Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
BeanMan Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I was watching Rocky's post about a missile launch and it got me to wondering. How good are we at intercepting and terminating a missile flight, for example, one launched by North Korea aimed in our direction? I assume we have some capability but that it isn't doesn't have a high kill probability.

GB1

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Bend over, kiss you azz goodbyeby

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
The Navy's Aegis ships have the capacity, but I can't say I place much reliance on it.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
What ever happened to Reagan's Star Wars project?

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Google 49th Missile Defense Battalion, Ft Greely AK. Ground based interceptor location.

IC B2

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Everything the general public knows about America's military capabilities is outdated.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The one in Israel is pretty good. And we give it to them.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Patriot Missile system.. Scud busters..

Last edited by CEJ1895; 12/05/16.

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MikeL2
Google 49th Missile Defense Battalion, Ft Greely AK. Ground based interceptor location.

^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If they told us, they'd have to shoot us.

1Minute
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No system is going to stop them all. There isn't even a system that will stop all airplanes from getting through.

But it's better to stop all you can.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BeanMan
I was watching Rocky's post about a missile launch and it got me to wondering. How good are we at intercepting and terminating a missile flight, for example, one launched by North Korea aimed in our direction? I assume we have some capability but that it isn't doesn't have a high kill probability.

I was actually part of the ballistic missile defense project a few years ago as the Combat Systems Officer on a guided missile Cruiser. During that time, we launched 2 exo-atmospheric projective missile from our ship at Minuteman missiles. The issue with ship launch systems is the range. The best you can expect from a ship is a theater ballistic missile intercept, not an intercontinental ballistic missile intercept. The other limitation is that the ship would pretty much need to be at or near right under the path of the missile. Trying to hit a target going mach 5+ in a crossing or chasing geometry isn't going to happen.

Land based systems allow you to have a lot bigger and longer range intercepts, but the physics challenge of chasing down such a high altitude and high speed target doesn't go away. We may be able to guess where the source of launch is, but the land target could be anywhere in a 1,500 mile range. The other lesser understood challenge is that at the altitudes of intercept expected, the atmosphere is so thin that explosive destruction of the target is not reliable. There just isn't enough air to give the shock wave enough kinetic energy to kill a traget that so hardened it can survive orbit re-entry. So most of these weapons are designed with kinetic kill vehicles that are ejected and attempt a skin to skin hit- very difficult to do.

If I told you any more, I'd have to kill you grin

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Excellent post..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by MikeL2

I hope they are good. I smile every time we drive by the base!

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I think the big problem is quantity. The intercontinental missiles that the major powers use these days are essentially nuclear cluster bombs. They have to be hit before they release their payload or instead of having one target, you've got 20.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Exactly right hence, the argument of building it, WHEN IT INVOLVED THE SOVIETS with thousands of warheads. For Rogue nations like N Korea and Iran, it's a very doable option. Personally I favor invasion..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
BeanMan Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks guys, I knew if I asked here that there would be someone with real knowledge. That's why I keep coming to the fire.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Exactly right hence, the argument of building it, WHEN IT INVOLVED THE SOVIETS with thousands of warheads. For Rogue nations like N Korea and Iran, it's a very doable option. Personally I favor invasion..

Jorge, the moment you get all your troops on the ground in North Korea the mad bastards would let everything they have go at once just to get up your nose, and hang the consequence.

And the people there are so indoctrinated they would stand in line to watch the current dill in charge press the button.

As for Iran, we can only hope they are silly enough to press the wrong button on a test run when shewing obama what his dollar purchased.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot

I was actually part of the ballistic missile defense project a few years ago as the Combat Systems Officer on a guided missile Cruiser. During that time, we launched 2 exo-atmospheric projective missile from our ship at Minuteman missiles. The issue with ship launch systems is the range. The best you can expect from a ship is a theater ballistic missile intercept, not an intercontinental ballistic missile intercept. The other limitation is that the ship would pretty much need to be at or near right under the path of the missile. Trying to hit a target going mach 5+ in a crossing or chasing geometry isn't going to happen.

Land based systems allow you to have a lot bigger and longer range intercepts, but the physics challenge of chasing down such a high altitude and high speed target doesn't go away. We may be able to guess where the source of launch is, but the land target could be anywhere in a 1,500 mile range. The other lesser understood challenge is that at the altitudes of intercept expected, the atmosphere is so thin that explosive destruction of the target is not reliable. There just isn't enough air to give the shock wave enough kinetic energy to kill a traget that so hardened it can survive orbit re-entry. So most of these weapons are designed with kinetic kill vehicles that are ejected and attempt a skin to skin hit- very difficult to do.

Would it be possible to mobilize fighter jets to shoot one down?

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot

Would it be possible to mobilize fighter jets to shoot one down?

Mach 5+ in the stratosphere - ummm, no on the fighter jets. Best just blow them to hell on the launch pad.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

121 members (69sportfury, 300jimmy, 338reddog, 2500HD, 3333vl, 14 invisible), 1,291 guests, and 855 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,718
Posts18,457,126
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.