Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Can the iPhone mark waypoints, show the direction back to waypoints, and track your route and then do trackback?

Casey

I haven't had the situation arise where I needed to, but I don't see why it couldn't. The app I use marks waypoints accurately in my experience, and has a track feature. I'll see what it can do in that regard next time I head out.

Tanner

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Thanks Tanner!

Although I just bought a new Oregon, it might be worth while to get a GPS app for my iPhone too.

First, gotta figure out the new GPS........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Get the "Topo Maps" app. It's $7.99, can be used off line, and all map downloads are free.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Can the iPhone mark waypoints, show the direction back to waypoints, and track your route and then do trackback?

Casey

Doesn't seem like it can do that on airplane mode?
Wouldn't it need to communicate w/ sat or cell towers?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
It does need to communicate with satellites for GPS, but since that is a "receive only" communication, it stays enabled in airplane mode.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by cwh2
It does need to communicate with satellites for GPS, but since that is a "receive only" communication, it stays enabled in airplane mode.

I wondered about that--it's good to know.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Tanner

Casey

I haven't had the situation arise where I needed to, but I don't see why it couldn't. The app I use marks waypoints accurately in my experience, and has a track feature. I'll see what it can do in that regard next time I head out.

Tanner

Yes.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Casey

Most apps will allow that but as I said above, Google earth will let you set waypoints and works without cell service and it's free.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I stopped using my near new at the time Garmin Oregon four years ago when I got a smartphone. The way I use it, my battery lasts between 2 and 4 days, depending on how much reading I do. I have both a booster pack and a spare battery (you can swap them with my S4).

Where I use it, it connects faster than my Garmin's have and is at least as accurate. I find it easier to use across the board, it has a much better screen, awesome maps and land ownership for free or cheap, and I'm carrying it anyways. I'm running Backcountry Navigator, for Ios Gaia seems solid as well.

I'm not switching back, that's for sure!

Empirical results rule!
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I heard a comment the other day:

"Calling the new smart phones a phone is like calling a Bentley a cup holder"

Interpretation: Bentleys do a lot of things well, but holding cups is not one of them.

Lol. I'd say it has more to do with the capability of the device, whether a Bentley or an Iphone, far exceeding a term that denotes a simplistic function.

β€œLife is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you are concerned about breaking your iPhone get a Otterbox for it.
I have been using them sense my iPhone 3.
I had my iPhone 5s fall out of a Cessna 172 at over 200 feet and land on the runway (long story)and it still worked.
This past summer while riding my Harley I had my 6s fly out of my pocket while going over 90 mph on I90. It bounced off the concrete center medium and went flipping down the highway. By the time I got to it it had been run over by a bunch of cars. It messed up the Otterbox but the phone still works, didn't even break the screen.
The Otterbox is waterproof too.

Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
I've seen them take crazy falls without breaking, (although the 172 story takes the cake, and I'd love to hear that story!) but then pop on a 2-foot drop where they land just right. Last breakage was 2 feet onto gravel. No doubt the life-proof cases and otter boxes help, but if I have to put it in a rubber case to keep from breaking it, I'm not going to carry it. I just don't need a phone that badly. I'm aware that I'm the exception on that though.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
The way I look at it, the "phone" feature is used less on my iPhone than about anything else. My Lifeproof case is minimally larger than the regular case and I can comfortably have it out in my Packraft.

Ed T

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Thanks, Chris.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
So what is airplane mode?

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
It disables Wifi and cell service. You still have connection to satellites.

Ed T

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And it really saves your battery.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
bigwhoop-
it's a battery saving function. Also, airlines require phones to be off in flight. This serves basically the same function without powering down. It leaves other phone functions like camera etc. available

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If you don't have cell service available, it will keep searching for it and that takes power. Putting it on airplane will stop the searching and save the battery.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Airplane mode = the phone spends 100% of its energy observing and 0% trying to talk. Sort of the opposite of female mode.

Heh heh -- wife never reads 24HR smile

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (10Glocks, 257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 68 invisible), 2,637 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,672
Posts18,456,039
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.