Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by rahtreelimbs
This one was interesting.....didn't have the best shot.....although he was close he was on the move. After having it skinned......looking at the body and the hide couldn't find the entry hole. The bullet exited just below the shoulder on the opposite side and took out the knuckle below the shoulder. He ran 30 yards and died instantly. The taxidermist said maybe I hit an artery that runs near the shoulder. There was no damage to the vitals.....just a lot of blood inside.

Interesting that I couldn't locate the entry hole......anyone ever had this happen.....or she'd some light on this?
Can't shed any light, but it worked perfectly! Sometimes it's best to just leave it at that. Congrats on a beautiful deer!

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Congratulations on your buck, and for breaking the dry spell.

I have hunted quite a bit by myself, but since '08, there have been three of us until this year a new son-in-law (not mine) made it 4. But he only goes a couple times a year. We do split up and hunt separately, and it's nice to have the help with dead deer. When we hear a shot, we'll come running if one is down, get it out to the processor, and get back to work.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Long dry spell, congratulations!

Dale

This space for rent

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nice job!

LOL
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The answer to the mystery--- 270 W. whistle grin

I commend your persistence. cool

Congrats >>>Never Give UP !!

Jerry

Oh, I forgot...you're an ugly muck. grin

That's why I don't put up any pics of myself. whistle

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Congrats Rich, nice deer. What rifle did you use. I know there has been a few over the years

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ChipM
Congrats Rich, nice deer. What rifle did you use. I know there has been a few over the years

Down to one go to rifle...Ruger 77 Compact 308 win. No more levers. This is my poor man's version of a mountain rifle. Shooting 3 shot groups under an inch at 100 yards with factory ammo gun is no slouch.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Congratulations!
Rob

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats! Is your wife says to take him to the taxidermist, then take him to the taxidermist.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Congratulations, Rich!!

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Congratulations!!

There is a reason why you never hear of anyone shooting a 308 winchester AI.... It can't be improved upon!! Molon Labe
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
This one was interesting.....didn't have the best shot.....although he was close he was on the move. After having it skinned......looking at the body and the hide couldn't find the entry hole. The bullet exited just below the shoulder on the opposite side and took out the knuckle below the shoulder. He ran 30 yards and died instantly. The taxidermist said maybe I hit an artery that runs near the shoulder. There was no damage to the vitals.....just a lot of blood inside.

Interesting that I couldn't locate the entry hole......anyone ever had this happen.....or she'd some light on this?

Congrats on the nice buck and ending the dry spell. As far as the hole thing goes, the only thing that I can come up with is if you skinned, dressed, and looked over the entire the deer and could not find but one hole that is your entrance and there was no exit. Total speculation on my part as I was not there for the shooting nor the autopsy.

One thing for sure is you have meat for the freezer and horns going on the wall! Congrats again! laugh

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by RJY66

Congrats on the nice buck and ending the dry spell. As far as the hole thing goes, the only thing that I can come up with is if you skinned, dressed, and looked over the entire the deer and could not find but one hole that is your entrance and there was no exit. Total speculation on my part as I was not there for the shooting nor the autopsy.

One thing for sure is you have meat for the freezer and horns going on the wall! Congrats again! laugh

Thing is the hole that was there (exit hole) was on the opposite side of where I shot.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
That's a hellova wait.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Why won't you hunt alone? I'd say 99% of my hunting has been alone.

Me too until my son started hunting with me. I love being alone in the woods.

Camp is where you make it.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Wow congrats man that's a long dry streak!

My father used to say "hunger is the best sauce" I am sure that is the case for you here!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
rahtreelimbs, I have been hunting by myself since I turned 16 back in my younger days in PA. It would be hard to get lost in PA because I would wager to say at most places you couldn't walk 5 miles in a straight line in PA and not hit a road, house etc. I know that was the case when I lived in the Lehighton area. Maybe a bit more of a challenge in the upper middle of the state. Colorado on the other hand is a bit different. If I were you I wouldn't be too concerned with getting lost.

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by ChipM

Down to one go to rifle...Ruger 77 Compact 308 win. No more levers. This is my poor man's version of a mountain rifle. Shooting 3 shot groups under an inch at 100 yards with factory ammo gun is no slouch.

Nothing wrong with that setup, got the job done

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Good job, nice buck.

I hunted deer for 13 years before I killed my first buck.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
now that's what I call a dry spell! Congrats on a great buck!

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

454 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 41 invisible), 2,072 guests, and 1,119 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,762
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.