Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
jbuck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Here he is. He got his first ducks as part of a double. Then got way too pumped up and forgot to wait for me to shoot the next group that we jumped. I was extremely happy. Just need to get him out a few more times to get him settled I hope.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good looking pup there. I too decided to restart this journey and picked up a new chocolate lab male. Should be pretty big when grown if he follows his parentage.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Could you elaborate on the disposition of the Chess's you have owned?

You hear so much about being a one person dog, tough to train, biters.

I would like to hear your experiences.

Thanks

Steve in CT.

J
jbuck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I've owned two, the first one was the standard Chesapeake that you read about. He was my dog, and didn't like other dogs since he was 8 weeks old. He was killed in a accident pretty young though.

I cannot say good enough things about Skookum Creek Chesapeakes, where I got Hank from. I think breeding has a lot to do with how his temperament turned out.
He is extremely mild mannered and the perfect family dog. I have 3 boys at home (12, 3, and 3weeks) he is attentive to all of us. I haven't had any problems aggression towards visitors or other dogs. He will bark at night when someone comes over, but calms down and trying to get attention as soon as they come in. Hank has the insane athletic ability and drive that I expected from him. And he does get into trouble if left alone too long though, he still has a lot of puppy in him though.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
GOOD lookin' Chessie -

Hank is the same color and looks about the same size as my first Chessie . . . about 125# during hunting season, a bit more come spring. Great waterfowl and upland game dog. He was a bit of a "one person" dog when I first got him, but became a multiple person dog once he became acquainted w/ others. When our son was a toddler (and before) he would wrestle with Casey and pull his tail and ears - never did show any aggressiveness toward our son.

Casey in approx 1975 . . . he's been gone since 1984.
[Linked Image]

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
IC B2

Q
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Q
Gettin a Skookum Creek pup come February. They were born about a week ago.
Enjoy reading about your Hank
Going to name mine Butch I think.

"When a man with a pistol meets a man with a rifle, the man with a pistol is a dead man."
J
jbuck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Otter
GOOD lookin' Chessie -

Hank is the same color and looks about the same size as my first Chessie . . . about 125# during hunting season, a bit more come spring. Great waterfowl and upland game dog. He was a bit of a "one person" dog when I first got him, but became a multiple person dog once he became acquainted w/ others. When our son was a toddler (and before) he would wrestle with Casey and pull his tail and ears - never did show any aggressiveness toward our son.

Casey in approx 1975 . . . he's been gone since 1984.
[Linked Image]

He is a good looking dog. Hope hank can learn to run upland birds. He is a hell of a flusher right now. Not much for pointing tho

J
jbuck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by QSX15
Gettin a Skookum Creek pup come February. They were born about a week ago.
Enjoy reading about your Hank
Going to name mine Butch I think.

Your going to love him. Tim did a great job training hank as well if you are considering having him trained.

Last edited by jbuck; 12/12/16.
Q
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Q

[/quote]

Your going to love him. Tim did a great job training hank as well if you are considering having him trained. [/quote]

Good to know
I will certainly have that discussion with him.

"When a man with a pistol meets a man with a rifle, the man with a pistol is a dead man."
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 16penny, 160user, 54 invisible), 2,314 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,616
Posts18,454,956
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.