Hop To
#8855668 05/11/14
BOFF Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Alright gentlemen.

I have a drilling by Richard Fanzoi of Ferlach Austrailia. 30.06/12ga 3"

The person before me used steel shot out of both 12 ga. barrels. The gun is well used and hunted with in close inspection.

It slightly buldged both barrels, and it split the front sight/rib from both barrels at the end of the gun.

I have been unable to find a gunsmith who will, or is qualified to repair this gun.

Who is qualified to do so.

Thanks in advance!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Natural lay of rib:
[Linked Image]

Slightly pulling on rib:
[Linked Image]

Left barrel rib lay:
[Linked Image]

Right barrel rib lay:

[Linked Image]

God Bless,
David B.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The repair will probably involve cutting the barrels back of the bulges, then re-installing the front sight and solder back the rib. So far, any quality gunsmith can do that.

Now the tougher work...

Have Briley chokes installed in both barrels, and have someone like Lee LeBas (learmesmsn.com)or JJ Perodeau at Champlin (www.champlinarms.com) do the work to install the sight, solder the rib, and re-regulate the barrels.

It's going to cost plenty. whistle

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

BOFF Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Most here don't want to take the time to do the work.

My understanding is the whole rib would need to be removed, soldered, and then the barrels reblued.

As for the bulging, it is slight. I need to pattern each barrel.

I really don't want to have to re-regulate the barrels, or cut them down. It may be necessary though.

I was hoping there might be a process of soldering the rib without needing to regulate the barrels.

Thank you for the information.

I take it you have had your own work done by JJ Perodeau to recommend him?

God Bless,
David B.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I would call Dennis Olson in Plains, MT at (406)826-3790

He is more than capable, be aware, he doesn't talk much...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He's an excellent master gunsmith. wink

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B2

BOFF Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
So have either of you had work done by either gunsmith?

Appreciate the information.

God Bless,
David B.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BOFF
So have either of you had work done by either gunsmith?

Appreciate the information.

God Bless,
David B.

I don't know where to start. I have had Dennis Olson make 4 custom rifles for me, work on several rare and unknown guns and he was able to make everything that I have sent to him work, regardless of the age or rarity.

Whatever he couldn't find a part to fix, he would make one, including a flat spring that was broken and a part of it missing in a Burgess Slide action shotgun. I sent it to him and it wouldn't function, it came back in short time working with a broken part in a baggie with the explanation that he built a new spring.

I bought a high condition Colt lightning SRC and it shot high. I called him and he told me he could build up the front sight without ruining the bluing on the barrel. I have pictures of that as well as a Colt Bisley 38-40 that he built up the front sight on as well.

He has done enough other work that I don't ever worry that I have something regardless of how complicated or rare it may be that he can still make anything work. The finish on all these rifles is hand rubbed oil finish, not a lacquer or hard finish. I have also included pictures of the guns he built for me and not one was ever a year waiting...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

223 on Sako Rihiimaki donor action with Lilja fluted barrel...

[Linked Image]

222 on Sako Rihiimaki donor action with Lilja barrel...

[Linked Image]

220 Swift on Sako L-57 donor action with 27 inch Lilja fluted barrel...

[Linked Image]

6mm Remington on Sako L-57 donor action with Lilja barrel...

[img]http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee202/bridgershooters/rifles/126_4262_zpsb9cf50f4.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee202/bridgershooters/rifles/100_3856.jpg[/img]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've seen JJ's. Lee LeBas just a week ago re-scoped my Simson 90 12/12/7X65R drilling and has worked on dozens of my combination guns over the last 15 years.

Dennis Olson took my dad's old Mdl 70 with a dog-knot under the front sight from snow in the barrel the last time he shot it and opened the action, then installed and perfectly indexed to existing sites an original 375 barrel that Ray Atkinson gave me. Dennis then refinished the stock and retraced the checkering. He cleaned up the bottom metal and installed new screws.

The old Mdl 70 looked like it should be in an original box with hanging tags. The price was very reasonable, and he turned it around in three weeks for me.

So...yes...

BOFF Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thank you both luv2safari and shrapnel for your time.

Beautiful rifles shrapnel.

The figure in the stocks is gorgeous!!

God Bless,
David B.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've had JJ work on several drillings. His work is excellent!
Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had work done by Lee LeBas, JJ, and Reto Buhler. All three are top notch craftsmen. Reto's turn around time is on the long side, but he does beautiful work, as do the other's mentioned. Also have had Briley install chokes in a drilling. Superb work, and in a timely manner.

Jeff

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was extremely pleased with the bolt gun work Dennis Olsen did for me, but for a drilling or double I would go to JJ.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
BOFF Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Gentleman,

Time gets away with us.

Still haven't moved on this, but current plan is sending it the end of January, as shipping will be less of a hassle.

I plan on contacting the above gunsmiths, but wanted to check and see if in the amount of time I have let this slide, if any changes have been made to their work, health, locations, etc.

Thanks again for your help and input.

God Bless,
David B.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by akjeff
I've had work done by Lee LeBas, JJ, and Reto Buhler. All three are top notch craftsmen. Reto's turn around time is on the long side, but he does beautiful work, as do the other's mentioned. Also have had Briley install chokes in a drilling. Superb work, and in a timely manner.

Jeff

Briley works on doubles, not much they can't do. I'm not sure if they do drilling. May want to add them to your call list. Doesn't hurt to ask.

DF

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Pete Mazur does excellent work as well. He repaired a bulge, opened up the chokes, and reworked the triggers on one of mine.

In my case, the repair involved inserting a brass mandrel into the barrel and reforming the steel around it.

He did a beautiful job.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
649 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 55 invisible), 3,137 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,741
Posts18,401,179
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.