Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Pat85
Originally Posted by 4winds

A true sport will always be determined by the merits of a team or single athlete. Once you inject subjectivity it becomes a pageant. Computers, judges and especially press writers are awful models for determining the best teams in the country and should stick to dance shows and cheerleading competitions.

This

Well said.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Big 12 commissioner seeks clarity on Ohio State, Washington playoff berths

Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby would like some clarity from College Football Playoff officials on the importance of conference championship games and strength of schedule, he told ESPN on Sunday after the selection committee put 11-1 Ohio State in at No. 3 despite the Buckeyes not winning the Big Ten East Division or their conference title.

In the end, the top four teams entering the conference championship games -- Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State and Washington -- were selected for the College Football Playoff.

"Obviously I acknowledge the difficulty of the task, but I'm not sure what I advise my members right now, because we've been telling them that non-conference schedules matter, and one of the four has an exceedingly weak non-conference schedule," he said, referring to No. 4 Washington, which notched wins over Rutgers, Idaho and FCS Portland State. "And we've been telling them the 13th data point matters, and we added a conference championship game because of that. We've always heard that conference championships matter and division championships matter, and now it's confusing."

He added, "I'll have some questions to ask when the time is right."

In 2014, after TCU dropped from No. 3 to No. 6 in the final rankings for the first year of the playoff, the Big 12 went through more than a year of discussions and debates and even hired data consultants to help determine whether it needed to add a conference championship game to best position the league for the playoff. In June, the Big 12 decided to bring its title game back in 2017 and announced in October that the game would pit the league's top two teams against each other instead of going to divisions.

At that time, Bowlsby said, "Given our round-robin, nine-game scheduling model, it is expected the Big 12 champion will be uniquely positioned for College Football Playoff consideration."

Now he's not so sure.

"I'm just looking for clarity," Bowlsby said. "We didn't have a team that was a likely participant in the playoff, and so from that standpoint it doesn't make a lot of difference to us this year, but I'd just like to know what we're supposed to advise our members. Does the 13th data point make a difference, or does it not? Does the conference championship game make a difference, or does it not? Are they only used as tiebreakers, or is it other metrics?

"In TCU's case, they fell out of the playoff. They had a great year and had a Heisman Trophy candidate at quarterback and won by 50 points on the last day of the season, but we were told the reason they didn't get in, the reason they fell, was they didn't have a 13th data point and they didn't have a championship. Now I think it's reasonable to seek clarity on that, and when the time is right, I will ask those questions."

After Baylor's abysmal nonconference schedule had been called into question in each of the first two years of the playoff, the Big 12 also issued a scheduling mandate throughout the league to help boost strength of schedule. The Big 12's current scheduling policy is that schools aren't allowed to play more than one FCS opponent and they have to play one other Power 5 opponent.

"We've told our schools you shouldn't be surprised if you don't get in if you play a weak nonconference schedule, and then somebody with a weak nonconference schedule does get in," Bowlsby said. "It's just another case in which we need to seek clarification."

"They have a difficult job to do," he said of the 12 members on the selection committee. "We just need to know what the rules are."

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GeoW
Two teams will be very embarrassed by Alabama, the first being Washington..

Hmmm....that didn't exactly happen last year!! Is there something different about this season?

Pretty much same 2 teams right?

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Put pictures of Bob Bowlsby and a capybara side-by-side sometime.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by byc
Originally Posted by GeoW
Two teams will be very embarrassed by Alabama, the first being Washington..

Hmmm....that didn't exactly happen last year!! Is there something different about this season?

Pretty much same 2 teams right?

Not a Bama fan but I've watched them enough this season to be comfortable with my prediction. 🤓

Will enjoy the Clemson-Bama match up. Clemson will hang with Bama for a while.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

I hope Alabama wins it all but there have been enough upsets this season that nothing is a given.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by jdunham
Originally Posted by jwp475

If you can't even win your conference division much less your conference, then you have no business playing for the national championship. NONE.

This new system is no less of a cluster [bleep] than the old one. I could care less who gets in but how do you not win your conference and get a shot at the title? crazy

Yes they(CFP) knew it and continued on with this stupid 4 team format

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by jdunham
Originally Posted by jwp475

If you can't even win your conference division much less your conference, then you have no business playing for the national championship. NONE.

This new system is no less of a cluster [bleep] than the old one. I could care less who gets in but how do you not win your conference and get a shot at the title? crazy

Yes they(CFP) knew it and continued on with this stupid 4 team format

Agree with all of these.
This year exposes the worst parts about the 4 team format.

This year there is no dispute about #1 so the playoff seems meaningless.
Meanwhile #5, #6, #7 all will have a legitimate claim to #1 if they win their bowl games.

Would have been far better with traditional bowl invitations/matchups then decide.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

638 members (06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1936M71, 66 invisible), 3,264 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,590
Posts18,454,293
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.