24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Odd you mention that Oryx give you a dose of buck fever. They affect my wife the same way. She has shot four of them I think, and we had a follow up and finish off on each one. Everything else she pointed at in Africa succumbed immediately!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
BP-B2

E
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Ken,

You say that, like it's a bad thing !

grin
Always have an eye out for a rifle and I can just hear say that.

Ingwe,I've killed two oryx here in New Mexico and remember a little bit of "buck fever" but geez,never had it like that before. blush

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Woo Hoo! Good for you buddy!

Glad the RUM proved to be enough gun at 25 yards smile

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
E
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
Woo Hoo! Good for you buddy!

Glad the RUM proved to be enough gun at 25 yards smile
Thanks.

Me too! grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
elk, enjoyed the new photos.. Great job.. I love that place.. Thought when I retired I might move there for a few years.. My wife would have none of it..

The thing that keeps me from a return trip is the long plaine ride both ways.. If I ever could afford more than coach, I would go.. Looking forward to the next pics.

Molon Labe
IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
True.

Now all I'll hear from my wife is "Can't buy that cause we are saving money to go back to Africa." grin

LOL, I've decided on going back in the fall of '17 to complete my spiral horn five, that Kudu bull I was lucky enough to kill has to be accompanied by his other four spiral horned comrades.

Wifey has a dang 16' long suspended canning cabinet that the backside will be a perfect mounting piece for all five facing off out into my room of the house, saddles and tack, guns and animal heads, knives, fireplace and wood with cigars and scotch, that's my spot! grin

Trump Won!
E
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
I'm going back for eland and sable. Did see two huge impala that wearing on the mind and just maybe a black wildebeest.

We shall see.

Wife is going to take her .280 Rem,so something for her to shoot at.

Will see the company rep Saturday to pay what I still owe and discuss the next trip.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
E
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
elk, enjoyed the new photos.. Great job.. I love that place.. Thought when I retired I might move there for a few years.. My wife would have none of it..

The thing that keeps me from a return trip is the long plaine ride both ways.. If I ever could afford more than coach, I would go.. Looking forward to the next pics.
Understand,it's a PITA.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by gunner500

LOL, I've decided on going back in the fall of '17 to complete my spiral horn five, that Kudu bull I was lucky enough to kill has to be accompanied by his other four spiral horned comrades.

Which four Gunner? I can only think of bushbuck,Nyala, and eland...unless of course you're saving big for bongo! laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I'm going back for eland and sable. Did see two huge impala that wearing on the mind and just maybe a black wildebeest.

The price of sable is coming back down! Eland will give you a walk,impalas are always cool,but FWIW I was kinda disappointed in the black wildebeest....like his blue cousin they struck me as a bit scatter brained.

IC B3

E
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
My PH described it as "A bee in the bonnet." While stalking the blue wildebeest,for some reason they just took off. Wind and sun were in our favor,but they just took off. He said the black wildebeest was the same way.

The outfitter made an offer on sable that I cannot refuse. Going to hunt for an "over the hill" "past his prime" bull.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
My PH described it as "A bee in the bonnet." While stalking the blue wildebeest,for some reason they just took off. Wind and sun were in our favor,but they just took off. He said the black wildebeest was the same way.

The outfitter made an offer on sable that I cannot refuse. Going to hunt for an "over the hill" "past his prime" bull.

Half the time wildebeest will run a couple hundred yards, stare at each other and run back...

An over the hill sable would be skookum!

E
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by ingwe

Half the time wildebeest will run a couple hundred yards, stare at each other and run back...

An over the hill sable would be skookum!
Yes it would be,along with an over the hill eland bull.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Ken,

You say that, like it's a bad thing !

grin
Always have an eye out for a rifle and I can just hear say that.

Ingwe,I've killed two oryx here in New Mexico and remember a little bit of "buck fever" but geez,never had it like that before. blush

You picked some nice animals. Like you I've only been over once, but I didn't even know I wanted a Blesbuck until I saw one over there.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
E
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Actually,this is my second safari in South Africa. The first was in October 1995.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by gunner500

Which four Gunner? I can only think of bushbuck,Nyala, and eland...unless of course you're saving big for bongo! laugh

That'll work Elk. cool

No Bongo Poobs, 35K is outrageous, blame the four instead of five on my excited oldtimers disease.

Trump Won!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Nice job. I can't wait until my next trip to the Dark Continent.

E
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Thanks Tmc0304.

Can't wait either to get back.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
great pics and

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Chief,

Well ain't that just dandy. Goin huntin' for "over the hill" "past his prime" type critters. I'm guessin' those PH's just aren't into lettin' the poor guys retire in comfort to live out their days? shocked

Sheesh, maybe that's what they're waitin' for me to do, get past my prime so's they can harvest me, before I can retire in comfort. eek

Anyhooo, excellente mi amigo! When I say the kitty taking a dirt nap on the other thread I figured you had a good time. Probably an understatement, eh?

Thanks for the pics.

Geno

PS, I didn't see any reference to any game shot with that lil' ol' jackrabbit gun, she didn't go along for the ride?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
515 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 51 invisible), 2,255 guests, and 1,034 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,179
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.