. It would be hard to get lost in PA because I would wager to say at most places you couldn't walk 5 miles in a straight line in PA and not hit a road, house etc. I know that was the case when I lived in the Lehighton area. Maybe a bit more of a challenge in the upper middle of the state. Colorado on the other hand is a bit different. If I were you I wouldn't be too concerned with getting lost.

Getting lost is not the concern.....getting hurt by myself is.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R

This rifle has served me well for several years now. I tried the Kimber Montana route a few years ago and that didn't work out.....so I went this route.

R
RNF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Congratulations!

A gun in the hand is worth more than the entire police force on the phone.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Well congrats! You got him anyway.

Sometimes entry holes take a bit of looking to find, but obviously its there somewhere. And yep, there is normally no blood inside the cavity so full of it means something was clipped! Which is good.

I love the part about died instantly but ran 30 yards. LOL.

Congrats again, well done!

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Way to go Rich. I'm with you on hunting alone and getting hurt. Never used to think of it. One day I was looking in the towel closet and saw the family first aid kit my son made when he was in the Boy Scouts. All of a sudden it dawned on me we didn't have any kit on the farm in WV. I can use my cell phone to check the time, read books, use as a flash light. But no cell reception. My best hunting buddy was bow hunting by himself and his climber fell out from under him and left him hanging. Lucky he called another friend to come help him down. He was wearing his harness.

Boy, I don't know what I'd do if I only had one go to deer gun! I have at least 7 99 go to's. If I only had one, I'd be afraid I'd scratch it.

Congrats again, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

I guess that means you can always drive in the carpool lane...

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R

Just the way I hunt. When others have firearms not to mention rough terrain....I will take the safe route.....no need to worry my family either.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

WE know we can always count on S H's comprehension & compassion. smirk frown

Guys I've been doing my best to leave S H alone but sometimes he just brings out the best in me. smirk

Jerry

BTW - I won't be following for his retort.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Good going,Rich! You definitely earned that one. HOPE there's many more.

Meant to ask. Weaver K6?

Last edited by EZEARL; 12/06/16.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Congrats!

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congratulations!
For me I know that finally feeling you had when you got him!
My Hunting can be sumed up like this>
Started hunting 1965
1965 to 1983 = Zero Deer
1984 1ST Deer ever 4 pt Buck
1985 to 1995 = Zero Deer
1996 2 deer! Doe and Spike!
1997 to Present = Zero Deer
I did have a Heart Attack last year the first time
I went hunting !
Cost me $500 dollars and no hunting license for next 5 years.
Glad to see you have not give up!
What scope on you rifle?
Barrel length?
Load?
Thanks AMRA

Last edited by AMRA; 12/07/16.

Molan Labe
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Congrats!

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Way to go

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by jwall

WE know we can always count on S H's comprehension & compassion. smirk frown

Guys I've been doing my best to leave S H alone but sometimes he just brings out the best in me. smirk

Jerry

BTW - I won't be following for his retort.

Good thing, I didn't feel like a war of words with a retard this AM.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by AMRA
Congratulations!
Started hunting 1965
1965 to 1983 = Zero Deer
1985 to 1995 = Zero Deer
I went hunting !
What scope on you rifle?
Barrel length?
Load?
Thanks AMRA

Why no license for next 5 years? From a MI?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Just the way I hunt. When others have firearms not to mention rough terrain....I will take the safe route.....no need to worry my family either.

One year I flew 3500 miles one way, drove another 8 or so one way by myself. Went out in the woods for days and shot a moose all by myself. You take it a bit slower and easier, especially with the knife and gun use. And I carry a SPOT to send notes home that so far I"m still alive.

Dying or hurt, there is a way. Hurt I can hit SOS and get out. Dying, no better place than the woods IMHO.

It can be done.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rich - congrats!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by AMRA
Congratulations!
Started hunting 1965
1965 to 1983 = Zero Deer
1985 to 1995 = Zero Deer
I went hunting !
What scope on you rifle?
Barrel length?
Load?
Thanks AMRA

Why no license for next 5 years? From a MI?

No I have recovered pretty well since my MI back that night.
Not what I was before never will be again that is life.
The Game Warden that I mentioned here:
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/10949480/1
Wrote me up FELONY baiting for the Rotten Pumpkin my now
EX Son in law threw out of his truck with out telling me that
it was there.
No Hunting Lic. for 5 years after I paid the $500 ticket

Last edited by AMRA; 12/13/16.

Molan Labe
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanx!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rich, that's quite a drought. Congratulations!

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495

One year I flew 3500 miles one way, drove another 8 or so one way by myself. Went out in the woods for days and shot a moose all by myself. You take it a bit slower and easier, especially with the knife and gun use. And I carry a SPOT to send notes home that so far I"m still alive.

Dying or hurt, there is a way. Hurt I can hit SOS and get out. Dying, no better place than the woods IMHO.

It can be done.

But no one is nearly as phuggin' awesome as you are.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SKane

But no one is nearly as phuggin' awesome as you are.
HAHA!! Thanks for that.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

184 members (35, 338reddog, 300jimmy, 12344mag, 2UP, 007FJ, 18 invisible), 1,526 guests, and 911 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,584
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.