Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by mart
I've used it a time or two. My most recent was a cow moose at 75 yards who refused to give me any other shot. I hit with a 400 grain Hawk from my 400 Whelen. Broke the pelvis and one hip socket. Never found the bullet but the meat damage was less than a large coffee cup full. It must of hit the femoral artery as she was unable to even trash when I got to her right after the shot. I did finish her with the 44 Special to the head but it probably wasn't necessary.

Gutless is the only way to go, especially when you are by your self with a moose.

Never done gutless on a moose and have done one all by myself. Didn't think that pulling the guts out was a big chore, but I'll have to remember that, but it would be a PITA to get the ribs or trim the ribs with gutless? No?

No, not really. I start by skinning one side down as far as I can and remove the hind quarter and front quarter on that side. I bone out the backstrap and neck meat and use my little hand saw to cut the ribs off next to the spine. I roll the the carcass over and repeat. When I'm done the spine lifts away from the gut pile and I remove the tenderloins. Takes me about 2-2.5 hours to filet a moose by myself.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
ruins the chitterlings.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did one by accident, and while the animal was slam-dunked, it was far from dead or immobile. Lots of cries and attempts to crawl away with the forelegs. With a little dancing and a knife it was over. For sure not the way I wanted to do things, since it was Cookie's first big game hunting experience. I was wrong, but figured she'd never go out again.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, it's not the prettiest sight. That's why I attempted the long-distance coup-etc.
My nephew's first chance at a deer didn't go well; I feared a turn-off there, but he came through with flying colors.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I've used it a time or two. My most recent was a cow moose at 75 yards who refused to give me any other shot. I hit with a 400 grain Hawk from my 400 Whelen. Broke the pelvis and one hip socket. Never found the bullet but the meat damage was less than a large coffee cup full. It must of hit the femoral artery as she was unable to even trash when I got to her right after the shot. I did finish her with the 44 Special to the head but it probably wasn't necessary.

Gutless is the only way to go, especially when you are by your self with a moose.

Never done gutless on a moose and have done one all by myself. Didn't think that pulling the guts out was a big chore, but I'll have to remember that, but it would be a PITA to get the ribs or trim the ribs with gutless? No?

No, not really. I start by skinning one side down as far as I can and remove the hind quarter and front quarter on that side. I bone out the backstrap and neck meat and use my little hand saw to cut the ribs off next to the spine. I roll the the carcass over and repeat. When I'm done the spine lifts away from the gut pile and I remove the tenderloins. Takes me about 2-2.5 hours to filet a moose by myself.

Interesting. Will have to remember that. Generally I leave the ribs but get the meat off and from between....

Your method might be a better deal.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

We did my BC Moose gutless this year. Sawed the sternum in half and then pulled the rib cage up toward the spine and broke it off at the spine. Had to use saw on one side the other one broke off clean. Pulled the inner loin out after removing the ribs. A guy could just as easy trim the rib meat as well. Pretty neat job when we got done there was just the legs,hide,spine and guts left.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've done it a few times too, but never on purpose. Deer can do a lot of things quicker than a guy has the reaction time to let off the trigger.

It can be deadly no doubt, but every once in a while it can turn into an absolute rodeo. A direct headed away shot with the bullet hitting the base of the tail is about the deadliest and cleanest shot there is, but miss it by an inch or so and you have a mess on your hands.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Only once considered it and thought better, instead of aiming for the jab eye. Aim for and through the middle of the shoulder blades into back of neck, that is if its a must do anyway. Personally I just count that one as a he won this time maybe next time. I get that it does happen accidentally especially at longer ranges.

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by pointer

[Linked Image]

Great buck. I thot I had mentioned this earlier but I reckon I just thot about it and didn't.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I don't take a Texas Heart Shot.. and that's not said, meaning to criticize those who do...but I hate the mess and its just humiliating even if it is a deer, to get killed by getting shot in the ass...

Instead I take, the Minnesota Neck Shot... ( my name for it, as I learned to do it in my Minnesota day, hunting Northern MN, where I took a couple that way up near International Falls)....

I aim over the tail at the neck... If I miss, its a clean miss.... but so far I've been lucky enough, not to miss...

I've take about half a dozen that way.... the bullet impacting the neck and hitting the spinal cord, or hitting the spinal cord on the back just behind the neck as it seesaws while the deer is running away....

The bullet hitting backbone is pretty lethal and pretty much right there... the deer belly landing on their nose from a dead run...

most of the shoots have never been over 125 yds, so you don't have to be Deadeye Dick to make them...

only one was really bloody and messy.... a 22.250, shooting a 70 grain Speer...that one was at about 200... I was surprised I hit that one... the 70 grain Speer hit the spinal column and came out the neck about the size of a book, and opened his neck open like a book...

that one was messy and bloody....

but lethality is INSTANT!

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

701 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 160user, 16Racing, 163bc, 67 invisible), 3,136 guests, and 1,361 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,581
Posts18,454,147
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.